Medical Schools

RG2007

May 26, 2007
Hi everyone. I just joined this message board because I?m looking for medical school in DR. I have gone through all the medical schools? websites but they all r in Spanish and there isn?t any information about the language instruction. Is there any university where they teach medicine courses in English???? Do I have to know Spanish to get into medical school in DR?????

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can buy your degree in English at UTESA, a very poor school.

You can pay through the nose but get a better degree at UNIBE.

Those are the only two that are in that business.

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hillbilly,
What about INTEC || Area de Salud || Medicina

I think their program is mostly(if not all?) in Spanish, though.

I have a friend in Santo Domingo that graduated from there recently, did an internship in Miami & is now licensed to practice in U.S. as well as in DR. From talking to him while he was in school, I had the impression it was a rather solid education that he was receiving.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You best resource will be the following site and ebook. I have read it, it's outstanding!

The Dominican Republic Student Guide

The guy spent months compiling all the info on all the DR universities, plus lots of other inside stuff. This info you cannot get online and if your serious about studying in the DR, you need this info, it could save you $$$!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The very top schools, PUCMM (Santiago only) and INTEC (Santo Domingo only) only teach in Spanish. Why should the DR prepare doctors for other countries??

That is why the program at UNIBE is so expensive. The other one is just not worth talking about.

Some will mention UCE, but that is a degree mill according to what I have heard from former students.

This person is not qualified to go to a med school in the states. He can buy a degree at UTESA..
God help us...

HB

wtlaw

Dec 21, 2006
RG2007, Training to become a physician implies spending countless hours in hospitals, learning how to take medical from patients in order to understand the problem, diagnose it and then to treat. All your patients at Dominican hospitals speak "only" Spanish. Without spanish there is no way to learn how to practice Medicine in a respectable School in DR.
If I see a graduate applicant from a Dominican Medical School who speaks no spanish, is a red flag and his/her CV goes to the trash. To be a Doctor is serius, not a game to play with the health of individuals.