Moving to Santo Domingo In August 07

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
My wife and I are moving to Santo Domingo in August can anyone give us tips on the following:

1) Information regarding the International Womens Club including contact information.

2) What is the best route in renting a house or apartment

3) Where can you take a 1 year old to play? It doesn't seem like there are any green areas.

4) Is there an organic market?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My wife and I are moving to Santo Domingo in August can anyone give us tips on the following:

1) Information regarding the International Womens Club including contact information.

2) What is the best route in renting a house or apartment

3) Where can you take a 1 year old to play? It doesn't seem like there are any green areas.

4) Is there an organic market?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!
I would say that judging by questions 3 and 4 you would like the Bella Vista/Mirador Sur/Los Cacigazcos area. Parque Mirador Sur is one of the only green areas in the city, and there is an organic 'market' in the neighbourhood. It's not a market as such, but a small shop that takes your order every Tuesday or Wednesday and you pick it up/they deliver your order on Fridays. There is a more conventional farmers' market down on the Malec?n - La Feria Ganadera - not too far from the area I mention.

There are not that many places for taking a one-year old to play - when my son was that age I used to take him to a music class (at a place called Crescendo) and to a kids' gym, and apart from the park you have enclosed kids' play areas in shopping malls, the aquarium and the botanical gardens. There is also a zoo, but it's definitely seen better days.

How you go about finding a place to live depends on several factors - ideally you should start off staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks and look round with someone who knows the place - if you have local contacts - or use the services of an agency, and find a house or apartment that way. I wouldn't recommend doing this long distance over the net - you really need to see the place and the area for yourself before you decide. Driving or walking around the areas you like is very fruitful as lots of places have for rent signs. Some apartment blocks have children's play areas, green areas and swimming pools, but many don't.

DR1's Living section lists the e-mail address for the International Women's Club as IWCsantodomingo@yahoo.com. They should also be contactable via your home country's embassy.

L

LarrySpencer

Places for taking a 1-year old to play? You can go to the Aquarium There is a large green area behind it where children can run around a little bit, fly kites, etc.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
welcome, start off by staying at the Dominican Fiesta Hotel, it is right in the neighborhood you want to live in, gacigazcos. right next door is mirador sur and mirador norte. there are lots of local newspapers, classified ads, look for those neighborhoods, pay a taxi driver for a couple of hours, call the ads, go look, have money. join the health club/swimming pool at the Dom Fiesta hotel, it is hot in SD and the ability to walk to a nice pool everyday is priceless in a hot city. the beach is at least half an hour away, my son started to swim there at 9 months, nice big pool, tennis, small soccer field, kid's jungle gym, weight room......quiet,,......nice supermarkets nearby, this location is very convenient to the rest of the city..............you will need a small car to have a semblance of a normal life, bring money. as far as organics, chemicals to spray on crops are expensive, farmers are poor, it is a matter of what grows well in this country and not so much on chemical agriculture, eat what looks and smells good..............................

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES! It is so appreciated. Any other advice would be appreciated.

How have you been able to meet other English speaking people in Santo Domingo?

How long did it take you to get accustomed if ever?

Any other advice before the move?

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How have you been able to meet other English speaking people in Santo Domingo?
Depends on your work/lifestyle. I work in a sector with a high proportion of foreigners - international development. Depending on your nationality, your embassy might have social/cultural functions where you can meet your compatriots. Organisations like the International Womens Association. The Santo Domingo Little Theatre. The Helen Kellogg Library. Religious/professional groups you may belong to. Once your child is in nursery, there are 'bilingual' options and you may meet other English-speaking parents. There used to be an expat mother and baby/toddler group.
It's advisable to have a balance of English-speaking and non-English speaking friends otherwise your Spanish will never improve, and you will end up living in an expat bubble and missing out on much of what the country has to offer.

How long did it take you to get accustomed if ever?
I went through the classic stages of culture shock, and I probably came to terms with the place after about two years - and I'm here for the long haul.

Any other advice before the move?
Read up as much as possible on DR1 - the Living forums as well as the main Living section on the main site.
If you don't have any Spanish, try and do some preparations.
Try and work out, based on information on this site, what you absolutely need to bring with you, and what you can easily get here. I think the "sticky" posts in the Living forum have that sort of information.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would recommend looking into the Anacaona apartments in Mirador Sur since you have a young child. There are three different associations I guess you could say Anacaona I, II or III.

I realize I am probably a bit biased since I lived there for 7 years but I would suggest Anacaona II. I think its pool, tennis court and general landscaping to be the nicest of the three. Right across from the park and very close to shopping, including the organic produce supplier Chiri has already mentioned.

I would suggest though that you try to get an apartment that is not facing Anacaona as it can be quite loud. No generators are allowed in the complex so if no power not much option but to open windows to the breeze and noise.

It is nice not to have generators working away disturbing your rest. Everyone has battery inversors and if you get a third floor apartment there is almost always a nice breeze. We very very rarely used our AC units. Windows open (with screens on) and ceiling fans were enough to keep our third floor apartment cool.

As an extra special bonus to this area you can go on afternoon walks with Chiri. She and her family are very special people and I miss our walks since we've left the island.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Expatsooner and Joseito - the feelings are mutual! :)

To the OP - the power does not go out very often in this part of town, so an inverter is more than enough. We're on the second floor and don't use a/c at all - it's cool and breezy enough for fans to suffice, especially at night.

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
If anyone is out there.... a couple of other questions....

Anyone have any information on Christian churches with services in English?
What hospitals would you recommend?

Thanks again!

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
OK, this is asking much... anywhere for really good Mexican food? We lived in California for a while and have since lived in FL... we can't even find it here... :)

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
Chiri - Are you from the USA? What type of development work? I was in the Peace Corps in the DR 95 to 97...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anyone have any information on Christian churches with services in English?
Any particular denomination? The Anglican church on Ave. Independencia in Gazcue has some services in English, apparently.

What hospitals would you recommend?
Depends on who your employer's insurance is, and what they recommend. "Hospital" here means state hospital, and everyone who can afford it/has insurance goes to "Clinicas Privadas".

OK, this is asking much... anywhere for really good Mexican food? We lived in California for a while and have since lived in FL... we can't even find it here... :)
There are a few places that have been mentioned in the forums in the past, try searching.

Chiri - Are you from the USA? What type of development work? I was in the Peace Corps in the DR 95 to 97...
Not from the US, no. I work for a number of international and national organisations, mainly in the communications and fundraising fields, and do translations on a freelance basis. I first visited the DR in 1996 and met a few PC vols through a couple of friends, but don't remember any names or faces.:ermm:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

Check out Agave on Lope de Vega, north of Supermercado Nacional for Mexican food. My family likes the food there. But they are also into Taco Rey on Sarasota almost corner Winston Churchill, but that's more like Tex Mex.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THERE iS nO "good" mEXICAN Restaurants iN tHE dr!!!

Unless you make it at home!!! Supermercado National has everything you will need!
Dominicans can't make Mexican food! They don't know what it is! They don't even use "Black Pepper" here,it is too "Hot" for them!They don't give you any sour cream,because it is imported and costs too much! Their so-called "Salsa" is more like spagetti Sauce! They can't make "Guacamole"!,even though they have lots of avocados. The "Hass" is a better avocado,but they don't have those here,"YET!" I plan to bring down some "Seeds" in July! So "Fill up" before you come!
Lots of good "Chinesse" food here! The "Sushi" is worse than the Mexican food! Good Italian here! Seafood is hard to find that doesn't smell like a litter box! I know,an Island with lousy sea food! Best is red snapper cooked in oil by Haitians at the beach! Lobster and shrimp are really bad! If you like "Steaks on the Bar Bee",eat some before you come!!
Cris Colon

C

Chip00

CC is almost right ... buying the stuff in El Nacional is the ticket(especially if you can get the fajita sauce) HOWEVER, if you are ever in Santiago there is a Mexican restaurant worth visiting right off La Metropolitana. As a conniseur of real authentic food in Orlando(no damn gringos allowed) I can tell you they do a good job with the chips and salsa from the beginning to guacamole and sour cream. BTW, I would never eat Mexican food in a restaurant where the English is intelligible. :)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Mexican: "Spicys" on Churchil next to the PizzaPala is quite decent.

Chinese: Tried Bella Cristal, Chino Mariscos, JadeEx, all very simplified and tasteles asian cousine here IMO. For DIY asian cooks theres Asiatico on Feberero with Privada.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Don't know if still there but

Mexican: "Spicys" on Churchil next to the PizzaPala is quite decent.

Chinese: Tried Bella Cristal, Chino Mariscos, JadeEx, all very simplified and tasteles asian cousine here IMO. For DIY asian cooks theres Asiatico on Feberero with Privada.

Was one that was great off Churchhill in Plaza Darado street runs behind (north) plaza central, think its about 2 blocks in back. Owner is Mexican.