"CAFTADR improves market access for information technology
goods and service providers. All exports of products
covered by the Information Technology Agreement,
including ...computer equipment and communications equipment, will receive
duty-free treatment immediately upon implementation
of the CAFTA-DR agreement."

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
it is more a maybe. keep in mind that the tax free treatment only applies to the products manufactured by the Cafta members (rule of origin) regardless of the brand. I doubt you will find a PC being built in the US. The origin is most likely from asia (taiwan, south korea, china, japan, .....).

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
also, you'd probably still have to pay the Value Added Tax (ITBIS) at what ever rate it now applies to computers..

G

gary short

So...does that include a crappy old laptop in your carryon pack that they may or may not rifle through????????????

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
gary, you got it. But, please, make it a brand new Mac laptop.

I have so far brought 5 laptops to DR, TAXFREE! of course, before Cafta...

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I don't know what the reality at Customs is but this concept that the whole product has to be made & assembled in a DR-Cafta member country seems ridiculous in the global world economy we live in.

The PDF list released by Aduana has a whole electronics section for example. It lists "TVs color and b&W". I am 99% certain there is not a TV-set on this planet containing only parts originating in a DR-Cafta country. Same thing for many other products, Made-in-Mexico washing-machine.... I bet we can disassemble it and find some piece in the motor thats from outside DR-Cafta.

Taking this thought to philosophic levels even the Rice grown in DR could be tainted as non-DR product if someone were to show evidence the seeds came from China and fertilizer was brought in from Chile.

My assumption at this point is that Aduana will only check whatever the type of product is on the DR-Cafta list and if it's shipping port of origin is from another DR-Cafta state. Otherwise the list is useless and Aduana should send their copy back to the Whitehouse to be used as toilet paper.