Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We're now renting a place for RD$9000/month and renting our casita for $3000 to mi esposa's sister, so $6000 net. The apt is new construction with water, cable and electric included. I might use the same floor plan and Maestro for our build but with rent so cheap, I'm not in a hurry. Two bedrooms, nice kitchen. I figure around a million pesos to build on mi esposa's lot for about 800 sq ft. It took about five months for the apt to have three units built.

Last edited by PeterInBrat; 10-12-2016 at 06:38 PM.

2. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default u still around

I saw your post and I want to buy and rehab a house in Sosua over the next three years.

I live in Florida but I want to live part time in Sosua. I am reaching out to you to see if I can call on you for advice?

James

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhilly View Post
    I saw your post and I want to buy and rehab a house in Sosua over the next three years.

I live in Florida but I want to live part time in Sosua. I am reaching out to you to see if I can call on you for advice?

James
    Hi James,
    I was somewhat in the same boat as you. I am semi-retired. I have been going to Cabarete for many years now, each year I have stayed longer & longer. I just returned a few days from my longest stay I left NJ on 12/27. I have gone back & forth debating , researching, and trying to decide what to do. I have looked at houses & condominiums both brand new & ones in need of rehab. I have finally decided that I will just continue to rent a condo. After many conversations with friends that own or rent down there I feel this is the best. Save my money, and the headaches associated with not only building or rehabbing but physically owning a place. Let that be someone elses problem & stress. That's just my opiniĆ³n I am sure many others will have there own. I am 52, and finanically well off, I could easily afford to flat out buy a place. I am close to the end of getting residency. Good luck in whatever you decide

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What additional breathtaking Intellectual Property would a "Maestro" be sitting on that any other normal person of average intelligence have after spending 4-8 hours reading a a few book(s) on this building technique front-to-back cover-to-cover ? Is a couple of passes with a rented backhoe, tying together rebar and using a level and shovel a new form of rocket science I'm not aware of?

Post Thanks / Like

Default North Coast Alt-Energy?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Nice post, it's now a sticky!

Any other ideas or thoughts to add to this thread?
    Good morning,

I am a technology guy relocating from the oil patch in the US to the north coast. I'm at retirement age but can't seem to stop working so have undertaken some months of evaluation looking at low tech and cost effective alt energy solutions.

Basic guiding premises:

1) Systems at larger scale are less costly on a per Kw since civil costs (at least in hydro) don't increase in a linear fashion with respect to capacity. Plus, smaller system footprint, 24X7 operation, greater energy density, etc, etc, assuming no insurmountable hurdles and favorable flows in the right places.

2) Some low tech low head hydro systems in which all civil works can be done with local concrete work are providing a < 3 year payback in other regions that have lower Kw and higher labor costs than the DR. Hard evaluation may well suggest an even shorter ROI with engineering completed.

3) Issues to be dealt with include permission to utilize in stream flow, with or without small diversion and then back into water course. (All of the tech I am looking at in this regard is low maintenance, debris tolerant and fish safe)

4) Bang for the buck looks to be in about the 15 Kw range for the hydro I'm most partial to at this point. This implies that power generated should be utilized by multiple homes so some density in consumption could be desirable.

5) With respect to PV, there are at least a score of quality flexible, thin film PV manufacturers with good product on the market at this time and I'm keen to investigate the feasibility of direct roof application to concrete roofs with suitable orientation.

6) It is my understanding that one of the issue favoring larger scale projects (15 - 30 Kw) is that interconnects to the grid require automatic disconnect from the grid in the event that the grid goes down. The cost of these controls also does not increase in a linear fashion and is standard on inverters meeting UL 1741 standards.

I am planning to do some site work in Cabrera in the next month or so as I haven't been able to gather the topographical and stream flow information I need remotely and I want to meet some of the expats in the area.

Overall, with the net metering provisions, tax advantages, economies of scale and what I take (at least at this time) to be the possibility of suitable local skilled labor, I'm keen to dig into this further.

Meanwhile, if you know anyone who need some consulting on Enhanced Oil Recovery technologies, hook me up!

All slings, arrows and comments welcome.

Kind regards,

Jay Reynolds

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849