Mosquito proof

C

Chip00

I just noticed after a year here in the DR that apparently mosquitos have taken less of a "liking" to me and I'm wondering what it could be. It used to be we came here to visit if I was in a room with Dominicans all of the mosquitos would ignore them like the plague and happily converge on me. In fact there was no way I could sit still even for a couple of minutes without being attacked without mercy.

Anybody know what it could be? I have an idea that it could be diet or less stress. I eat mostly Domincan food now (except that I prefer a sandwhich, salad etc. to boiled plantain for dinner). Also, I think I have heard that mosquitos can sense "adrenaline" and "stress", by-products of a Western society and since I hardly have any of that now maybe that could be a reason too.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you drinking more now these days? I've heard they do not like blood mixed with alcohol :laugh:

I'm serious ;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Well, I don't know the reasons either but have had exactly the same experience. When I came here on holiday I got eaten to death and when we arrived last June the same thing happened for a while but now, after almost a year, I only get the odd bite and they do not inflame as they did before - not sure if it is me adapting to the country or the mosquitos adapting to me!! I have to say the Dominicans are no way immune either as one of our workers gets bitten quite regularly but his wife is left untouched by them. Perhaps we just don't taste as "sweet" now!!!!

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Being from Florida I know about bugs. There is a chemical you secrete call lysergic acid ( not spelled right ) this is what attracts the mosquitoes. The best bug repellent is SKIN SO SOFT by Avon original formula Bath Oil. In the Fla. Keys we have no-seemums they bite like hell draw blood and it hurts. But use SSS and nothing it is all natural no toxins.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
....Being from Florida I know about drugs. There is a chemical you secretely... call lysergic acid....

Captain, are you perchance referring to d-Lysergic acid diethylamide?...;-)

Editors note: minor changes have been made to the poster's quote in order to protect the innocent ...;-)

C

Chip00

Are you drinking more now these days? I've heard they do not like blood mixed with alcohol :laugh:

I'm serious ;)

I typically drink 3 to 4 beers a night in accordance with my doctor's recomendations. :) I have been doing that for 24 years now or so but rarely drink more becuae being a relatively small guy at 170 lbs I don't hold my liquor well - I always fall asleep.

One could think that this could be it but what about all of my Dominican family that are Christians that don't drink? I think it has to be the diet or less stress or something else honestly.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
No am not talking about LSD. When we sweat the glissing on the skin is lysergic acid some people have more of this than others. In Fla. we also recomnend light color clothing but, believe me the SSS works. I lived in Monte Cristi for 7 years and the No-Seeums were bad only two gringo were able to be at the beach at dusk me and another friend from Georiga who was an avid hunter.