DR attitude toward US / Bush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
In the toothpaste thread, Mirador said:

Playacaribe2:

That's exactly what two young and shy Mormon missionaries said to me, yesterday afternoon, when they visited my home, and after about half and hour of trying to pry an (any) opinion from them about the DR, I gave them a piece of my mind, and told them what I thought of their president, and how he was a menace to world peace.

Very respectfully,
Mirador

Te acuerdo! And thank you for saying that to the missionaries and on this site!
Does the DR news (or Telemundo) tout Bush as some sort of hero? I know several dominicans who can?t understand when I explain the above concept. But then maybe it?s my bad spanish . . . I can only think it?s american propaganda that leads them to think our involvement in the war is something good. Or is it like america where some are supportive, others merely tolerate, and some actively protest? Do dominicans care about the war or US involvement in it, or is it just the ones I know?

Any thoughts?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Does the DR news (or Telemundo) tout Bush as some sort of hero? I know several dominicans who can?t understand when I explain the above concept. But then maybe it?s my bad spanish . . . I can only think it?s american propaganda that leads them to think our involvement in the war is something good. Or is it like america where some are supportive, others merely tolerate, and some actively protest? Do dominicans care about the war or US involvement in it, or is it just the ones I know?

Any thoughts?
Bush is not "popular" among Dominicans who actually care what occurs in the US and, consequently, the US attitude towards Latin America, specifically the DR.

Bush has abandoned Latin America to a degree that the US has been getting a sour image all over the region. The DR is one of the few places where the US is still seen on a cautiously optimistic light and the only reason is because many Dominicans differentiate their opinions of the US vs. the US government. Usually, the negative opinions of the US in reality are of the US government whereas the positive opinions of the US almost always are of the US the people, the country.

Even the most anti-American among Dominicans has great admiration and respect fo the people of the United States and the country they have created. The anti-American feelings are exclusively a political issue, nothing more and nothing less.

Keep in mind that of all the Dominicans, the members of the upper classes tend to be much more concerned and in tune with what occurs in the US, its politics, and foreign policy (bilateral agreements, trade, diplomacy, war in Iraq, etc).

The further down the socio-economic latter a Dominican finds him/herself, the less interest they will have on US politics and issues.

So, if you want an opinion of what Dominicans think of the US the country or the politics of such, you better ask those who are concerned and keep a close eye on what occurs in the US and not those whose only opinion of the US is that its home to New York and thus, all is good.
-----------------------------------------------------
As a Dominican, I am highly selective on my opinion on Bush. He has done many things that are good or have affected me in a positive way (tax cuts, etc) and other things his administration has mismanaged in the worst way possible (the war in Iraq, the Katrina disaster, the political turmoil which has lead to many prominent members of his administration to resign, etc).

My views on the US as a country and of its people has always been, continues to be, and most likely will be a positive one. Its an awesome country with wonderful people, if a little ignorant of what occurs outside of their borders, but all in all the country has very little that I find faults in.

The politics, well that's a different story.

-NALs

C

Chip00

Any thoughts?

FYI most press in the US or elsewhere in the world have an Anti-Bush perspective/agenda and it is no different here in the DR.

(edited - Mod)

FYI this forum is about the Dominican Republic not the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
NALS,
Thanks for your response - thorough. I have heard similar opinions expressed by ?more educated? dominicans. America is land of opportunities, inventions, etc. However, No one seem to consider the cost of that. . . until they move here. Now I have one friend who recently migrated to Miami and is finding it difficult to get full'time work. He says he may have to go back home (RD) in the next few months if things don?t get better. Granted, he doesn?t appear to be learning English at all - may have something to do with his job prospects. ?Quien sabe?

I?m still wondering, though, is there some sort of pro-Bush propoganda being played on your local news?

vegasdiva

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For those who may not know. The DR was one of the first countries to pull there troops out of Iraq completely. The war in Iraq was never popular in the DR.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Do dominicans care about the war or US involvement in it, or is it just the ones I know?
Any thoughts?

