building costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

besagnota

Oct 21, 2006
Hi,

Have been to Puerto Plata a couple of times and am seriously thinking of taking the plunge. Have found land but how much is it going to cost to build? I know it's a bit like "how long's a piece of string?" but what should I be looking to pay to build a four-bedroomed villa (about 150 sq.m.)? I am in contact with some local builders - just want to make sure no-one's pulling a fast one on me. Is it true you now have to submit architect's plans?

Also, how much do you need per month to "enjoy life" out there?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
... Have found land but how much is it going to cost to build?
It depends on your taste and style.

I know it's a bit like "how long's a piece of string?"
very long ;)
...but what should I be looking to pay to build a four-bedroomed villa (about 150 sq.m.)?

About RD$3-6 millions for a finished product. The construction cost per m2 ranges form RD$15k-30k and it depends on the quality of work and finishing material used.

I am in contact with some local builders - just want to make sure no-one's pulling a fast one on me. Is it true you now have to submit architect's plans?
This has ALWAYS been true! It is to your advantage to comply with all local building codes and have your property properly built and registered.

Also, how much do you need per month to "enjoy life" out there?
Again, it depends. You don't give enough info to provide you with a ballpark figure that might be acceptable to you. Think anything between US$1k-10k and it depends solely on your situation, lifestyle and habits.

NotLurking.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
OP - seems like you need to get the second question answered way before the first.!!

Feb 7, 2007
Well, according to this post in the thread I mentioned,
http://www.dr1.com/forums/486874-post28.html
and taking the median price of RD$20.000 per square meter, the cost for your 150 sqm house would be approximately 3 million pesos, or 70.000 Euro.
That is with higher cost builders (if you contract out).
If you oversee and hire yourself, you coudl save 20-30% off that.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Overseeing and hiring yourself can be a recipe for distaster unless you know the system, speak fluent spanish and love to take a gamble......

besagnota

Oct 21, 2006
Thanks a lot, all of you. It's been helpful to hear your ideas. No, I don't know the system, I don't speak fluent Spanish and I'm not a gambler so I won't be walking down the road of "do-it-yourself". I'll keep you all posted as events unroll.

Thanks again

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks a lot, all of you. It's been helpful to hear your ideas. No, I don't know the system, I don't speak fluent Spanish and I'm not a gambler so I won't be walking down the road of "do-it-yourself". I'll keep you all posted as events unroll.

Thanks again

ive paid $550us m2 recently....??/// ive built a number of houses already for this price. for this money it is unlikely the house will include granite bench tops/designer bathroom etc. If you want these items it would seem that the price you must pay is around $700m2 and above.
i feel the houses ive built and sold are attractive and pleasing to the eye!...my opinion only! 3 years ago i was building homes for $350m2...prices have sky-rocketed according to my constructor

besagnota

Oct 21, 2006
ive paid $550us m2 recently....??/// ive built a number of houses already for this price. for this money it is unlikely the house will include granite bench tops/designer bathroom etc. If you want these items it would seem that the price you must pay is around $700m2 and above.
i feel the houses ive built and sold are attractive and pleasing to the eye!...my opinion only! 3 years ago i was building homes for $350m2...prices have sky-rocketed according to my constructor

Presumably that price doesn't include perimeter wall or water tank or laying-out of garden? And of course it won't include a swimming pool. My figure of Euros 150,00 included all of the above so maybe I'm not too far out. Once again, thanks everybody.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Why Build

Buy existing. It can be fun looking and you may get a deal. In the end you will have a good idea of values here in the DR. Remember asking price is often not the selling price. Building can be a nightmare. The other way what you see is what you get. Do you really need brand new?

Reactions: JD Jones

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
Presumably that price doesn't include perimeter wall or water tank or laying-out of garden? And of course it won't include a swimming pool. My figure of Euros 150,00 included all of the above so maybe I'm not too far out. Once again, thanks everybody.

you are correct , those things you mentioned are extra

wall 6ft tall*1mtr= $60* perimeter of land (basic brick wall)
pool 4m*6m= 10k
landscaping basic (grass) $5m2
tanks ive been quoted $1500 (1.5m*1.5m*3m depth) another contractor wanted to hit me for 5k for the same size tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.