Searching DR1 Forums

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I would really appreciate it if someone would please instruct me on how to effectively use the DR1 search feature.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would really appreciate it if someone would please instruct me on how to effectively use the DR1 search feature.
It depends on what you are looking for.
If you give us an example, we will be glad to assist.
For general surfing, most of us go to "new posts", opening a subsequent window, and choosing, "get all new posts".
This will show you all new posts since your last visit, unless you were logged in less than an hour before, in which case you will see all new posts since 2 visits.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Right above this message there is a blue column starting with "user CP". Follow across to the word "search". Click on. Type into the box a search word you are interested in. You will pull up various treads that contain that word. Your search might not be applicable if the word you used is too generic and you will need to go about it another way.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks Rocky. The new posts I'm OK with. But let's take this example: I posted a question about the bus route from RSJ to Samana. I know that there have been previous posts on this subject. How would I best go about getting to them using the 'Search' feature?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Type into the box a search word you are interested in. You will pull up various treads that contain that word. Your search might not be applicable if the word you used is too generic and you will need to go about it another way.

Yes. That's been the problem, 'too generic'. Is there some way to more effectively limit the search to avoid pulling up a long list of threads that are not applicable? Any hints would be most grateful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Especially for something like travel info, you should limit the time-scale because anything over 6m-1yr old will be out of date. You can also specify if you want to search titles only, or within a specific forum.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky. The new posts I'm OK with. But let's take this example: I posted a question about the bus route from RSJ to Samana. I know that there have been previous posts on this subject. How would I best go about getting to them using the 'Search' feature?
Search, Advanced search, Key Words - "bus rio san juan", show results as "posts" and you will find that the search produces only your thread, in relative topic.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Ron--sorry I answered in the "simple" form thinking you didn't know how to search. Need to review my reading comp 101 and pay attention to the word "effectivly" in your OP. :>
Actually I learned from this tread. Thanks all.
john

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
No problem Johne. I'm hoping that a lot more of us learned as much as I have. Hopefully, it will save the DR1 pros a lot of time answering questions that have already been answered.