Do You Think An American Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
COMING TO CABARETE MAYBE 3 DAYS OF THE WEEK WOULD BE WELCOME AND DO WELL. OF COURSE THE MONEY IS IN THE INSURANCE CLAIMS. THIS WOULD BE BY APPointments only.any thoughts. i am thinking of opening an american doctor clinic coming from miami in this area.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There already is a very good clinic there staffed by mainly well trained experienced Europeans and excelent Dominicans. I don't think the word 'american' will make much of a difference as the clinic is well regarded by all living in the area.

Yes, they know how to do insurance claims. Do you know anything about tropical medicine?

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
More importantly Chris, ............. BeachFront, Do You Have the required authorisation/certificates from the authorities here to practice? If not, you will be MOST unwelcome.

Getting licences to practice here involves 1 (or more as the authorities determine) years of FREE service to the medical centre determined by the Medical Board!! There IS an American Doctor here who has been through this whole ritual - I'll speak to him to obtain his permission if you want to e-mail him!! ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There IS an American Doctor here who has been through this whole ritual - I'll speak to him to obtain his permission if you want to e-mail him!! ~ Grahame.

No need, Bushbaby. We've had these before & I know the doctor's reaction. Beachfront you need to contact Salud Publica to find out about regulations governing foreigners practising medicine in this country.
Secretaria de Estado de Salud P?blica y Asistencia Social

I assume from this post that the doctor isn't you?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/53588-im-am-i-pain-need-help.html#post432041

Maybe you are thinking of being the clinic owner or administrator? Still need a whole range of permissions. Including a phrase like 'the money is in the insurance claims' may give people some pause for thought as to whether patient well-being was the primary objective.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The hoops one has to jump through are amazing. After 25 years of practice and 15 years of a professorship at a major US medical school I could not jump anymore.

Bob K

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, you will be competing with HOMS in Santiago, a state of the art facility.

Also, if you do not fulfill your obligations of "homologaci?n" I will report you to the Public Health authorities. Not that that will be more than a major pain in the buttinsky, but bothersome.

Either do it right or not at all. This place is not some roaming milk cow you can milk at will. (Although there are a few that like to think that.)

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
COMING TO CABARETE MAYBE 3 DAYS OF THE WEEK WOULD BE WELCOME AND DO WELL. OF COURSE THE MONEY IS IN THE INSURANCE CLAIMS. THIS WOULD BE BY APPointments only.any thoughts. i am thinking of opening an american doctor clinic coming from miami in this area.

You should talk with Dr. Gideon Paut at Servi-Med in Cabarete. Servi-Med takes Blue Cross, so you can ask him about that, also.

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
wow so many things to do. yes i think that if it can be done it might be lucrative. and yes i am not going to be the doctor. i would own the clinic. and i believe i have someone who may be interested in selling their clinic. do you think this would affect my chance if i bought into an existing clinic.
i don't think i would be in competition with santiago. i woul dconcentrate with the north coast new construction and build a practice on top of any existing from the clinic i would bye into.

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
mr. hillbilly you are a meanie. sorry i don't do a lot of typing , neither much corrective typing. sorry for you.
i am just trying to ad something i find missing on my trips, and i am a home owner so i have a vested interest in making things better.and i see an opportunity to create a living here while making what i had hoped would be a good thing available to the public.
but, than again i am not the great hillbilly. just a guy looking for some help here

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No, Hillbilly is not a meany. In fact, he does not have a mean bone in his body.

Your first post rings true. Your 2nd post, well, seems to me you're changing your first question. So, I am not sure what help you need.

Do you think an American Doctor COMING TO CABARETE MAYBE 3 DAYS OF THE WEEK WOULD BE WELCOME AND DO WELL. OF COURSE THE MONEY IS IN THE INSURANCE CLAIMS. THIS WOULD BE BY APPointments only.any thoughts. i am thinking of opening an american doctor clinic coming from miami in this area.

I asked you whether you knew anything about medicine in the tropics or tropical medicine, and you still owe me an answer.

Now it seems to me you simply want to run a clinic 3 days a week.

I would suggest that if you buy a clinic, let the buyer beware and note that most medical practitioners work in their clinics. There must be a reason for that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, I AM somewhat of a curmudgeon.

Fact is, I really dislike people like you who want to come here, bend the laws, set up a clinic to milk foreigners. You implied you were an American doctor. If you are, follow the path, do your studies and set it up right.

