Medical Translation needed!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Had I known I'd need these translated (OHIP no longer does this- another service our 'Universal" health care system no longer offers), I would have had it done before I left.

At 0.40 a word I'm trying to do all I can before paying someone to finish it as our health insurance plan wants a 'certified' translation of all invoices over $1000. CAN. so I'm trying to get all the under 1000. done to submit with a notarized statement saying I've done them to the best of my ability.

Unfortunately while I know what most of them are or refer to, I don't know the medical terms in English so if you can help I'd appreciate it. (Gosh I thought my Spanish got a workout while we were there and I had to understand all this but now having to actually put it in English my mind is refusing to co-operate!!!:eek:)

I'll list them as I go on a daily basis.

Todays words:

Bilirrubina - ?? = _________

Gota gruesa - ( means size of blood drops-clotting factor) ? = _______

Hemograma - (hemoglobulin??) =_____________

Hemocultivo - (blood culture??) =________________

pma22222

Jun 27, 2006
Had I known I'd need these translated (OHIP no longer does this- another service our 'Universal" health care system no longer offers), I would have had it done before I left.

At 0.40 a word I'm trying to do all I can before paying someone to finish it as our health insurance plan wants a 'certified' translation of all invoices over $1000. CAN. so I'm trying to get all the under 1000. done to submit with a notarized statement saying I've done them to the best of my ability.

Unfortunately while I know what most of them are or refer to, I don't know the medical terms in English so if you can help I'd appreciate it. (Gosh I thought my Spanish got a workout while we were there and I had to understand all this but now having to actually put it in English my mind is refusing to co-operate!!!:eek:)

I'll list them as I go on a daily basis.

Todays words:

Bilirrubina - ?? = _________

Gota gruesa - ( means size of blood drops-clotting factor) ? = _______

Hemograma - (hemoglobulin??) =_____________

Hemocultivo - (blood culture??) =________________

Bilirubina = Bilirubin

Gota gruesa = I believe has to do with test for malaria

Hemograma = tests for white/red blood cells

Hemocultivo= an exam looking for infection in blood

sorry my expertise is not medicine but that might help

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I hear ya on OHIP

Momma I think you can google to get the exact translations that would be
acceptable' for them . Good luck.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
LDH - (it's a blood test and the results were normal which is all I cared about at the time!!)??? =____________________
Eritrosedimentacion - (sedimentation rate) Confirmation please!!
Coprologico - (haven't a clue but it was normal also :), could it be corpusules)???=_____________

For reference in case you ever need to know:

Sangre oculta is occult blood
Potasio en suero is blood potassium
Sodio is sodium
Plaquetas are platelets
Prueba de Dengue is test for Dengue virus
Examen de orina is urine analysis
glicemia is blood sugar
jeringuillas are syringes
Creatinina is creatine
Cloro en suero is blood chlorine
SGOT is the same in English
Sonografia abdominal completa is a complete abdominal ultrasound
Torax AP o PA y lateral is a chest X-ray front and side (thorax region)

That's it for today!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks pma.......don't know why I put the bilirrubina as it IS bilirubin in English and has to do with liver enzymes.

leekiv - Google doesn't do it for medical terms in Spanish. I tried out 15 translation sites also but if ya wanna know ya gotta part with dough (as in money!!).
Since the cost to have it all translated by a paid professional would be more the the amount OHIP will re-imburse (and they don't pay for the translation) I'm trying to do as much of it as I can within the limits set by OHIP for non certified translation.

Gota gruesa literally means big drops so it has something to do with the actual size of the red blood cells but I can't remember the medical term for that in English.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
BTW- the hemocultivo was the test for malaria and another was the test for leptopirosis (also test for bacteria in the blood) and we had to wait 5 days for the results for one of them.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Tiempo de protombina (PT) = time of protombina )PT) =coagulation test.
Tiempo de tromboplastina parcial= time of partial tromboplastina (TTPT or TPT as English abbreviations).

Both of the above are clotting factors and indication of liver function.

SGPT same as in English
Hemocultivo IS a blood culture and is used to identify or find bacteria, micro organisms or fungi in the blood.

Now I wonder if I have to figure out which ones were for what or if OHIP will just accept 'blood culture' as the translation?????

docp

Aug 13, 2005
sedimentation rate is aka sed rate oe ESR. The size of the red blood cells is th MCV= mean corpuscular volume but I'm sure thea Not what gota gruesa is which means fat drop.

docp

Aug 13, 2005
sorry for the typos but if you need, I will help out. I'm an internist fluent in spanish and english

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Doc......I've got a few more but my head is aching at the moment so stay tuned......

So the Coprologico would be the MCV for the size of the blood cells to determine corpuscular volume - did I understand that correctly??

Also is the hemograma the test for red and white cells (WCB in English?)??

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am drawing a conclusion from the meaning of "coprophilia" in English, but my estimate for coprologico would be a examination of a stool sample.

