Sharks (not human)

B

batich

A female friend of mine with her sister rented a car in Sosua four days ago and went to Samana. There they found a beautiful secluded beach and left swimming.

In about 300 m from the beach they saw a two-meter long shark that was swimming in just one meter from them.

It is hard to expain why it did not attack them and allowed them to return to the land.

Sister`s little son was at the beach alone at that time.

I told her many times that there is alot of sharks in the water here and not to swim this far.

Please be very careful everybody.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
A female friend of mine with her sister rented a car in Sosua four days ago and went to Samana. There they found a beautiful secluded beach and left swimming.

In about 300 m from the beach they saw a two-meter long shark that was swimming in just one meter from them.

It is hard to expain why it did not attack them and allowed them to return to the land.

Sister`s little son was at the beach alone at that time.

I told her many times that there is alot of sharks in the water here and not to swim this far.

Please be very careful everybody.

Maybe the shark did not expect people swimming 300 meters off the beach and got suspicious he could get crazy too from eating them.

... J-D.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
300 meters is pretty darned far, but if you've been telling people there are a lot of sharks in our waters here, you would be giving them misinformation.
Seeing a shark in the DR is about as uncommon as winning the lottery.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I just returned this morning from Azua, and went shoping next door to El Nacional Supermarket (Bella Vista Mall), and surprise! on one of the fish gondolas in front of the seafood section there was a whole shark for sale. I asked the attendant for the price, but he seemed not to understand my question. So I told him bluntly, never mind! and continued to the delicatessen section....

By the way, 99.99 percent of sharks are deadly afraid of people, like stray dogs, they will quickly shy away from you, "Ugh!!! I almost touched a human", is what probably goes through their shark minds. Sharks are carrion feeders, which means they will only eat dead flesh. So when you hear news about an unfortunate bunch of Dominicans trying to flee this Dominican paradise, and their yola overturns in the treacherous sea between Miches and Mayaguez PR, they all probably drowned before the sharks decided to feast on them....

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
300 meters is pretty darned far, but if you've been telling people there are a lot of sharks in our waters here, you would be giving them misinformation.
Seeing a shark in the DR is about as uncommon as winning the lottery.

I guess that means all of the sharks must be on the beach

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sharks are carrion feeders, which means they will only eat dead flesh. So when you hear news about an unfortunate bunch of Dominicans trying to flee this Dominican paradise, and their yola overturns in the treacherous sea between Miches and Mayaguez PR, they all probably drowned before the sharks decided to feast on them....
SHARKS & RAYS - Diet & Eating Habits

Then why do sharks attack humans in the water? They hardly appear or smell dead.

I think I dated some carrion once.;)

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Mirador, have you ever heard of the U.S.S. Indianapolis. It was a boat carring the bomb in world war 2. over 1,000 men went into the water and only 300 came out. What about the Airplane that went down about 5 years ago off POP all people on board had shark bites. Ask any local fishermen and they have stories. Last year in front of Las Americas I say about a 500lb. hammerhead caught rite off shore.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Don't blame the sharks....

Mirador, have you ever heard of the U.S.S. Indianapolis. It was a boat carring the bomb in world war 2. over 1,000 men went into the water and only 300 came out. ...

"At 14 minutes past midnight, on 30 July 1945, midway between Guam and Leyte Gulf, she was hit by two torpedoes out of six fired by the I-58, a Japanese submarine. The first blew away the bow, the second struck near midship on the starboard side adjacent to a fuel tank and a powder magazine. The resulting explosion split the ship to the keel, knocking out all electric power. Within minutes she went down rapidly by the bow, rolling to starboard."

USS Indianapolis CA-35

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
SHARKS & RAYS - Diet & Eating Habits

Then why do sharks attack humans in the water? They hardly appear or smell dead.
Of course, you're right.
Sharks in general are not carrion eaters.
They certainly would bite a human, on a given occasion.
Anyone who watches TV knows that.

Getting back to sharks & the DR, I would guess that we have less sharks in our swimming waters than anywhere in the Caribbean.
I have no idea why, but I can tell you stories of divers working at dive shops, diving everyday for years, and never even seeing one, let alone seeing one in the shallows where people swim.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dont worry about it....

According to George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack Files at the University of Florida, the annual risk of death from lightning is 30 times greater than that from a shark attack.

BBC News

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
When a shark bites a human, the immediate taste is so unreconizable, the shark just let's go.

My son is a surfer, and sharks swim by him all day long. My wife hates this, but it is better than video games.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
According to George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack Files at the University of Florida, the annual risk of death from lightning is 30 times greater than that from a shark attack.

BBC News

I'm sure the risk is even lower for people living in, say, Chad. How about for those people that actually go swimming in the sea?

G

gary short

I'm sure the risk is even lower for people living in, say, Chad. How about for those people that actually go swimming in the sea?

By the way...........are there any stats on shark attack victims being hit by lightning.............

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Here's what the expert says....

Please read the following, before moving to Chad...;-)

George Burgess is director of the International Shark Attack File (ISAF) at the University of Florida.

The organization was founded by the U.S. Navy in 1958 in response to the numerous shark attacks on sailors during World War II, and is now managed by the University of Florida in Gainesville, Fla. More than 3,200 worldwide shark-attack investigations dating to the mid-1500s are housed at ISAF.

Since 1997, the ISAF has recorded six shark attacks in the Caribbean, compared to 96 in North America and 30 in South Africa.

The Bahamas, with its huge amount of coastline and larger tourist and resident populations, has recorded more attacks than any other Caribbean destination - still only 35 since 1896 - while the rest of the region averages less than one attack each year. Florida averages 20 to 30 shark attacks each year.

Burgess says most shark attacks are cases of mistaken identity, when sharks confuse swimming humans for bait fish in the poor visibility created by waves breaking along the shore. Unlike California or the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S., the Caribbean doesn't usually receive much strong shoreline surf. With less surf comes better visibility and a smaller chance of mistaking a foot for a mullet - which means fewer attacks.

So how can you avoid becoming shark bait without boycotting the water altogether? Safety in numbers is a good idea since sharks are usually frightened by large groups. Also, avoid wearing shiny jewelry and metallic-colored swimsuits since a shark could mistake the sheen for a shimmery fish. If you're snorkeling or diving and see a shark acting aggressively - rubbing its belly on the sea floor, lowering its pectoral fins or swimming erratically - get out of the water. And know that if you spear a fish, your risk for attack escalates because sharks can smell the blood of a wounded fish and detect the struggle from miles away.

The Truth About Caribbean Sharks

G

gary short

Thanks......so all you distance swimmers out there...lets get a Mona Passage distance swim event happening

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
By the way...........are there any stats on shark attack victims being hit by lightning.............

Yes , when the Realator sell's a prospect a property, and they find out what the true story is , it's the same as being hit by lightning.

Some live and some die

I am new to this , so I hope no one get's upset

I am a litigator so keep the lawyer jokes coming.

I had a blonde in my office, but she drowned when her mirror fell in the pool

G

gary short

Geez Bob......have you been welcomed to DR1???? If not welcome!!!!!!!!!
Also your blonde joke sucks........hows about...I had a blonde in my office today ...

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
Geez Bob......have you been welcomed to DR1???? If not welcome!!!!!!!!!
Also your blonde joke sucks........hows about...I had a blonde in my office today ...

I am so sorry I have offended you, I did not know you had to be welcomed.

Is this an open Forum or a private club ?