Armed Robbery At Riu Resort

Jan 5, 2006
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

This is a new low. Not even the AIs are safe anymore! 5 hooded and heavily armed men rob Hotel Riu Mambo in Maimom.

I can't even begin to think what this will do to tourism in DR once the travel agents get hold of this news. :(

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

This is a new low. Not even the AIs are safe anymore! 5 hooded and heavily armed men rob Hotel Riu Mambo in Maimom.

I can't even begin to think what this will do to tourism in DR once the travel agents get hold of this news. :(

Any 101 criminology student or amateur forensic expert like myself ...;-) can deduce from the news at hand, that the owner of the resort has personal and/or business issues with local authorities (probably police). It is evident that the intention was not to hold up the place, but to cause a commotion as a vailed threat to the owner or manager, which in this case is Ms. Elena Calvo, and she's not talking....

C

Chip00

Is this a real AI? I ask because it says it is in Maimon.

BTW what the heck were the security guys doing? And why only two? This doesn't sound like an AI. Maybe these guys were in on it as the article says they are being investigated. This security guys need to be locked and loaded at all times, otherwise you might as well put up a sign that "Enter and rob us please".

How long will it take Leonel to recognize that he can't leave the north coast para joderse much longer?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Chip...yes, it's a real AI...la bahia de Maim?n has some of the best fish I've tasted in DR...

So sad...but I don't think this is something to be worried about...according to the article, this seems to be something to do personally with Mrs. Calvo...maybe a disgruntled employee??? Or maybe a guest???

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Is this a real AI? I ask because it says it is in Maimon.

BTW what the heck were the security guys doing? And why only two? This doesn't sound like an AI. Maybe these guys were in on it as the article says they are being investigated. This security guys need to be locked and loaded at all times, otherwise you might as well put up a sign that "Enter and rob us please".

How long will it take Leonel to recognize that he can't leave the north coast para joderse much longer?

You know that practically all private security firms are owned by high ranking military officers (active or retired). For example, the security at my next door Bella Vista Mall is headed by a Colonel. The situation at the Riu Maim?n could have been caused by Ms Calvo not refusing to hire security personnel recommended by the local police commander or another high ranking military commander in the region. Ms. Calvo is new in the DR, she still does not know the ropes. I can assure you that the entire Riu hotel security detachment will be fired, and Ms. Calvo's days in the DR are counted. She has shown incompetence.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Riu Bachata, Merengue & Mambu are PROPER AI hotels Chip. BIG & impressive places off the main Puerto Plata - Imbert road.

What amazes me is that the Security Gate is some 300 yards or more from the Rio Mambu & not the first hotel entrance one would get to on that complex!! BIG open reception area too which is visible from many other buildings in the vicinity (or am I getting mixed up with Bachata?). It is also a bit questionable from the 'eye witness reports' as to which direction the robbers took off in, by dirt (off-road) bike or the white car??

No mention in Hoy about the Germans robbed either? More is to come for sure but as suggested by the OP ....... BAD news for the tourism business if allowed to be reported!! Surely no one would try to cover this incident up though - there is sufficient verification of all this terrible news! ~ Grahame.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Another tidbit. The 5 member commando unit all dressed in black with face mask, carrying handheld two-way radios, after neutralizing and tying up the members of the hotel security personnel, had the entire animation and entertainment team strip naked. Wonder why?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
So sad...but I don't think this is something to be worried about...according to the article, this seems to be something to do personally with Mrs. Calvo...maybe a disgruntled employee??? Or maybe a guest???
You JEST of course Musicqueen???? 5 people get passed a security gate guard WITH arms, go to a large AI hotel & brandish those weapons in view of & AT guests, they then make a getaway (front or rear unsure) without being challenged ........ & that is "not something to be worried about"??? I would be worried about the hotel security as a MINIMUM!! As we have all seen in other armed robberies throughout the world, things can go wrong in the best planned hold-ups & gun fire can happen unintentionally & then innocent bystanders can (& do) get hurt! How is that " not something to be worried about"?

If ONE lot can do it so easily in such a large hotel chain AND get away unchallenged - won't others think they can do the same thing & perhaps make their attempt at a much busier time thereby increasing the risk of firearms going off? ~ Grahame.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Those travel agents probably will treat this in the same manner they have treated the following occurences:

Interesting, if a bit scary for some.

More "scary" stuff.

One of the most popular destinations in the world ---- dangerous!

Based on those few samples and on the assumption that travel agents are not discouraging anyone from traveling to those destinations (and I'm sure there are other places with similar issues as was the case with the British couple who were robbed at gun point in St. Lucia while they were in their hotel or the incident concerning two American tourists in Grenada also robbed at gunpoint), then its safe to assume that nothing crippling will occur towards the Dominican tourism industry from the part of travel agents.

-NALs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
These clowns need to be striped naked and paraded around the city! then shot!

This is a crime against the entire DR. My pure guess is either what Mirador suggested or disgruntled employees...

HB

C

Chip00

You know that practically all private security firms are owned by high ranking military officers (active or retired). For example, the security at my next door Bella Vista Mall is headed by a Colonel. The situation at the Riu Maim?n could have been caused by Ms Calvo not refusing to hire security personnel recommended by the local police commander or another high ranking military commander in the region. Ms. Calvo is new in the DR, she still does not know the ropes. I can assure you that the entire Riu hotel security detachment will be fired, and Ms. Calvo's days in the DR are counted. She has shown incompetence.

Well to me this implies that there is a serious mafia problem on the north coast. I guess what you're saying is that if anybody wants to do a resort business on the North coast then they have to accept this and pay the piper.

Can any other different types of business owners verify this "strong arm" tatic?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
oh ! So those things also happens away from Las Terrenas !!!

;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Well to me this implies that there is a serious mafia problem on the north coast. I guess what you're saying is that if anybody wants to do a resort business on the North coast then they have to accept this and pay the piper.

Can any other different types of business owners verify this "strong arm" tatic?

That's the way it works in the entire country! Whatever the cause, it could have been something as simple as Ms Calvo denying a free weekend pass for the comandante and his girlfriend.

Jan 5, 2006
My guess is that this has to do with disgruntled ex-employees, but whatever the reason turns out to be, it is something to worry about. As Bushbaby previously pointed out, this can only serve to encourage other criminals who previously would not contemplate such an act, to now believe that they can duplicate this.

This may not have a terrible effect on tourism, but it certainly won't help. Travel agents make their money on commission, and DR business is not that profitable to them as it is. This can only give them another excuse to steer their clients to more expensive and profitable locations, just because of safety concerns. Remember, this is the same group of people that tells tourists not the leave the AIs, because "it's not safe". Imagine what they'll tell those potential tourists now.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Two things, we should see the director of tourismo second blod this country to death until there are changes. How much money is pumped into this country from the outside. If they do not want us " LET THEM EAT CAKE "

C

Chip00

My guess is that this has to do with disgruntled ex-employees, but whatever the reason turns out to be, it is something to worry about. As Bushbaby previously pointed out, this can only serve to encourage other criminals who previously would not contemplate such an act, to now believe that they can duplicate this.

This may not have a terrible effect on tourism, but it certainly won't help. Travel agents make their money on commission, and DR business is not that profitable to them as it is. This can only give them another excuse to steer their clients to more expensive and profitable locations, just because of safety concerns. Remember, this is the same group of people that tells tourists not the leave the AIs, because "it's not safe". Imagine what they'll tell those potential tourists now.

Well said.

Hey bozasos in the capital, estan escuchando????

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

This may not have a terrible effect on tourism,....

Again, according to my informants in PP, this had nothing to do with disgruntled ex-employees. It was not a robbery, nobody got hurt, and the sole purpose was to intimidate or get back at Ms. Calvo. This incident will not "serve to encourage other criminals" as you state. No tourist were hurt, and probably most didn't even notice what went on, considering the early morning hours hours (6:00 am). The hotel will now most probably be even more secure than ever before, once Ms. Calvo is transferred.

C

Chip00

Again, according to my informants in PP, this had nothing to do with disgruntled ex-employees. It was not a robbery, nobody got hurt, and the sole purpose was to intimidate or get back at Ms. Calvo. This incident will not "serve to encourage other criminals" as you state. No tourist were hurt, and probably most didn't even notice what went on, considering the early morning hours hours (6:00 am). The hotel will now most probably be even more secure than ever before, once Ms. Calvo is transferred.

I hear you Mirador but the Hoy report says the theives attacked two animators and hit them. Also, it says they were threatening people in the main business lobby, presumibly patrons.

If this numnut idiots think by doing this they will have the last hand by getting the security contract by such vile methods what will these dumba$$es do when the gringos abandon the resorts for fear of safety?

I can see them now lamenting their loss of "good fortune". Can you say dumber that a dooknob and don't bite the hand that feeds you!!!!! If I weren't Catholic I'd say line them all up and shoot them, but I am so I can't. :)