Bad Gringo - No Banana!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Seems to me that regardless of what is actually the rule of law, cases stop or don't stop depending solely on remaining resources or the lack thereof, whether those resources be contacts or pesos.......but you and L know that well. The family probably ran out of resources of all kinds, thus, not even press coverage.
Or the perps had more resources than the victim.
As you may have gathered from my previous posts, I have little confidence in the DR Justice system, so imagine my surprise when my neighbour told me that the Judge in POP who was to hear his case against Sylvia Cheal for theft, recused himself from the case, as he was the one who set her bail and perceived her to be guilty, so he felt he could not be impartial in the case against her.
Maybe the courts are more impartial and fair than I thought they were.

This thread was split off from this one -- two different topics! http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56895-interpol-takes-no-shyte.html

Last edited by a moderator:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sylvia from sosua? This rings a bells, isn't she one who dated the self proclaimed real estate donald trump of sosua at one time? This guys surely surrounds himself with some real shady people. I guess birds of the same feathers flock together.
AZB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hmmmm - I have my doubts. Could it be the judge was 'Bought Off' by her with monies acquired through dubious means??

I was IN the courts yesterday & saw her there but did not know the reasons for her attendance! I know she had Pi$$ed DR1 owners off a couple of times & got herself banned (or at least on a holiday) from here, but didn't think THAT could be the reason. What has she done this time?? ~ Grahame

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hmmmm - I have my doubts. Could it be the judge was 'Bought Off' by her with monies acquired through dubious means??

I was IN the courts yesterday & saw her there but did not know the reasons for her attendance! I know she had Pi$$ed DR1 owners off a couple of times & got herself banned (or at least on a holiday) from here, but didn't think THAT could be the reason. What has she done this time?? ~ Grahame
I don't have all the details, but I do know she rented her house from my neighbour, and before she moved, she sold off a lot of things, including things that belonged to the owner (my neighbour), like water pumps, etc, thus explaining the criminal charges. (I think he said the generator is missing too)
He also has a civil case against her for all the damages she caused to the house, so he took her SUV away from her (legally, of course) last Thursday I believe.
When she came out to try to stop them from towing the SUV, the cops arrested her for the criminal charges.
She spent the night in jail and got bailed out on Friday.
That is the case (the criminal one) from which the judge recused himself.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sylvia from sosua? This rings a bells, isn't she one who dated the self proclaimed real estate donald trump of sosua at one time? This guys surely surrounds himself with some real shady people. I guess birds of the same feathers flock together.
AZB
Yes.
They dated for a long time, but are no longer together.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
About time criminals learn a lesson. now can sosua residents legally challenge a thief who would steal charity money from little kids?
AZB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Come on AZB, it is not fair to drag up that old stuff on this thread. I am much more concerned for the children involved here - HER children. If Mum goes inside, who is there to look after them? Garry (the husband) went back to England some years ago as he couldn't stand the 'goings-on'!
I hope the courts have a back up plan for those poor kids! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't have all the details, but I do know she rented her house from my neighbour, and before she moved, she sold off a lot of things, including things that belonged to the owner (my neighbour), like water pumps, etc, thus explaining the criminal charges. (I think he said the generator is missing too)
He also has a civil case against her for all the damages she caused to the house, so he took her SUV away from her (legally, of course) last Thursday I believe.
When she came out to try to stop them from towing the SUV, the cops arrested her for the criminal charges.
She spent the night in jail and got bailed out on Friday.
That is the case (the criminal one) from which the judge recused himself.

