Moving to DR in 2007

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Hola!

I'm brand new to this forum (and fairly new to the 'move to DR' community). I've visited the DR 3 times now and am completed taken with the culture and people. I am beginning some plans to move down with my 5 year old son for a year or so and see how we like it.

I am planning a 2-3 week trip in september to explore areas we may be interested in living (thinking the east coast - punta cana area or south coast, bayahibe/la romana etc...). I'm not sure the large city setting of S. Domingo would be quite right for us but I have read that there are many schools in this area. We would also be starting to think about finding a rental property during our visit.

Any suggestions of areas to explore or avoid or property agencies to contact or avoid?? or other ideas on how best to plan this trip (places to stay etc) and areas to explore. Any thoughts would be well appreciated!!! Thanks

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
To be honest I am only responding to your message as no-one else has which I find surprising (and thought you might find disappointing) as there are usually lots of very experienced ex-pats who have lived here a while who love to give their expert advice to newcomers. Firstly, hen you say you are moving down to DR I assume you are in the US - well I am from the UK and moved here last June. We live on the North Coast which is far from the location area you are considering so I can offer no advice or suggestions as to accommodation or agencies there. Anyway, I did read your post and am sure one of the more experienced people can offer you advice and I wish you luck in your responses.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Having lived in the country for 21 years, I guess I am one of the experienced expats that whirleybird referred to.

A large percentage of the expats on dr1 live on the North Coast. This is why we aren't responding. Speaking for myself, the only place I have been on the South Coast is Santo Domingo, so I know nothing about the agencies, etc., that you might want to deal with on the south and east coasts.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Are you looking for a job in this area of the country or do you have an income coming in from somewhere? What are your skills? How much do you expect to make? Cost of living is not cheap anymore in the DR. Housing is limited also in this area unless you have lots of money. The east coast and La Romana are not the same as the north coast for housing availability. You have a 5 yr old child so you need good schools. You are probably young, so no pension or lots of savings. What is your reason for moving to the DR other than great beaches and warm climate?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Having lived in the country for 21 years, I guess I am one of the experienced expats that whirleybird referred to.

A large percentage of the expats on dr1 live on the North Coast. This is why we aren't responding. Speaking for myself, the only place I have been on the South Coast is Santo Domingo, so I know nothing about the agencies, etc., that you might want to deal with on the south and east coasts.

Ditto. Know nothing about Punta Cana or La Romana despite living here in DR several years & I don't offer advice about areas I don't know. DanaP, you need expats from that area to respond. If you don't get any responses maybe re-post in Travel in the appropriate forum (East Coast or South Coast)?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
DanaP, if I'm not mistaken, KateP lives and work in the Punta Cana area, and rubio-higuey may live in the area, too; they are ex-pats and post here regularly.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I personally would recommend Punta Cana for a family since we've got 2 pretty good schools (that have big plans for the next school year) and it's a healthy environment for a family to live in even though we're still a bit limited on the facilities side. If you can give us a better idea of what you're looking for, how much you can afford, what you expect, we could give you better recommendations for your specific case.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No idea about Punta Cana or La Romana. Juan Dolio has a good international school - Villas del Mar. There are no really well established rental agencies here, nor estate agents. Each new apt block have tther own offices. Suggest you book into a hotel for 3 days (Barcelo Capella) and that will give you plenty of time to find an apt - there are loads to choose from. If you want any moe info on Juan Dolio just pm me

Matilda

Sammyd928

May 26, 2007
Hi everyone. I just joined this message board because I am moving to the DR in a few months. My fiance has been living in Santo Domingo for a year, and we both just got teaching jobs in Cap Cana. Anyone know anything about the area?

Sammyd928

May 26, 2007
Just wanted to add that I live in NY currently, and that I've been to the DR 4 times this past year (to visit my fiance in Santo Domingo) I'm very excited to relocate to be with my fiance, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Punta Cana/Cap Cana area.

L

LarrySpencer

No idea about Punta Cana or La Romana. Juan Dolio has a good international school - Villas del Mar. There are no really well established rental agencies here, nor estate agents. Each new apt block have tther own offices. Suggest you book into a hotel for 3 days (Barcelo Capella) and that will give you plenty of time to find an apt - there are loads to choose from. If you want any moe info on Juan Dolio just pm me

Matilda

I would definately go with Juan Dolio too. It has a good international community and isn't too far from Santo Domingo for those who like the luxury of having choices available for buying things.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Wow!

Thanks everyone for the replies! the first few times i checked my post there were no responses so i got very disappointed. I'll process thru the ideas and get back to everyone shortly! I'm still thinking the s/east area as that is where i've visited mostly & have decided that focusing on a good school & international community are my priorities (as well as safety of course) in choosing my location. Juan Dolio is on the top of my list currently.

I won't be looking for work immediately as I have some good funds to support me (don't worry, i've heard about the cost to live in the DR and I'm not talking about a few thousand bucks), but will definitely be keeping my eyes open. I am an accountant/CFO by employment and have also done H/R and plenty of Admin work in case anyone knows of opportunities in these niches.

As far as housing is concerned, I'm hoping to rent for a while to ensure I'm where I want to be. I'm not really familiar with what to expect as far as rental prices are concerned, but a modest 1-2 bedroom furnished, what 5-800/month is that reasonable?? Of course the cheaper the better, but I am a young woman with a young son so a clean & safe home and neighborhood are VERY important!

Any additional school resources or comments available? Thanks again!

Renwaa

Jun 5, 2007
Hi everyone. I just joined this message board because I am moving to the DR in a few months. My fiance has been living in Santo Domingo for a year, and we both just got teaching jobs in Cap Cana. Anyone know anything about the area?

Hi, Sammy: You may want to start a new thread so your question doesn't get lost in this one and put CAP CANA in the title so it jumps out to those in the area. ;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Rental Juan Dolio - 400 -500US$ a month gets you an apt in a gated area with security and pool. No idea about work but they have already started building the new offshore financial centtre here so there will be loads of opportunities there - if you speak spanish???

International school is I think 10,000RD$ registration and around 6000 rd$ a month. But those figures could be a bit out, as I have no kids there.

Any more info feel free to pm me.

Matilda

DanaP

May 23, 2007
more questions...

Gated community huh? is that really the best spot to live? I romantically pictured more of a cute-ish house with a nice porch to sip coffee on, is this just completely unrealistic?

can i get high speed (whatever that means in DR terms) internet in these communities? what about having vehicles? I'm planning on a moped of sorts for me and my son? Are there places to buy these in the area?

I am getting so excited! I'm thinking of coming down for a week in Aug while my son is on vacation with his father to further explore the area, schools, etc. I'm thinking a couple of days in Punta Cana, Bayhibe & Juan Dolio.

Do all these spots have nice public beaches?

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Adult fun

and what about nightlife in these locale's, are there disco's around?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can get cute house with porch but much more expensive to rent - 1000US$ plus. gated community just means apt block with fence around and security guard. You can have coffee on your balcony!!! High speed internet no problem. Easy to get scooter - new around 65-90,000 RD$ but you can get much cheaper second hand. Juan Dolio has nice public beach. You can buy everything you need in San Pedro - 11kms away. No discos at moment in Juan Dolio but no doubt as apts fill up they may start again. Plenty in San Pedro.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Crime here isn't too bad at the moment. last murder was 9 months ago (unless you count Haitian murdering his wife as she was having an affair). last house robbery about 6 months ago. No stabbings, no kidnappings. This is in Villas del mar. Not sure what is going on in Juan Dolio village. But we have a good police presence here at the moment.