Feline Leukemia Vaccination?

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
I've done a search of the board, but I haven't seen any mention of this.

When I took my cat to the vet this morning she asked if this particular innoculation was an entry requirement for the DR. My cat got all the other vaccines today (including rabies) but not the FL. The vet is reluctant to give it due to possible side effects. The vet also said that a simple blood test will show if my cat has ever been exposed to the virus and she can write up a certificate to say that my cat is virus free.

Is Feline Leukemia a concern in the DR? Has anyone who has brought a cat in been required to have the FL shot or test done?

Thanks very much!

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Hopefully it is not required. We will have a cat move with us who has had a very bad reaction the only time he was given the shot.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Friends gave me a cat in the D.R. I took it to the dominican vet. He recommended vaccines for rabies, distemper, cats HIV. He did not say a word about feline leukemia

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
My cat, who is Dominican born and bred, has just this week been diagnosed with Feline Leukemia. We were told it was quite common here and I do know of one other cat who died from it.

Sorry to bring bad news but you really should have the jab.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
My cat, who is Dominican born and bred, has just this week been diagnosed with Feline Leukemia. We were told it was quite common here and I do know of one other cat who died from it.

Sorry to bring bad news but you really should have the jab.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your poor cat!

I'm really not 100% sure of giving mine the vaccine though - she's 12 and I'm concerned about the side effects. She's a strictly indoor cat as well so communicable diseases are a low risk for her.

My main concern is whether or not she'll need the vaccination to get through DR Customs when we arrive.

Thank you for your reply - and thanks to the others who've replied as well.