Something that DR tourism has known for a "decade"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
French Deemed Worst Tourists
Posted May 23rd 2007 11:36AM by Neil Woodburn
Filed under: Europe, China, India, Russian Federation, France, United Stat
es

It's a debate that will never be definitively decided, but for the time being, the French are officially the worst tourists in Europe according to a recent survey of 15,000 European hoteliers.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the same survey has determined that the very best tourists are the Japanese. Americans, despite the bad rap they usually receive, were deemed the second best--although this was a hollow victory as the Americans were also voted the worst dressed tourists according to the same survey (speaking for myself, guilty as charged!).

The five worst tourists according to the survey come from the following countries:

1. France
2. India
3. China
4. Russia
5. Britain

And the best tourists in the world are... Wed May 23, 8:21 AM ETLONDON (Reuters) - The best tourists in the world are the Japanese, followed by Americans and the Swiss, a survey based on views from hoteliers across Europe said Wednesday.

Japanese tourists stood out for being polite and tidy, securing 35 percent more votes than the Americans who came second.

Swiss tourists were commended for being quiet and considerate, unlike the Britons who were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.

But despite their faults, hoteliers do look favorably upon British spending habits voting them the third biggest holiday spenders after Americans and Russians.

Based on responses from 15,000 European hoteliers, the survey carried out on behalf of travel Web site Expedia showed that the worst tourist nation was France, followed by India, China and Russia.

Britain was second in the worst-dressed tourist table which was headed by the Americans, and fifth in the least-generous table which was headed by the Germans.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
unlike the Britons who were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.

LMAO....I had heard that the Britons were very cheap but so are Indians and even blacks. I feel that Americans take tipping to an extreme, though.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i am guilty as charged for the overtipping but i'm also a sucker for a pretty smile from a nice waitress :laugh: some americans tip as though we are in the US not thinking of the economy for the DR. i know this may be difficult but some owners should give americans a suttle hint on tipping. i also think there are exceptions to every rule as far as "cheap" tourists.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Excuse me, dms3611, but us older folk have known this for more than four decades!! And the Dominican people know this.
When former president Balaguer was told of how marvelous things were in Switzerland, his comment was: "Well, bring me the Swiss."
Interesting survey.

HB

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
They forgot to add the Spanish for being cheap and the Italians for being too boisterious! Of course here on the island, the Dominicans can always be counted upon for squeezing in 10 people for a room designed for 4,...and only paying for 2! LOL!!!!!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The Spaniards are the cheapest tourists, and usually noisy too... I think they really are the worst "westerners" tourists !

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I think the Americans got such a high rating because the hoteliers had them confused with the friendly Canadian tourists :p jk. I won't go into who I think are the worst, but as for tipping, you can never really overtip, unless doing so might put you in a comprimising situation i.e. people following you to your hotel because they think you are rich. I will always leave anywhere from 10% to 25% on top of the "ley%", and it usually assures me quality service, in fact excellent service - if the snotty service back home expects and gets that much, why shouldn't quality service in the DR be just as deserving??? Plus, I find that if you tip where people aren't accustomed to it, your service will be 10x better and quicker than for everyone else - reminds me of Uruguay, 20 people already waiting for a drink, and I get to bypass the line because I left $1 on my last drink. It's something to think about.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I remember speaking to a Spaniard who made this comment about British tourists - "on the one hand we have the stereotype of the English gentleman, and then we get these specimens" - meaning the "lager louts" who flock to the Costas.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
ask a dominican who is cheap and he will say most europeans. ask a working girl and she'll say most older men. ask a non working woman and she'll say younger men.

ask an ex-pat DR businessman who is cheap and he'll say ???

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I have to say that on a whole, Europeans are definately cheap. While in the DR I met some Norwegian girls who looked at me as though I were crazy for leaving 15% on a bill. I met German who would walk over an hour each way to his job in Santo Domingo, when I asked his rationale, he said "in 2 months I will save 45 Euros" haha, he then said it was for the excercise, but you could tell the 45 Euros were a factor. That same German, and another german I knew were shopping for wine for a dinner at the Ambassador's house, I suggested a U$S 15 - $20 bottle, they said "No! that's too much!", so they split on $7 bottle, and had it gift-wrapped!!! haha.

I guess it's part of the culture to be frugal, and maybe tip or "service" is included in the bill in Europe, I just think it's cheap.

And as for the English, I think Hooligans are one of the main exports, no?

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Hey where did us Canadians rate or did we get lumped in with the Americans.
Well at least we are better dressed, remember no socks with sandals;)
hifiman

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
no canadians will never be mixed in with americans, you cheap SOB's. :laugh:
besides you guys wear speedos and you weigh 300 pounds...

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
First off, I would not or have not been mixed in or mistaken for an American

Don't paint all Canadians with the same brush. We're not all cheap as you claim. There are cheap people from all over the world.

I can tell you many fat Americans and Europeans also wear speedos. But one thing that sets Canadians apart from other nationalities is tact, friendliness and common courtesy.

curlyq

gini

Dec 12, 2005
I guess it's part of the culture to be frugal, and maybe tip or "service" is included in the bill in Europe, I just think it's cheap.

Exactly !! Almost in Belgium, and more than this, the posted price is the final price, all taxes, service and ITBIS included. But tipping is not forbidden ;)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007

Europeans are not accustomed to tipping. They "round up", but do not specifically leave large tips. Also, staff (waiters, bellmen, bartenders, etc.) are paid quite well in Europe with health and social insurance and quite big unemployment benefits paid for by the employer. The "worst" in this regard - France. Over there it is almost impossible to fire somebody, and if so, with a huge compensation package.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
First off, I would not or have not been mixed in or mistaken for an American

Don't paint all Canadians with the same brush. We're not all cheap as you claim. There are cheap people from all over the world.

I can tell you many fat Americans and Europeans also wear speedos. But one thing that sets Canadians apart from other nationalities is tact, friendliness and common courtesy.

curlyq

what really sets them apart is their lack of soap..but that's another subject.:ermm:
i'm just poking fun, don't take me seriously...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Actually, it should be in another forum, I don't see what we need to debate about :)

Before this goes South. Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.