If not, you will get burned, of that I am sure.

Sorry, if I stepped on your typing...it was just a bit funny, IYKWIM>>>

Oh yes, About "creating a living" ?? Oh boy ,do you have a whole lot to learn...

HB, a true curmudgeon...not great, just letting you know how it will be...hehe

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
holy smokes batman. no i am not a doctor. although on the right ocassion i might play one.
chris perhaps i wasn't clear.i have a home in cabarete. i also went to a clinic there for a rash.
i went to a pretend doctor who then charged my bc/bs/ oh about $380 bucks for basically nothing.
i thought there might be some interest if i could get my primary doctor in fort lauderdale to do appt's 3 days a week.as the care i got there wasn't any good. i , sorry for this, expected a better response than to attack me rather than the point . which let me remind you is this ,is there any interest in an american doctor coming a few days a week .
yes i know billy i stayed at his place...

i have other business interests i am pursuing and have a partner there so i am not brand new just still green.

and to answer your other question , no i have no medical experience. unless happy hour counts. than i would say i am qualified.

i know how difficult it is to make a living there. however as they say many jobs do a living make....thank you thank you very much.

the clinic part was just to absorb a known entity which i think makes some sense.and make better care available

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the great internet phrase: OIC!!

Well, no, he cannot just come down here on a regular basis and do medicine. that's out. He can come on a charity mission, channeled through a church or some NGO perhaps. There are a few hoops to jump through.

That said, you might visit Santiago, see what is available, and perhaps hire a couple of doctors to visit Cabarete a few times a week.

I really cannot speak as to what kinds of doctors are up there right now. I'd need to see their credentials and resumes. Then perhaps I could pontificate on just how good or not so good they may be. After all, RD$10000+ for a rash tells me that they are good at sucking blood...

I think after all is said and done that you should go extremely slowly on this, and perhaps look in another direction...

Oh well....that was not so curmudgeony, was it??

HB

C

Chip00

Beachfront

IMO I will tell you the easy thing in the world would be to set up shop and then find a hungry doctor that has just finished their "pasantia" or internship. It may even be possible to have them do a work study in at your clinic in the US to get first hand experience. I can tell you that there will be many young doctors to be had at an exceptional price. Then you can train this person in the specialized skills you have and off you go.

The secret will be to get a smart, hard worker and increase their compensation over the years so they aren't tempted to go on their own. FYI a doctor I know in her pasantia is earning RD20k so finding someone at a good price should be easy - it is definitely an employers market for sure here as there is a lot of competition for good jobs here.

Good luck

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
thank you all for your imput i shall shutter away and digest your thoughts. and hillbilly good luck with your next venture. curmudgeony away my friend. again thanks

dr james

Mar 2, 2007
medical doctors

I am a bit late entering this...but for what it is worth here it is..

To practice medicine here you must first have a license which is issued only after presenting all of your medical school training and post graduate training to C.O.N.E.S in santo Domingo for the certification process..this takes 1 year
if they determine that your training is ok and they receive notarized forms from every school you attended and from every department head under which you did pregraduate clinical rotations under and from post grad department heads..then you can apply for the year of pasantia...free year in a rural clinic..that process took me another year to complete because there is a long waiting list of medical students applying for the pasantia....if you are approved..and many are still waiting...then you do a looooong 1 year in a rural clinic....then 6 letters,200 copies and notarizations and back to the office of the pasantia...more waiting...more offices and more paperwork..licensing typically takes 6 months to 1 year...a controled subtance license is another process you must do through if you wish to prescribe any control subtances. abd of course pay all of the license fees also
I almost forgot that part.

no..you can not just have some drop over from florida 3 days a week to see patients.....thats called illegal and is a felony here...ie//jail

hire a hungry pasantia ? bad idea dont go there.
next time you go to that clinic..ask what the fees will be..if its too much..run ..dont walk out....

hope this helpfull to some one
please excuse any typos
dr Jim

C

Chip00

hire a hungry pasantia ? bad idea dont go there.

No offense but why would it be a bad idea to hire someone to train them in a specialty who has just finished their pasantia and is looking for work as a doctor?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No, Hillbilly is not a meany. In fact, he does not have a mean bone in his body.
Chris, I couldn't disagree more.

Have you ever seen what Hillbilly does with his Ping 3 Wood in his hands? :p

Viscious, I tell you...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.