Dominican beer taste test

C

Chip00

Just thought I'd let you guys in on my own taste test of the "new" beer that I saw at the store, "One cerveza", "Quilmes?" and "Soberana".

"one" is by the same makers of presidente and I found it to be ok if not somewhat sweeter than Presidente.

"Quilmes" tasted like they quit in the middle of the process becasue it tasted like pure hops or wheat or whatever grain they use. Barely drinkable.

"Soberana" doesn't even qualify as "drinkable" - it was just plain nasty.

So there you go stick with Presidente if you want a good, real beer(Brahama is cheaper but tastes like water IMO).

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
One? Is this one new...no pun intended. Haven't heard of it.

I tried Quilmes last time I was there and actually liked it...then again I do prefer heavier beers. I can see how Dominicans in general may not like the taste of this beer as it is somewhat bitter (kind of like when Presidente gets warm). Never tried Soberana. I'm happy Ambev is introducing Stella Artois however as I drink it here in The US sometimes and like it. I think Ambev will just keep introducing beers from its vast portfolio until they find the one beer that will take a good market share away from Presidente. On the other hand presidente has done an excellent job of out-maneuvering Ambev so far, with the introduction of its own beers (Light, Bohemia, etc).

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
We have an expression here Pena Gomez would never be El Presidente and neither will any other beer be Presidente!!!

Just alittle joke.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
anybody that thinks presidente is really good beer has never had really good beer,I bought a bottle of DAB yesterday, same price as Pres.and much better.

C

Chip00

anybody that thinks presidente is really good beer has never had really good beer,I bought a bottle of DAB yesterday, same price as Pres.and much better.

mondongo - sounds good to me - can they be found in Santiago?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
(Puts on his Certified Brewmaster hat...)

"Beer" isn't just beer. There are over 800 chemical compounds in beer, 230 or so that actually make up the taste, textures and "faults" in the chemical we call beer. The varying "faults" in beer is what makes one brand/brew different from another. A "fault" is a compound that has enough concentration for the tongue to detect. All beers have similar compounds, but the difference is in the concentration of the "faults" that we can detect as taste and exture. It's the "faults" that people recognize that makes one brand different from another.

Presidente is just one such mix of compounds. My impression is that it is strong on the hops compounds, and not so much on the malts. Generally, "hoppy" beers, like many German and Czech beers, have a significantly different taste between when the beer is cold and when it warms. Such as Presidente (if you like hoppy German beers, you prolly like Presidente, too). Keep in mind that as the CO2 is released, and the temperature changes (cold to warm), so will many of the chemical components of beer, forming new carbon links and chains, and different "fault" concentrations, thus the different flavor between cold and warmer. Some compounds change more quickly than others.

FWIW: Human beer quality control testing, that is, how a brewer tests his product to ensure consistency from one batch to the next in terms of taste and texture detectable by humans, is done in a dark room under red lights. Only then, when a person cannot see the beer, it's color and other visual cues, can the tongue accurately assess a beer without the visual brain triggers interfereing with the actual taste (for example, dark beers are NOT all heavy and bitter, and golden beers are NOT all light and crisp, but the brain wants us to use that bias). For smell, you take a short, strong sniff that lasts maybe 1/3-1/2 second. For taste, you let 2 oz. in an open glass coat the entire tongue to cover all the different sensory areas of the tongue. You do this at various temperatures, from "cold service" to room temperature, logging the sensations which translate onto a "spider chart", without swallowing. It's the consistency of the spider chart that the brewmaster is striving for.

The harsh reality is that in REAL taste tests, 95% of amateur testers cannot tell the difference between the different brands of average, "generic" beers like Miller, Bud, Coors, etc. They will deny that to their death (all guys think they are beer experts), but facts are facts, and I've seen dozens of such tests with my own eyes.

I personally am a big fan of Belgian-style "white" beers. Here in the states, I enjoy Blue Moon by Blue Moon Brewery. I also enjoy Newcastle Brown Ale, and Sapporo. But I have customers in my bar that will only drink Budweiser. Why? Because they sponsor Dale Earnhardt, Jr. on the NASCAR circuit.:rolleyes:

Just some useless info for y'all to catalog away...;):classic:

Presidente is more a cultural issue to it's customers than it is just beer. I drink it in the DR (although I like Amber better), because, well, I'm in the DR.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
That was really informative. Thank you very much cobraboy. I'm not a big beer drinker apart from the odd bottle or two here and there (more of a wine girl!). I freely admit that I can never detect much difference between beers like Miller, Bud, Coors etc. Here, I drink Presidente or Brahma with the odd bottle of Corona thrown in. Haven't tried the beers that Chip's mentioned (though I've only seen Quilmes for sale, which I've heard bad reports about). I really do enjoy Hoegaarden (sure I haven't spelt that right) which is a Belgian wheat beer but I don't suppose you can buy it here?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What did they used do to before there where red lights and dark rooms to test beer ?
You mean before scientific and statistical sampling techniques? Beats me. I can find out. I just know how QC has been done for a while now.

There are professional who do nothing but what I describe above. They have, from birth, a highly refined sense of taste, just as professional wine tasters do. Part is an acquired trait, but most is with the best ones since birth.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
You mean before scientific and statistical sampling techniques? Beats me. I can find out. I just know how QC has been done for a while now.

There are professional who do nothing but what I describe above. They have, from birth, a highly refined sense of taste, just as professional wine tasters do. Part is an acquired trait, but most is with the best ones since birth.

The Kid failed the Pepsi Challenge once, but still told the judge my preference for Coke despite the evidence - kinda like religious folks...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The Kid failed the Pepsi Challenge once, but still told the judge my preference for Coke despite the evidence - kinda like religious folks...
There is a difference between "preference", and being able to identify a specific brand in a double-blind test.

The QC tests I outlined above are to insure consistency within a brew mix, and not to determine preference.

Heck, I like what I like, too.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
cobraboy, do you serve Fat Tire at your bar?

The first and only time I tried it, it kicked my rear... just two glasses. When I start drinking beer again, I'm going to try that Stella Atois mentioned earlier.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

The first and only time I tried it, it kicked my rear... just two glasses. When I start drinking beer again, I'm going to try that Stella Atois mentioned earlier.
No, can't get it. I wish I could. It's a seriously excellent beer. If I could get it here in Tampa, it would be maybe my favorite.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005

I've tried Fat Tire, and really liked it. With Germany and Belgium as neighbours we're spoiled for choice, but Fat Tire shows Americans can brew good beer too.
About Stella Artois, I wouldnt be too optimistic, it is not a Belgian special beer, like a trappist or white beer or geueze, it's just a large quantity pilsner beer, nothing special. In fact, I think it is the most sold lager (quantity) in the UK.