Need to Buy a Car

Sugarspice

Sep 28, 2006
Hello! everyone.

My husband and I will be arriving in Santo Domingo in August and we will need a good vehicle. Can anyone recommend a couple of good models and the best car dealers? Much appreciated.:squareeye

Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where will you be living?

South shore?> No clue

North shore? You have a plethora of pretty good dealerships available in Moca and Santiago.

what model? Anything made by Toyota or Mitsubishi is gonna be a popular answer for you. Your livestyle will also be important in the decision making process: If you are going to get out and about you will want a diesel powered 4 x 4....Toyota, Mitsubishi, Izuzu, are the leaders, but there are Dodge Rams, Ford 150s, 250s, Chevy Silverados with 4 x 4 and diesel engines.

If you are just going shopping, a small Toyota or Mazda with gasoline engine will be sufficient. Nissan is making a nice tiny vehicle that is getting very popular. So is Peugot.

Also what is your budget?

HB

Sugarspice

Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for the wonderful information.

We will be living in the capital in a new development off Ave. of the Americas. We are hoping to find a vehicle in the price range of $13,000-$18,000 (US). Anyone know a good dealer in the area?:cheeky:

Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa! That is far away. Perhaps the local SDQ folks can guide you. All of the major importers are located in Santo Domingo (except Antonio Ochoa), so you should find something. I always recommend looking in the classifieds of the List?n Diario to see what prices are like before you go exploring.
And read here on DR1 about buying cars. There are some interesting articles, like how most used car dealers set back the odometers as a general practice. About how to use Carfax to check on a car's history. Stuff like that.
For $18,000 you can get a new Honda Fit, a Nissan March, or a Peugot 206 and have plenty left over. Or you could get a fairly new Toyota SUV, Mitsubishi SUV (diesel, of course)....but you will have to dedicate time to the project.

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Do some window shopping and practic pushups

Take Ave. Romulo Betancourt West off Winston Churchill (parallel between 27 de Febrero & Ave. Sarasota) and spend a day or two doing some "window shopping"... You will find about 30+ used car dealers all the way going to Ave. Luperon... ending with DELTA the "official" Toyota Dealership. Toyota's warranty tops most in the country with a 3 year 80'000km warranty.

As to the car buying experience thread mentioned. I got some mail relative to that thread where writers seem to feel sorry for all I had to go thru. Don't let that turn you off. I did not find it a bad or overly complicated experience.

... J-D.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If You Want Dealers With a "Service" Dept. Try These:

Santo Domingo Motors,at the corner of John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Lincoln,Santo Domingo. They handle "GM" vehicles, Nissan and some othjers. Both new and used.
"Viamar,
is the local "FORD" dealer. They have the Ford "SUVs" which are also popular here. They are at the corner of JFK and Maximo Gomez.
Toyota Corrola,and Camreys have lots of "Parts" available,and both parts and sevice is cheap. The Mitsubishi Montero is the most popular "SUV". "Hondas" are great cars,but in the DR they do cost more for price,parts,and service.
Ask again when you get here.
Cris Colon

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the wonderful information.

We will be living in the capital in a new development off Ave. of the Americas. We are hoping to find a vehicle in the price range of $13,000-$18,000 (US). Anyone know a good dealer in the area?:cheeky:

Thanks.
You can get a decent vehicle in that price range.
It may not be as nice or as new as you would like to get for that expenditure, but at least you are in the right ballpark.
I don't know the dealers in that part of the country to recommend one over another.
For used vehicles, it's imperative the dealer have a squeaky clean rep, something that is hard to find in any world.
If you can convince the dealership to allow you to have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic who you are positive is not only good, but not in the dealer's pocket, you will greatly improve your chances of getting a decent deal.
Expect to pay 20% to 40% retail Kelly Blue Book value.
New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site