First the FROKA 'ladies', then the French insurance man in Cabarete, now this. I DO hope new people are taking notice. This woman runs some sort of a club for new English speaking expats doesn't she? I think the letters stand for English Speaking Organisation or something like that but urban legend has it that what they really stand for is Enrich Sylvia Only :). I wonder if she has called on the assistance of the British Consul, Mendez? Or whether she would have the gall after trying to pass herself off as the 'next British Consul' a couple of years ago? I had to warn British expats about that one (all done to make the real estate sales seem more plausible :rolleyes:)
British Expat: Expat World: Moving to the Dominican Republic: Don't Bring Wigan With You! Part Two

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This woman runs some sort of a club for new English speaking expats doesn't she? I think the letters stand for English Speaking Organisation or something like that but urban legend has it that what they really stand for is Enrich Sylvia Only :). I wonder if she has called on the assistance of the British Consul, Mendez? Or whether she would have the gall after trying to pass herself off as the 'next British Consul' a couple of years ago? I had to warn British expats about that one (all done to make the real estate sales seem more plausible :rolleyes:)
British Expat: Expat World: Moving to the Dominican Republic: Don't Bring Wigan With You! Part Two
Well, she picked on the wrong guy now.
My neighbour (the plaintif) is a decent well respected Dominican businessman and he will get satisfaction from the courts.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Some role model for her kids. So sad.
AZB
How true. They were lovely kids when they first arrived (I regret to say I had some involvement with that arrival - sorry Republica Dominicana) but once Garry left for England, things started going downhill fast from what I hear. Interpol was not called in (Hey, I got this back on track again!!!!), but the Foreign Office made representations about the children's safety & care I gather! Mum was supposedly out most nights & leaving them on their own! BAD Ju-Ju that! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, she picked on the wrong guy now.
My neighbour (the plaintif) is a decent well respected Dominican businessman and he will get satisfaction from the courts.

I'm sure. Gringos in Court against respected Dominicans are unlikely to be cut much slack.

BTW anyone want to take a stab at the identity of 'befriender' in this article?
Offshore Living News Offshorewave ? Exprats Or Offshore Waiverers? - Planning For A Move To The Dominican Republic - by Ginnie Bedggood

Not too difficult now was it? ;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Did I understand this properly?
I heard she did have Interpol problems last year.
Hey - I am fairly good & keep my ear to the ground but I can't hear EVERYTHING! If someone knows of details I will listen, but I am more interested in present day stuff & how this series of stories can help other Ex-Pats not to try scamming - Locals OR fellow Brits/Ex-Pats! ~ Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
... how this series of stories can help other Ex-Pats not to try scamming - Locals OR fellow Brits/Ex-Pats! ~ Grahame.

Breaking News BushBaby. :laugh: If they are so inclined, they will do so - and neither you, nor I nor any other 'good people' will stop them. Its inevitable.

The only thing we can do, is to educate the newcomers and then sit back and watch the show.

Lambada's articles are nice and give a good overview. But for a new expat in the stages of being overwhelmed with the demands of settling in, it is all too easy to trust another friendly compatriot who seems to know the ropes and seems to have made a success of the change.

The crucible that is the Dominican Republic has a way of allowing one to become 'more' of what you are inherently. It has to do with individual strength of purpose and identity. If you're a scammer, you'll scam. If you're a good person, you'll somehow become more good.

This wonderful sense of freedom that we all experience in the DR has a different effect on different people. Then the feathers really start flying when these 'freedom bedevilled' gringos start messing in the Dominican Way of doing things. (Now there's a new article topic for Lambada) :classic: (and a real interesting opener to another topic .. reformed gringos - are there any? .. )

I do think the set of bad Gringos still left in Sosua specifically are only there because they have not messed in the Dominican Way of doing things .. yet! Be sure, they will get there as we are seeing now with Ms Cheal.

Uhm, perhaps I should split off this thread .. to Introduction to Gringo Psych 101. :laugh:

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The crucible that is the Dominican Republic has a way of allowing one to become 'more' of what you are inherently. It has to do with individual strength of purpose and identity. If you're a scammer, you'll scam. If you're a good person, you'll somehow become more good.
Ain't that the truth?
It's the land of opportunity.
Good people become better, and scammers and criminals get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.