Edited to add:

In Spanish, corpuscle is corp?sculo.

docp

Aug 13, 2005
No Mommc a hemograma is called a CBC in USA (complete blood count) which is red & white blood cells and platelets. MCV is part of the CBC. A coprologico is a stool exam for ova and parasites. Easy ha?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Dang......I realized that right after I posted and knew it was part of a Chem 7 but couldn't for the life of me remember CBC. Now to go snitch a requesition from my doc's office here in Canada to finish looking up the other names/symbols I can't recall. Stinks to think that I understand it when I read it but can't make the connection to the English equivalents!! Must be getting old.
I did manage to figure out that the line reading "Test gluteraldehido" is a chemical similar to formaldehyde that is a disinfectant, bacteriacide.
Also the bajantes de suero threw me for a loop 'cause to me 'bajantes' are down spouts or drain pipes.....took a while to realize "blood drainpipes" was an infusion set (IV plumbing).
Oh well.....The BUN was easy- same in English as was the SGOT, SGTP, GGTP and I've even remembered the LDH (lactate dehydrogenase).

I do see I typo'd the WBC to WCB....told ya I had a headache. Did all the HDL/LDL/TRIGs along with the T3/T4/Thyroglobulin too.

Also I know the hematozoarios is the test for parasites (gastrointestinal usually) but does it have a name in English??? Or do I just translate as 'test for parasites'.

Thanks La Profe - you said it and Doc confirmed.

Now Doc ....where are you located in the DR?? I just might have to cook you a home made pizza when I get back.

Stay tuned .....I think I'm almost done. Now what is the name for that fancy TB test in English....(no not the scratch test....the other complicated one!!)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Agreed, my stool analysis here for giardia was called a coprologico. Can your friend Dr. Chris not help you if she is here in DR? By fancy TB test do you mean the AFB smear & culture, via sputum samples or bronchoscopy? (AFB=acid fast bacillus).

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes Dr Chris could help if I was in the DR but the problem is I am back in Canada, in the Great White North (freezing rain today) where most of the Spanish speaking inhabitants of our town are Mexican,Peruvian, or Argentinian and those I've asked have no medical knowledge to help out so....I seem to know more than they do (Yikes!!).
It was a bronchoscopy that was done (along with an esophogeal echo) so does that have a special name in English or do I just list bronchoscopy??

I've pulled my ages old pharmacological dictionary for the medicines he received but some of those are proving a challenge too. Like the gluteraldehido they just don't seem to have an English equivalent that I can find. Ahh...wish I'd taken Latin in high school all those years ago when I took Spanish instead :) ;)

Sheesh....it was much easier in Spanish in Feb. and I've finally started thinking in the language so maybe now my speaking it will finally improve!

Hmm....I think I'd better spell check too!

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'd call it a bronchoscopy for AFB test -then spell out acid-fast bacillus smear, culture, and sensitivity.

Just noticed earlier your question on LDH. This is the lactate dehydrogenase test - presence of enzyme used to measure tissue damage I think (as in heart, liver, kidney etc.) If blood didn't come from a vein it would have been taken from earlobe, heel. toe or finger.

Shame you're not in email contact with Dr. Chris - she probably would have done it all for you.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes.....
I should have thought of her but I was sitting here at my desk with about forty different reciepts/invoices and 100 gov't forms that needed to be copied, filled out, translated, certified etc. and didn't think of her until after I'd posted.
Then I figured we'd be posting some useful info for others who may need to know sometime.

That's why I've posted the other items that I did remember the English equivalents.

I really did know what almost all of them were for and could explain it to you if asked but had no idea of what they were called in English. No medical background just a lot of experience (our doctor told everyone at the clinic and the hospital that I was a nurse to make sure they would all feed me results 'cause she knew I wanted to know and would understand them.) but one does tend to forget even the names of tests one knows when not using them for a while.

I did okay with all the radiology tests because they're pretty much the same in both languages (sonografia-ultrasound, torax 1 inc AP o LAT- thorax xray inc AP and LAT, ecocardiograma - echo cardiogram, ECG -electrocardiograma, T.A.C. torax simple y contrast - CT scan thorax simple and with contrast (Computerized Axial Tomography).)

PapaTony's oncologist was surprized we already knew the results of all the tests he had done here when we got home so I confided that while he was in hospital there I'd requested a 'few' extra diagnostic procedures! He's not scheduled for a CT scan here for another full 18 months but my mind is at ease 'cause he's had the one there and has another scheduled when we return this winter. His Dr. there recommended it to be sure the antibiotic resistant bug that caused the pnuemonia is gone and his lungs are clear so I just asked/will ask for them to 'extend' the scan a little bit so we can check 'other' eventualities! :)
(So much for universal health care - much more thorough and efficient in the DR at a much lesser cost as well).

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
BTW PPD (same in English) is the skin test for TB in case anyone is wondering. Yep, that WAS done also........

Doc's here are VERY thorough!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Okay...here's another one....
kit de aseo completo de 6 piez translated to read 6 piece hygiene kit.
Does this sound correct?
It's the kit that contains the urine bottle, sputum tray, bedpan etc.