Need an expert opionion on Roofing problem

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
We need an expert opinion on our roof. We are currently building a new home in Sosua and our builder states that it is normal for water to run between the tiles and the concrete sub roof. We noticed on the fascia that water is seeping through the concrete that has filled the convex shape under the Spanish tile. Now, this water is running consistantly around the whole house.

We don't believe this is normal and one of two things has happened. The over lap of the tiles wasn't enough. Currently the overlap is 3 inches. Or the tile is too porous and is absorbing water. There are no cracks in the tiles. How many tiles should there be per square meter. The base roof was waterproofed and currently no water is seeping into the house, only the "rivers" on the fascia.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Sounds like a big problem to me. I have an Eng. friend who will be back from the U.S. this week. I can ask him when he returns.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Roman and Mediterranean style tiles are a limited protection from water indeed, not only here and in Southern Europe (Roman tiles) but in the US like Southern Florida (Mediterranean tiles) as well.
In Spain we coated concrete roofs with a gum paint and nylon mesh or tar laminate. Here in the DR I see that better quality homes are first coated with a tar laminated which is heat sealed, while cheaper ones are left bare concrete or just painted with regular wall paint (not good enough). The tar liner laminate material is somewhat similar to US tar tiles... just more flexible and thinner and comes in big rolls. Under tiles it should hold up for decades as long the tiles are not disturbed.
Concave corners (roof corner unions) should be lined with aluminum foil about 40 to 60cm wide (come in rolls also), so water can run off easily without degrading the tar liner.
Here sometimes the ones who lay the protection are not the same contractors than the ones who lay the tiles... so, special care should be given to make sure that the later ones don't degrade the liner or protection carelessly.

Roman tiles, while simple, are quite expensive to the square meter because for each one on the top, there is one upside down underneath. Some builders tend to try to save money or cheat using a little bigger spaces in between bottom tiles... this obviously creates a higher risk of water running underneath, upper tiles flying off during storms and offers nestling spaces to birds and rodents which further raises the tile(s).

Hope this helps... J-D.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Thank you for your information. Is there a rule of thumb for over lap? We had heard today that 1/3 overlap is a good standard.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I just noticed a new house in our sub division (POP) where they have installed asphalt sheets on a cement roof. Is this a good idea? Would it cause other issues? Just thought it strange. But I too need a roof leaking issue resolved. We have soaked walls from time to time. But it skips the top part of the wall and soaks the middle part?????????

thanks Phil

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I just noticed a new house in our sub division (POP) where they have installed asphalt sheets on a cement roof. Is this a good idea? Would it cause other issues? Just thought it strange.

It's one of the solutions I mentioned above. If it's done right it should be OK... the only other way would be gum paint with a nylon mesh (net) inlaid. That roof will need to be tiled however or the asphalt or tar liner will dry out and flake off quickly. Some will just paint over that too, but that won't do.

But I too need a roof leaking issue resolved. We have soaked walls from time to time. But it skips the top part of the wall and soaks the middle part?????????

thanks Phil

Soaked (outer) walls inside? There are a variety of reasons why this could happen. Since most houses are cinder block (CBS), water can run it's way from a completely different part.

... J-D.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Roof Tiles

Hi Hicksy,

At this moment I am unable to help you with your roof problem however you may be in a position to help me I am looking for the current price for Roof Tiles and a Good Supplier.

Regards
Thurston

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We are currently building in the sosua area and they have started the roof. First came the tar laminate followed by what we would call tar paper in the US that is put under shingles. This "paper" layer was then heat sealed and finally the tile placed. It should "hold water" so to speak. Anything less would leave me somewhat uneasy.

Bob K

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
What is the appropriate overlap of the tiles and the appropriate overlap of the ridge caps and hip caps.

Unfortunately I can not comment on the current cost of the tiles. We have been refered to a company to get an opinion for our problem. Teja Tec. Bombita Carretera, Sosua 809-571-1278. Contact: Andrea Gude. I will post later on what their comments are when we meet tomorrow.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Dear Hicksy did not realize that this was you until i heard from Ms hicksy. Boy does it ever end. How are you otherwise.

See you soon

Bob K

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Tiles overlap:

Roman tiles: Depending on the roof angle 1/4 to 1/3 of the tile length is sufficient. What is more important is that they are about 1/4" to 1/2 apart max. at the wide end. Try to find roman tiles that are as round as possible (arched).

Here is a typical example of a correct 1/4 Lent overlap while the spacing is too wide (about 1" at the wide to wide end). You can already see how the top tiles will be able to roll off sideways and how easy it will be for water to get under the tiles (I also don't like the curve of these tiles, they are too flat.). This was a competitor's concrete roof in Spain, protected with a couple of coats of gum paint and inlaid nylon mesh:

widespacingou2.jpg

The next shot is not a very good picture for this purpose because it was rather meant to show typical Spanish (one here would say "colonial") finishes. But it shows how narrow Roman tiles ought to be laid (if some are interested in roof line finishes, I have a good bunch of pictures of some we did and also some investigative pictures I took of old buildings):
correctspacingnb8.jpg

Cement is NOT a good material to put tiles on a roof. In the States they use special glues, we used exterior tile and stone glue-cement. If the roof is well made most of the top tiles may just be laid on loose, which makes repairs easier.

... J-D.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Had our opininion from Tejatec and all is well with the roof. Apparently it is common for water to run underneath the tiles ie from: mucho rain, driven by the wind etc. etc. Our cement subroof was waterproofed appropriately. Had pics to show them. Got to love digital cameras.

However, the solution to the water running down the fascia is to remove the last row of tile and cement in a runner of metal that protrudes proud to the tile and moves the water away from the roof. Also adding a gutter or eavestrough will help.This is especially helpful for roof inclinations that are less than 30%.

Please check out their website at TEJATec S.A. Dachsteine und Dachdecker in der Dominikanischen Republik where costs and other technical data can help all of the questions that were posted above. Thank you all for your pictures and the link to the above website. Cheers