Shipping furniture From Louisiana to DR.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Shipping furniture From Louisiana to DR? Anyone know how to do this?

I want to ship my Bed, sofa, chair, desk and some small tables. Is it expensive? How long does it take? Is the cost by size or weight? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Contact a local international mover. We use United. To ship 6000 pounds it was $7,000 dollars. We shipped from Denver Colorado to POP 2006. I wish we had shipped more. But we were told the furniture in America, made of wood would not stand up to insects here. We have since leraned this was incorrect. To ship or buy that is the question! OH, once it arrived here we had to pay an additional $700 customer import tax. It took 2 1/2 months to ship.

C

Chip00

Shipping furniture From Louisiana to DR? Anyone know how to do this?

I want to ship my Bed, sofa, chair, desk and some small tables. Is it expensive? How long does it take? Is the cost by size or weight? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I paid US800 to move our stuff from Orlando to Santiago in 2006.

The kicker will be what Aduanas will charge you.

We were exempt for most stuff because the wife is Dominican and qualified for a "retirement move".

Failing that CAFTA may be able to help you out - contact the Aduanas office.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am not worried about the taxes. my father is Dominican and will be shipping it for me....but I just need to know about shipping cost.

Chip00....what shipping company did you use? 800 is not bad.

C

Chip00

I am not worried about the taxes. my father is Dominican and will be shipping it for me....but I just need to know about shipping cost.

Chip00....what shipping company did you use? 800 is not bad.

Oops - I apologize - it was supposed to say US8000. We had a large container that we put everything we owned into. I don't hink you'll find a much cheaper price that US7000 for your own container.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Oops - I apologize - it was supposed to say US8000. We had a large container that we put everything we owned into. I don't hink you'll find a much cheaper price that US7000 for your own container.

Oh you really got my hopes up....when you wrote 800 ;)...ok...thanks for the correction.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Forget moving Co's... go to a shipping Co.

Don't use a moving company... go to a shipping company directly. They don't truck stuff down here. Moving Co's have nothing to do with that, except that they will over charge. Get a cuote for a 20 foot or 40 container and it should run you less than half of what they cuoted you so far. I've done it from Europe to Ecuador, form there to the US and from there to Spain and I will have my stuff coming from there in a 40 footer here soon.
Shippers will send a container out to your location for a couple of days too.

... J-D.

lajackael

Dec 12, 2004
pages.prodigy.net
I seem to remember paying something to the tune of $4000.00 to ship two cars(a pathfinder SUV and a Volkswagon) and my entire 7 rooms of household goods to DR. I am posting the address to the company I used after saying this.
The cost of shipping the cargo was trivial.....that is the easy part. I did have to transfer my things to a port in Newark New Jersey(big deal). It was only after I went to pick things up that got tricky. First even though my wife is Dominican/American she was not savvy to the "tricks" that came upon us. They say you "have"to pay someone to work the details to unload it. We paid twice. The first time the women we paid $750.00 to did not show up. We paid another guy again and the women who we first paid "then" showed up and pulled a pistola on us because she had planned to make a fortune off of us through Cacedo(bad spelling). Its a long ugly unimportant story...but I am using it as a warning. You can get your own things off the boat......I ended up paying $12, 500 in car import tax and another three to four thousand gringo tax etc..$575.00 because my 55 inch TV is over the 50 inch limit. Also I had to pay because my vehicles and cargo sat on the pier(because I was not allowed to pick it up. ) And on and on. This was in early 2005 and me and my wife saw all the Katrina cars that were being brought to DR to sell.
Below is the service I used for $4000.00 to include two cars and 7 rooms.

Point of contact is:
Jane
Cargo International Logistics Inc.
Suite 20, 3729 Union Road,
Cheektowaga, New York 14225-4246 USA
Phone: 1-716-686-9588 Fax: 1-586-314-0201
Phone: 1-914-328-4324 Fax: 1-914-946-3093
North American Toll Free - Tel: 1-888-253-3458 Fax: 1-888-253-9155
E-mail: cargo@centretradegroup.com or logistics@centretradegroup.com
GENERAL MARITIME SERVICES

C

Chip00

We paid twice. The first time the women we paid $750.00 to did not show up. We paid another guy again and the women who we first paid "then" showed up and pulled a pistola on us because she had planned to make a fortune off of us through Cacedo(bad spelling). Its a long ugly unimportant story...but I am using it as a warning.

US4K is a good price - as far as the story of the tiguera - I think that could be very informative if you don't mind sharing - I'm sure we could all learn something if only what to look out for.

lajackael

Dec 12, 2004
pages.prodigy.net
Reference the "tiguera" (this happened June of 2005)
My wife although american/dominican was not savvy to the sharks that circle Aduana. We were introduced to a woman who would be happy to assist us obtain our shipment for a price. Which was $750.00. I was hesitant about giving her the whole $750.00. My wife insisted there was a rush to get our goods off the port(which is true..you pay for storage). "MY WIFE" gave her the whole $750.00 on a monday and she processed the paperwork but refused to come to the port to assist. We believe "NOW" that people of her trade work with the people in Cacedo and get part of the cut when the final processing takes place. First they leave your goods on the Port to make storage go up and then when the "DO" process your goods they raise the price of tax's to send some of the money into their pocket. Our "tiguera" had all the money and would not come to get us off the port. We hired someone else on saturday morning when she said she was having her nails and hair done, and was "BUSY".
When someone in Caucedo called her and told her we were picking up our things she showed up. Demanded we dismiss the other person. She said she had the paperwork and she would finish the processing when she felt like it.Her problem was my wife is Dominican and had reached her last nerve. They argued and got into a heated thing. My wife"dived" on the table(whole body) for the paperwork and the Caucedo police pulled her back. I was left in the middle shocked and, suddenly I saw this woman named "Juana" from "Dominican Shipping in SD" bring out a silver pistola and as it left her purse people were "BEGGING" her to not shot someone(most likely ME and my Wife). There is sign in Caucedo "NO pistolas". The police walked the woman to her car to let her go home. I YELLED to the top of my lungs..US EMBASSY...US EMBASSY.....I want US Embassy....PISTOLA !!!! The crowed told the police they were afraid of the US Embassy investigating Caucedo . So!!! We all went to the SD Police station........they police who pulled my wife back lied and said I tried to assault the woman with the pistola. When I talked to the police chief....I told him I was a former law enforcement officer from Virginia for 10 years who worked part time as a US Marshall and with the FBI(I wanted them to know I had friends in the Justice Department/I showed them my credentials and the fact that I now owned a Private Investigative firm in VA. The woman had no permit. She was kept at the station. Before I left her brother a lawyer came and talked to the police chief. She was carrying his permit.
The NEXT day when I went to pick up my cars and household goods I bumped into the woman talking to a new client......she had been set free and was back in business. What we paid $750.00 for you can do yourself if you are patient. We meet another couple who were dominican/american who did the complete process themselves. I do not carry resentment against Juana of Dominican Shipment in SD. I carry resentment against the police officer who worked in cacedo(who grabbed my wife) and Juana told him if he got her off she would pay him a LOT of money.