Information about Juan Dolio & Vicinity

sytech

May 25, 2007
I will be coming to the D.R. at the end of June for scuba and cenote (cavern).

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the diving conditions in this area.

Also a question about Farmacias in the D.R.. Can you purchase any pain medications such as Voltaren, Codeine & Naprosyn and similar LEGALLY over the counter without a Doctor's prescription? I have traveled throughout Central America and these are available LEGALLY with no prescription and was wondering how it is in the D.R..

I bought Voltaren (which is similar to Advil but stronger and less upsetting of my stomach) in Mexico LEGALLY a few months ago. I would like to get more because it is very effective for pain and my Internist here in the U.S.A. will not prescribe it because it is similar in composition to Vioxx and he is afraid of getting sued of I have a problem with Voltaren.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No problem buying voltaren ovedr the counter. In juna Dolio pharmacy beind Banco Popular. Good diving in Juan Dolio plus Cave dives once a week.

Matilda

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The cave and cavern diving around Juan Dolio and Boca Chica are spectacular. PapaTony is a divemaster who has frequently dived both and absolutely loves it! I have two photo albums full of pictures :)!
We went once and took the beisbol player Fernando Tatis who had a blast and still talks about it. Of course it is very much more organized now that it used to be but still very worthwhile.
Be sure to have a look at the 'dry' caves also if you have time!

sytech

May 25, 2007
Information about Juan Dolio & Vicinity Reply to Thread

MommC,

Thanks for the information.

Which dive shop does "PapaTony" work for? I've been in contact with Pirate's Cove.

What are "dry caves"? Do you mean caverns (cenotes)?

Isn't Fernando Tatis the former St Louis Cardinals shortstop? If I'm not mistaken he holds the Major League record for hitting 2 GRAND SLAMS in the same inning. Is that correct?

Gracias,

Sy

The cave and cavern diving around Juan Dolio and Boca Chica are spectacular. PapaTony is a divemaster who has frequently dived both and absolutely loves it! I have two photo albums full of pictures :)!
We went once and took the beisbol player Fernando Tatis who had a blast and still talks about it. Of course it is very much more organized now that it used to be but still very worthwhile.
Be sure to have a look at the 'dry' caves also if you have time!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Dive shop PapaTony worked for now closed.....and Dry caves are exactly that - Dry.....underground but no water. An example would be La Cueva De La Maravillas close to La Romana altho' the one I was talking about was close to a wet cave inbetween Boca Chica and Las Caletas.
Yes that would be the same Tatis.......what a blast we had that day! Although he said he was an experienced diver I don't think he really was (and I'm NOT a diver) but he enjoyed the dives anyways. I was in charge of the above ground crew and food prep. so I had time to explore a bit of the dry cave while the gang was underground after I had a quick dip in the cenote (entrance to the underground cave.) I've got pictures somewhere (I think in the credenza in Juan Dolio).
I'm not familiar with Pirates Cove ( actually I
think I do know who it is but can't put the name to the face as I know them by sight rather than name).
You should have a great time and do post a trip report when you get back home........
Too bad it wasn't a bit earlier when we were still there! Then between Matilda and I we could have hooked you up for some real exciting dives, however I'm sure the folks at the dive center will make it worth your while and you'll have a great time.
Suerte!

sytech

May 25, 2007
MommC or Matilda,

Question re: Embassy Suites or Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort.

I am already booked at the Embassy Suites but was wondering if that hotel is within either walking distance or short cab or bus ride to a supermercado to purchase basics like milk, soda, fruit etc?. The Embassy suites have a small kitchen with a fridge so I like to buy some of my own foods.

I have the same question about the Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort but am not sure if the rooms have a fridge or if the "all inclusive" meal plan is mandatory. I really don't like the "all-inclusive' set up and would take a breakfast only plan. Are there any restaurants near either of these hotels?

Thanks in advance,

Sy

Dive shop PapaTony worked for now closed.....and Dry caves are exactly that - Dry.....underground but no water. An example would be La Cueva De La Maravillas close to La Romana altho' the one I was talking about was close to a wet cave inbetween Boca Chica and Las Caletas.
Yes that would be the same Tatis.......what a blast we had that day! Although he said he was an experienced diver I don't think he really was (and I'm NOT a diver) but he enjoyed the dives anyways. I was in charge of the above ground crew and food prep. so I had time to explore a bit of the dry cave while the gang was underground after I had a quick dip in the cenote (entrance to the underground cave.) I've got pictures somewhere (I think in the credenza in Juan Dolio).
I'm not familiar with Pirates Cove ( actually I
think I do know who it is but can't put the name to the face as I know them by sight rather than name).
You should have a great time and do post a trip report when you get back home........
Too bad it wasn't a bit earlier when we were still there! Then between Matilda and I we could have hooked you up for some real exciting dives, however I'm sure the folks at the dive center will make it worth your while and you'll have a great time.
Suerte!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I remember Embassy suites don't have a kitchen - just a fridge. There is a tiny mini market at the entrance to metro Country Club and embassy suites is about a mile inside the entrance so it would be a long walk for soda. Esmarelda is in othe other direction at the entrance to Guayacanes, and there would be a colmado (mini market near there). But if you don't want all inclusive, why not rent an apt. You can get one in Plaza La luna which has a supermarket ish on site, or if you want 'posh' with aircon and cable and modern you can get Meridiana for around 400US for 2 weeks, and my mini market is next door!!! There is a restaurant downstairs too, and it is a motoconcho taxi ride - 50 pesos away from Pirates Cove. They also do 1 bed apts rather than studios for around 500US for 2 weeks.

Pm for more info

Matilda