If this thread turns into either US bashing, or US defense, it will be closed pronto. I have zero tolerance for all the old debates. Now, if you know if Dominicans care about the war or the US involvement in it, or can give a coherent explanation of what Dominicans think, feel free to answer.

Btw, for all of those that consider this 'anti-american', I don't care, so please stop wasting your time with pm's. The same would go for France, for Germany, for 'fill-in-the-blank-country'.

Last edited:

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
The Iraq war and many other aspects of Bush's administration are not popular in the DR and latin America, neither with the masses nor with the press.

(edited - mod)

One reason I can imagine why they don't support such wars is because they can subconsciously identify themselves with any attacked nation. The US is the world's only super-power, everyone else is smaller & poorer and stands no chance against the US. For some latins Chavez is the secret hero in a way, not because his policy rocks, but simply because he is a underdog like themselves who dares to put gasoline in the fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I?m still wondering, though, is there some sort of pro-Bush propoganda being played on your local news?

vegasdiva

You know, come to think of it, I've never seen either pro or anti clearly stated on tv (not that I watch a lot). But Dominicans do admire the US and they do see it as the place where their dreams can come true. A while ago I worked with a 30'ish woman, educated and with good experience in her field. She had no problems with visas and had family in the US willing to sponsor her. She stayed in the DR by choice. Then, a job opportunity came up in the US and on talking about it, she said that she cannot afford to *not* go to the US, even though she expected that she will be quite miserable in terms of quality of life.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The Iraq war and many other aspects of Bush's administration are not popular in the DR and latin America, neither with the masses nor with the press.

(edited - mod)

One reason I can imagine why they don't support such wars is because they can subconsciously identify themselves with any attacked nation. The US is the world's only super-power, everyone else is smaller & poorer and stands no chance against the US. For some latins Chavez is the secret hero in a way, not because his policy rocks, but simply because he is a underdog like themselves who dares to put gasoline in the fire.

"his policy rocks"---Moderator I guess this statement is in accordance to your guidelines of "US bashing"

Bull turd!!

JOHN E>

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Don't really care if you delete my previous posting--but lets play on a level field.
je

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
johne - you didn't notice the word "not" - changes the entire meaning of the statement.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

(edited - mod)

Maybe we have a problem with grammar here. Chris says "no US bashing" OK I agree. He/she says "not because his policy rocks" which means nothing other than he has a great policy BUT not because of THAT he is loved simply because "he is an underdog bla, bla."
Well, this is parsing and making a statement through the backdoor. Which BTW has nothing to do with the DR, IS in a way bashing to those that dont agree with his policies and annoying to grumpy old men like me that dont like to be molested at 7PM on a Sunday nite.
BTW-how you been?(Chiri)
john

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Maybe you have a problem with reading comprehension Johne because I, like Chiri, interpreted in a different way. Or maybe we two do and you don't. Go figure.

My experience:
Dominicans are very cynical when it comes to US policy and its motives. I have never seen anti-American 'propaganda' anywhere, except for a few 'Yankees go home' graffiti twenty years ago (and they were home by then). I think Dominicans, specially the poorer ones, see the US with sympathy.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
What I meant to say with "...not because his policy rocks..." was that a number of Dominicans may like Chavez for his boldness towards the US Administration, but they certainly don't think his policy is great. Implying that nobody other then Chavez himself thinks his policy rocks, not even the majority of his own countrymen.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What I meant to say with "...not because his policy rocks..." was that a number of Dominicans may like Chavez for his boldness towards the US Administration, but they certainly don't think his policy is great. Implying that nobody other then Chavez himself thinks his policy rocks, not even the majority of his own countrymen.

This clears it up for me. Now I understand your point.
Thanks
JOHN

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks for that clarification PlantaFULL, not that it was needed for most careful readers.

Again, keep to the narrow focus of this thread, i.e., the Dominican perspective. Maybe we will learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.