Do platanos make you fat?

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Are platanos okay to eat if somebody wants to lose weight? What about yuca? I heard yuca is very bad for you and its even worse for people with diabetes. Is it okay to eat mangos, pineapple, bananas, and watermelon?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Check your head, and if it is as fat as the finger in the picture, then lay off the platanos....

4tjgeiq.jpg

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
fried platano...........

i was eating fried platano and fried chicken for about 5 days in a row and thought i was going to "blow out".but was quite surprised when i dident.
i thought? platanos were/are a carbohydrate just like potato etc.
i dident put on eight eating them but maybe someone else knows different?

the rest of the food you mention are all fruits arent they?
so i dont think you would have any probs there.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Problem Is.......................

When a Dominican eats a "Platano", it is usually fried,with fried salami on the side! Orr..."Mangu",mashed with lots of butter,with a fried egg on top! It's like eating a potato,the potato is great,about 100 calories,but the butter,or gravy is what does you in!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Pineapple, mango, watermelon are high in sugar which is a carbohydrate and bananas are high in starch another carbohydrate. The weight loss diet that my doctor put me on did not allow these 4 foods.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Just eat in moderation and you should be fine - - - - -By the way, eat all you want, wait 1 hour and then try some Ex-Lax.... That should do it.

:eek:gre:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had a "pl?tano makes you stupid" comment from a nice gentleman yesterday who complimented me on my son's intelligence (some might say 'brattish precocity'). He asked me "what do you give him for breakfast?" I said (mischievously) "mang?!" and he said, in all seriousness, that I shouldn't, because... Pl?tanos Make You Stupid.:rolleyes:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Plantains are a good food is taken in moderation. (Something that I tend to forget!)
There are trace amounts of iron, good fiber, and vitamins. As a cousin of the Banana, it ranks up there in nutritional values.
Problem with the DR. diet is, as CCCCCCCCCCC, has so eloquently said, all the frying.
If you notice Dominicans eating a normal meal, they will only take one or two
"fritos verdes" to go with the rest of the meal. Gringos eat them like fried potatoes, and therein is the problem.
Try this: Boiled green plantains, hard boiled eggs and avocado for breakfast.
Just with salt. No oil!!

HB, plantain fan....................

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
OK, for starters, the brute?na in plantain is an urban myth. However, a plantain is nutritionally most valuable if eaten ripened on the tree, something most Dominicans shy away from, since they love their plantains green, and fried to boot.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Any food in moderation is good.

Plantains are a good source of fibers and have zero fat. It is rich in carbohydrates and other nutrients.

Cassava (yuca) is rich in carbohydrates, but if you are not a diabetic (then you do as your doctor say) it can also be part of your diet consumed in moderation.

You can read this: Eating well with diabetes - The Dominican diet - Dominican Cooking
And this: The truth about the much-maligned plantain - Dominican Cooking

Are you sure about the fibers? I have heard that plantain and bananas constipate, so says my wife.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
What a bunch of ninnies you all are! If it weren't for the strict diet of platanos and yucca in my early childhood, I wouldn't be the intellectual giant I am today!
Platanos make you smart, healthy and happy! ........More platanos, please!...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What a bunch of ninnies you all are! If it weren't for the strict diet of platanos and yucca in my early childhood, I wouldn't be the intellectual giant I am today!
Platanos make you smart, healthy and happy! ........More platanos, please!...

Ninnies? (I had to look that one up: n. pl. nin?nies
A fool; a simpleton. ...;-)

In my book, (If I ever get to write it ...;-), I will surely stress that platanos and yucca are much more nutritional than the white rice most Dominicans stuff themselves with.

Jan 5, 2006
The answer depends on may factors. Is it a green or ripened platano? How is it cooked? (boiled or fried)

The nutritional value of a food product can vary according to how it is cooked, as temperature changes the molecular alignment of certain carbohydrates, which has an effect on the rate at which they are absorbed into the human bloodstream. Platanos happen to be a food that can be either good or bad. Yuca on the other hand can only be classified as bad or worse.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Mangos, while delicious, are VERY fattening as they have a high fat content.
As do avocados, however a small amount of avocado provides a healthy essential fat.
Imagine our surprise since we weren't aware of this the first year we were in the DR for the start of mango season! I never knew you could gain 20 lbs in two weeks!!!!! :) :)
Now I do know;)!

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Ok, there is a chemical in green plantnos that retards the brain function proven fact. Ask any Cuban research doctor. However, when the plantain is ripe it loses this chemical. Just like yucca under cooked yucca or raw yucca will give you a belly ache.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
In the final analysis, it is not what we eat but what we don't eat that is the issue. We are an omnivorous species, which mean that our organism needs something from everything for healthy functioning. In the etiology of most diseases, nutritional deficiencies play a very important part. There are micronutrients and trace elements necessary for good health that are found only in animal sources, others in vegetable sources, and still others in mineral sources.

By the way, we are also a predatory species, but you all know that...;-)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry for going off topic

<TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0 nowrap><TBODY><TR><TD><TT>
We are an omnivorous species,
I beg to differ.

(Excerpts from How humans are not physically created to eat meat )

Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment ­ teeth, jaws, and digestive system ­ favors a fleshless diet. The American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets.

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater </TT>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><O:p</O:p</O:p</O:p</O:p</O:p