Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canned Foods

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canned Foods

In today's newspaper there is a B.S. story about canned foods. Please let me clarify it. My family owned a food processing company for 50 years in the U.S. I was the youngest certified food processing engineer in the U.S. at age 18. The expiration date is not that it is a BEST IF USED BEFORE BY DATE. All low acid foods such as corn, beans, canned meat etc. are thermally processed to render botulism inert. Once you have a hermetically sealed container and it is processed properly unless that seal is broken it is good for life. In other words 20 to 30 years. Now if the ends are pouched don't buy it, if you look at the seams and they have lost the integrity don't buy it. When in doubt bring the product to a boil for two minutes and this will render 99.9 percent of the bacterial inert.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Rob57 View Post
    In today's newspaper there is a B.S. story about canned foods. Please let me clarify it. My family owned a food processing company for 50 years in the U.S. I was the youngest certified food processing engineer in the U.S. at age 18. The expiration date is not that it is a BEST IF USED BEFORE BY DATE. All low acid foods such as corn, beans, canned meat etc. are thermally processed to render botulism inert. Once you have a hermetically sealed container and it is processed properly unless that seal is broken it is good for life. In other words 20 to 30 years. Now if the ends are pouched don't buy it, if you look at the seams and they have lost the integrity don't buy it. When in doubt bring the product to a boil for two minutes and this will render 99.9 percent of the bacterial inert.
    Thanks for the info. Good to know here because it is illegal in several countries to have the expired stuff on the shelves so they ship it to the DR. along with other junk "seconds", ends of production, discontinued products etc. and we get charged the full price.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Captain, maybe you should take a leisurely Sunday morning stroll to the flea market at the corner of 30 de Mayo and Luperón avenues in SD. You wouldn't believe the dated and deteriorated food stuff sold there. The piles of dated, deteriorated and rusting packages and cans on sale. And then watch the throngs of desperate customers believing they are getting real bargains (hope their families can find similar bargains at the funeral parlor for caskets and cemetary plots). I always scold the sellers, like Jesus did with the money-changers and merchants at the Temple (Of course, guarding distances...;-). Maybe people here are immune to botulism, and many other very serious food poisonings?. The processed food stuff sold looks like it was salvaged from the bottom of New Orleans flooded after Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc to that town almost two years ago. ..

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

When we first moved here in 1992 I came across a can of something or other in a colmado with an expiration date of 1987. Can't even remember what the contents were supposed to be - they had probably morphed from 'something' to 'other'.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Rob57 View Post
    As Eddy said above, Good & useful information.

Could you clarify for me Capt.Rob just what the 'Expiration' date really means & why the manufacturers bother to put it on to their cans? Is this just another scam of the 'Standards' committee or (in UK) weights & standards commission, to fleece us unsuspecting buyers to throw away stuff that is 'Out of date'? Could we quite safely donate these to charities to use in poor countries where under nourishment is a problem? ~ Grahame.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I try not to buy anything canned. I've been told the acids from the metal and solder used to build the can will leach into it's product's content.
    This is what some people theorize as being a major cause of alzheimer's disease. er.......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Grahame, I concur, good and useful info. I'm looking forward to Capt.Rob's reply to your query about the usefulness of the 'Expiration Date' on canned goods. I'm much more intrigued by the potential scam 'twist' you've put on this. Quite frankly, it never would've occurred to me, very interesting point of view. I hope the can dating thing is actually useful and not another way of taking us to the cleaners!

NotLurking

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    As Eddy said above, Good & useful information.

Could you clarify for me Capt.Rob just what the 'Expiration' date really means & why the manufacturers bother to put it on to their cans? Is this just another scam of the 'Standards' committee or (in UK) weights & standards commission, to fleece us unsuspecting buyers to throw away stuff that is 'Out of date'? Could we quite safely donate these to charities to use in poor countries where under nourishment is a problem? ~ Grahame.

Post Thanks / Like

The only place I've noticed this happening was Carrefour, and that was a few years ago. My delight at finding baked beans - only to find they were past their sell-by date.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    The only place I've noticed this happening was Carrefour, and that was a few years ago. My delight at finding baked beans - only to find they were past their sell-by date.
    OK, here's three important things to keep in mind if you consume canned goods.

1) If the can is dented, discard it, since the enamel or plastic inner coating has been breached, and the metal solder (usually lead) has leached into the contents.

2) Always wash thoroughly the can before opening. Most warehouses and supermarket depots are littered with rats that urinate on the cans. Leptoperosis disease is frequently confused with dengue in the DR, and is usually caught by contact with infected food containers, mostly beer, carbonated beverages and others. Also, aluminum oxide is one of the most potent toxics around, and it is not visible to the naked eye. Always wash thoroughly all aluminum containers (especially beer cans...). Most cases of canker or similar sores in the mouth (including those attributed to herpes), are caused by aluminum oxide contact with the tissues of the mouth and lips.

3) I forgot.... (memory loss, probably from Alzheimer's caught by not following the above instructions...;-)

Chip00

This reminds me a story my Dad told me that when he was training in the Guard in the 60's that they were still eating canned c-ration's from WWII and he said they were good - especially the dark chocolate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast