Who are the biggest lurkers and WHY

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This thread is similar but at the same time different than the one called "Who's the biggest lurker". Some of us would like to know WHY you are a lurker. Hopefully there is something to learn from the answers. Come on LURKERS speak up!!!!!

Disclaimer
As far as I know no one will be punish for speaking up.:cheeky:

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think lurkers are lurkers because they would rather read than post so maybe they won't reply ;)

I did that the first couple of years. I wanted to read and learn rather than post.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..lurkers never sleep, and all the lurkers will go to paradise..

I'm the biggest lurker, waiting on the next post from RickToronto and Jim Hinsch, I need to know what's going on in Boca Chica......haaaaaaaaaaahaaaaa haaaheeeeeheehee

C

Chip00

Although I joined in 2003 I didn't start really posting here on DR1 until a few months after we moved here to the DR in 2006. The reason was that I really didn't feel qualified during those years to say a whole lot not to mention the fact that Iwas somewhat busy with my job in the States. Now that I am here in the DR obviously my focus has changed and I have more time on my hand to boot.

Chip00

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
This thread is similar but at the same time different than the one called "Who's the biggest lurker". Some of us would like to know WHY you are a lurker. Hopefully there is something to learn from the answers. Come on LURKERS speak up!!!!!

Disclaimer
As far as I know no one will be punish for speaking up.:cheeky:

I lived in the Dominican Republic from 1986 till 1997..............(Cabarete) I still get homesick (yes, i still consider there HOME!) and i lurk to keep connected and up to date on the happenings.
Lots of changes over the years (I manage to visit a couple of times per year). The only thing that hasnt changed AT ALL is the sankie stuff!!!!! We had a tourist business there and would drop off the tourists at one end of the airport with them crying on the "sankie du jour" and then pick up the fresh crop of tourists from arrivals and see the sankies at that end checking out the new pickings! Yup! Still the same..............................
Anyways, i only contribute if any of you "experts" dont have the answer.LOL
DR1 keeps me entertained for the most part. And the stuff that i dont like, or is getting too mean or controversial, i dont read. LIfe is too short to get upset over a message board!
Sunny44

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I lived in the Dominican Republic from 1986 till 1997..............(Cabarete) I still get homesick (yes, i still consider there HOME!) and i lurk to keep connected and up to date on the happenings.
Lots of changes over the years (I manage to visit a couple of times per year). The only thing that hasnt changed AT ALL is the sankie stuff!!!!! We had a tourist business there and would drop off the tourists at one end of the airport with them crying on the "sankie du jour" and then pick up the fresh crop of tourists from arrivals and see the sankies at that end checking out the new pickings! Yup! Still the same..............................
Anyways, i only contribute if any of you "experts" dont have the answer.LOL
DR1 keeps me entertained for the most part. And the stuff that i dont like, or is getting too mean or controversial, i dont read. LIfe is too short to get upset over a message board!
Sunny44

0.03 post per day. Has to be the lowest or one of the top 3 lowest I've seen. Ever thought on coming back to live in the DR? Btw thanks for response.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
0.03 post per day. Has to be the lowest or one of the top 3 lowest I've seen. Ever thought on coming back to live in the DR? Btw thanks for response.

I know.....you are just trying to get me to lose my "lurkness"! LOL
Yes, have thought many times of going back to live there................... I am pretty comfortable in the "real" world now.....................it took MANY years to adjust to life back here..................maybe someday. Not sure i would have the patience anymore with acutally living there full time. I think my ideal way of life would be mostly here and then spend the worst of the winter weather there! STILL have not adjusted to the bitter wind and ice. The northeast US can get some NASTY winter weather.
My future will ALWAYS include the Dominican Republic in some capacity. It is in my heart.

Feb 9, 2006
Again, Me.

I am the biggest lurker. Why? Because I generally don't have anything nice to say (and my Mama taught me...you know). But, this site is dynamic, entertaining, and somewhat addictive.

Actually, I had done a bunch of research (including this board) many years ago about relocating to the DR. My conclusion was that it was not a place for my family. The reasons are numerous and personal.

That said, there are posters who are absolutely bonkers about the place. Some who were able to set-up shop long ago (when it was easily affordable) and were willing and able to assimilate into their community. Some who are worldly, educated, well-employed and bi-lingual. Some who have relatives/spouses who provide a solid foundation. And some who can travel every other month. But they all share this zeal for this country, despite its blemishes.

Then there are the people who fall in love with the place and want to be there. But they are lacking in some way, shape, or form (money, linguistics, education, common-sense, etc). And these folks get some pretty eye-opening, candid, and helpful advice. From a few. But they also have to hear from the smart-a$$, know-it-alls who thrive on being superior.

Those people pi$$ me off and bring out the worst in me. But this is the essence of an interactive forum. And I won't attempt to "protect" naive posters from the "big mouths" or from themselves, because I really don't care. But it is entertaining (in some sad sort of way), so I lurk.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If this site has a lot of lurkers, that's usually a good thing, as you won't have 8000 n00bs posting the same questions without searching the forums first. Be glad for it! It makes being an admin way easier, that's for sure. Could you imagine if every other post was like:

hay guise, i r new here. want to get a passport ASAP. halp plz!

You'd probably want to kill yourself.

Then again, maybe a lot of the lurkers are farming for information. I don't know...

Sometimes a "Lurker" adds more value than one that posts and says nothing!

***HINT***

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Sometimes a "Lurker" adds more value than one that posts and says nothing!
Abe said it best, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Disclaimer: I remain silent :speechles

solamentetu

Oct 21, 2004
I think I learn much more from reading than I do from posting. Furthermore, whenever there is something I want to say-- it has already been said. I gain a lot of insight from what I read here.. and I don't feel what I know is adequate to contribute to many of these conversations (since I am not exposed to Dominican politics, I don't know what to say there). Since I don't frequent the D.R. and don't really have any relatives there, I can't comment on the economy. I just feel it's better to be an onlooker for now.

Rachael

Feb 8, 2002
I joined long ago while researching for a trip. Before the board was reformatted. I used to post more often just to provide references etc for day trips or things I had experienced. I stopped posting because some things got very negative for a while and I just didn't like the way reading the board made me feel for a while. I actually just came on today for the first time in over a year. I do like to read up on the topics being posted and continue to check out what is going on. I hope to make it back to the DR sometime soon. I'll mostly just lurk here and there going forward.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I think I learn much more from reading than I do from posting. Furthermore, whenever there is something I want to say-- it has already been said. I gain a lot of insight from what I read here.. and I don't feel what I know is adequate to contribute to many of these conversations (since I am not exposed to Dominican politics, I don't know what to say there). Since I don't frequent the D.R. and don't really have any relatives there, I can't comment on the economy. I just feel it's better to be an onlooker for now.

You have got to be on top of the list of lurkers.

It seems there is quite a few of you guys and gals out there. Happy reading.:cheeky:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I joined long ago while researching for a trip. Before the board was reformatted. I used to post more often just to provide references etc for day trips or things I had experienced. I stopped posting because some things got very negative for a while and I just didn't like the way reading the board made me feel for a while. I actually just came on today for the first time in over a year. I do like to read up on the topics being posted and continue to check out what is going on. I hope to make it back to the DR sometime soon. I'll mostly just lurk here and there going forward.

Thanks for coming out and posting. I have read other lurkers say the same thing about the negativity, but I do think there is more of an air of civility now.:cheeky:

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
learning

I am more of a lurker too, because I'm just learning.I wish I had more to contribute but as time goes on I know I will.
We have been to the DR several times, the last trip we bought a condo in Punta Cana. This trip in a few weeks we will be looking at villas as we want to move premanently in 3-4 years. This forum is a source of great information and alot of fun!!! :classic:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Occasionally posting on DR1 is not unlike passing wind in a crowded elevator. Best not post, or for that matter, pass wind, if it's loud and noisy.
Maybe that could be a new DR1 feature, a type of "scrath & sniff" with audio, so that we could get the full flavour of the post.;)

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..lurkers are not bad people....

I'm really sorry about this but I think I've just disqualified myself from the lurker competition now when I'm up to more than 100 posts, and it didn't take ten years but only five. I know I got to be careful now so I don?t get banned for ab*sing the board, well I think I put my headset back on back to Los Toros Band and Mimi Ibarra. Hasta luego.