Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    NL

With all due respect other than my last post I don't believe I have mentioned "God" once in this thread.

Why did I then bother to post this in my last post? Because I was being provoked and ridiculed and my motives were being second guessed. I therefore think it's quite relevant to point out to all why I started to help people and start this thread. As far as I can tell it has helped many people to realize their dreams of building a home here that may have not been possible.
    In all fairness to you, you are correct, you didn't initially inject religion into this thread out of the blue. However, I know from the examples of other threads how quickly threads tend to degrade when hot button issues are discussed. All I want, and probably other too, is the continual free flow of home building tips and info on this thread. This will be my last unrelated post on this thread.

Again Chip, thanks for sharing, helping and understanding.
    NotLurking

2. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have been working out on constructing houses for like 2 months now and have learned exactly the way you explained it. People must know what they are paying for and how much is the exact value. My father did the same mistake years ago and never anyone had any idea of it. But now it is easy and i believe everyone must know exactly for what and how much they are suppose to be paying.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the "Atta Boy" chip!

But I really don't like being referred to as "Savior"!
    I'm too humble for that!
    I, like you, just go through life trying to help people.
    I, actually, do it for "FREE"!
    "OTHERS", with "agendas", "Not-So-MUCH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's "God Like" about THAT???
    My "DAD" does not approve!
    Gotta get ready for "Schule"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

5. Dislikes Lothario666 disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    But I really don't like being referred to as "Savior"!
    I'm too humble for that!
    I, like you, just go through life trying to help people.
    I, actually, do it for "FREE"!
    "OTHERS", with "agendas", "Not-So-MUCH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's "God Like" about THAT???
    My "DAD" does not approve!
    Gotta get ready for "Schule"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    I've given lots of free advice on this forum and I've maybe made an average of US2000-3000 a year a construction consultant so it's not like I'm getting rich. If I was personally wealthy I would do it all for free because I like to be helpful.

7. Likes SteveK, Luperon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip,

My wife & I have considered building a home in the DR, Santiago area. Fortunately, she inherited some land from her family.
    My question is if it's possible to build a home for about 50-60k US dollars...really appreciate yours or anyone's input on the
    board...stay blessed..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Chip,

My wife & I have considered building a home in the DR, Santiago area. Fortunately, she inherited some land from her family.
    My question is if it's possible to build a home for about 50-60k US dollars...really appreciate yours or anyone's input on the
    board...stay blessed..
    It can be done, but it would have to be somewhat small. I am currently working on a masters and we are discussing advanced building systems. I plan on utilizing them for upper and lower end homes.

For the higher end ones basically block is no longer used and we go with a beam and post structural system and then lightweight panels of thin concrete and sheetrock. I expect I can get the cost of construction to RD15,000 per m2 or less (US34/sf).

For the lower end ones the same lightweight structural system is used but recycled plastics will be implemented to get costs to RD7000 per m2 (US16).

Also, since the structures are lightweight the foundations are also smaller and can be slab on grade.

Send me a pm if you would like.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

steve, if you want to build start now... material are getting more and more expensive... i am guessing that 50-60k dollars would get you a small house, like chip says. you would have to cut corners wherever you can because i suggest you splurge on some things... with wood (kitchen cabinets) it is better to spend more. cheap wood does not last long. similarly windows and doors. pick up materials that may be more pricey but will last.

chip (or others) will fill you in. and yes, before you ask, i have no first hand house building experience. i only know some stuff since we have made many changes to the house we bought and i saw the bills. and after new years here i figured out when dominican solutions are better that europena ideas

11. Likes SteveK liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Chip & dv8 for your advice...much appreciated..all the best..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    For the higher end ones basically block is no longer used and we go with a beam and post structural system and then lightweight panels of thin concrete and sheetrock.
    Interesting! Do you have any more info on this building technique? Is it currently being used in DR and are the materials readily available?

I've seen sheetrock in the ferreterias, but not the thin concrete panels. Considering the propensity of sheetrock for becoming a breeding ground for mold and the high humidity conditions that are prevalent in DR, I don't consider it an optimal building material for use there.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Where can I purchase the "Thin Concrete/sheet rock panels", and the "Recycled Plastic"??????????????
    I didn't realize they were available in the DR.
    CC

Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast