Questions about Propane gas

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
I understand that propane gas is much more economical to use for your car i the DR.

3 questions?

Is it safe

How many gallons per mile do you get VS gasoline?

Why isn't it an alternative form of energy available in USA or Canadian gas stations?

thanks foe your help!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Because of government subsidies, propane (LPG) is about RD$50 a gallon, vs. RD$140-RD$160 a gallon for regular or premium. You get about 75% of the mileage vs gasoline. It can damage valves and other parts over time.
Is it safe? It can be, if the system is properly installed and maintained. One of my guys has his Trail Blazer set up with LPG, and it works great.

Natural gas will be offered to the public over the coming months as a substitute for LPG. It is cheaper, and as efficient. We'll see where that goes.

I don't know why in the States. LPG is used in many large warehouses and factories to move forklifts about.

There might be safety issues in the states. A highway crash with propane could be truly gruesome...

did this help?

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Years ago

I understand that propane gas is much more economical to use for your car i the DR.

3 questions?

Is it safe

How many gallons per mile do you get VS gasoline?

Why isn't it an alternative form of energy available in USA or Canadian gas stations?

thanks foe your help!

Years ago most of the 18 wheelers ran on propane, all the truck stops had it. And when I was a kid I remember lots of pickups, and farm tractors that used it. Not sure why it went out of favor, but Hillbilly has a point, because I also remember a few blowups. Had to handle it carefully.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Subsidies Misused

The Dominican Government subsidizes LPG with almost 22 RD$ per gallon, which is meant to help the 'amas de la casa' to afford it and use it as cooking fuel, thus preventing charcoal use with its harmful consequences to the environment (as was done in Haiti).

However, much of this subsidized commodity is burnt in taxis and big engine luxury cars often causing shortages of the gas.

I do hope that the government will soon find a way to ensure that subsidized LPG will go to the households only.

m'frog

Feb 7, 2007
Well, even if the government stops subsidizing LPG/natural gas for cars, it will still be cheaper to use LPG or natural gas than gasoline.

Inputs:
RD$50 per gallon of LPG (price)
RD$22 per gallon of LPG (subsidy)
75% efectivness of LPG vs gasoline
RD$149 per gallon of gasoline

50 + 22 / 0.75 = 96
It means 96 pesos worth of LPG (unsubsidized) would equal mileage gotten off 1 gallon of gasoline.

96 < 149

Still results in 36% savings with the same mileage and with non-subsidized LPG.

Feb 7, 2007
Why the government won't stop subsidizing LPG for cars?
Because that would mean increase in fares for all carros publicos and revolt in the population. The population has had enough of raising costs of all types of fuel and resulting increase in fares for public transportaion (local and long-distance alike). Increasing fares even further would mean a sword over the government's head. So not to increase fares (at least where LPG is concrened) they won't decrease/cease LPG subsidies.

And because it is impossible to say that "carros publicos and private "normal" cars can get subsidiezd LPG", but private "luxyry" cars cannot, (constitution wise, discrimination) they would not be able to institute non-subsidized LPG for luxury cars only.
And besides, the one who can affor Prado and taking it to do shopping around the corner, can affor the prices of gasoline. And the ones thinking, pay couple of thousands more and buy a diesel engine instead.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Gas

Propane is far safer than gasoline. Usually when a tank catches fire they just let it burn out. All forklifts in food processing plants in the U.S. are either propane or elect. and have been for some 30 years. When I was a kid 40 some years ago. All of Tampa Elect. and G.T & E's fleet vechiles ran on propane. The problem is correct installation and maintaince. My car runs on both with a throw of a switch. I can go from Santo Domingo to Monte Cristi on a full tank about 15 gallons and have gas left over for about 700 pesos. You don't have to change the oil or spark plugs as much because it burns clean. You Do however, lose torque. but, on the road at speed you won't notice anything.

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Propane is far safer than gasoline. Usually when a tank catches fire they just let it burn out. All forklifts in food processing plants in the U.S. are either propane or elect. and have been for some 30 years. When I was a kid 40 some years ago. All of Tampa Elect. and G.T & E's fleet vechiles ran on propane. The problem is correct installation and maintaince. My car runs on both with a throw of a switch. I can go from Santo Domingo to Monte Cristi on a full tank about 15 gallons and have gas left over for about 700 pesos. You don't have to change the oil or spark plugs as much because it burns clean. You Do however, lose torque. but, on the road at speed you won't notice anything.

So then with gasoline prices being so darn high why isnt it readily available as an alternative fuel in the usa?

Jan 5, 2006
Actually, natural gas (not propane) is becoming more common as a fuel for automobiles in the US and Europe. A lot of utilities have now switched their vehicle fleets to natural gas, and large buses are also running on NG.

There are parts of the US where NG filling stations for automobiles are becoming more common, and there are at least 3 manufacturers that I know of, (Ford, Honda, Peugeot) that are making NG powered cars.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
But you know you never here about on the news. I have been writing Fox and CNN for at least a year. When they have there business segments. And they still never mention it

Because of government subsidies, propane (LPG) is about RD$50 a gallon, vs. RD$140-RD$160 a gallon for regular or premium. You get about 75% of the mileage vs gasoline. It can damage valves and other parts over time.
Is it safe? It can be, if the system is properly installed and maintained. One of my guys has his Trail Blazer set up with LPG, and it works great.

A highway crash with propane could be truly gruesome...

HB

On the European continent LPG in cars has been a common thing for 25+ years, I've seen highway crashes with completely burned cars but never
seen a cilinder explode, they just burn empty.

As for damage to valves and seats due to the higher combustion chamber temperatures, special hardened parts are readily available over the counter.