Retiring to DR...Lots of Questions...

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Hello All...I am new to this forum, and very thankful to have stumbled upon it in my researching for all things Dominican Republic.

I suffer from a chronic neurologic disorder, and at some point will need to retire on disability. My prayer is that I will be able to work at least 5 more years, at which time both of my sons will be in college. My condition is not terminal, and I have lengthy periods of stability. As I am only 34 years of age, my current annual pay at time of disability will be around $45,000...which is chump change is the US. I have a heart for missionary work focusing on children/youth, and recognize that there are countless opportunities in the DR for such service. My ex-husband is Haitian/Dominican, and my sons have taken an extreme interest in their heritage, which is pleasing to me.

All that said, I see the potential for me to be able to live comfortably and happily in the Dominican Republic.

Here come the questions:

1. Security - I've been looking in the area of Jarabacoa (due to missionary opportunities), is this a safe area. I am a single-woman, and will be living on my own. Where would I be safest, and still be able to serve in ministry?

2. Health - Can I bring my Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance with me, or will I have to find a different health care insurance? I would always come back to the states for major procedures, but for basic/maintenance care, can I keep my current insurance?

3. Transportation - Because of my condition, I don't drive. Will that be a problem in a city such as Jarabacoa, that appears to be less populated?

4. Finances - Am I being naive in thinking I can make it on $45,000 annually? Since my retirement is coming from US, am I still paying taxes on it? If so, I estimate take home pay of about $1500 - 2000 monthly...can I make it in the DR with that?

5. Housing - I've been getting really excited when I search these real estate sites...living on north america's east coast a 2 bedroom condo with no luxury runs about $470,000 and up in my neighborhood. I currently rent for $1500 monthly (including utilities). Should I look to rent first when I come there? What can I expect to pay? I haven't found a lot of rental properties in Jarabacoa, but I found so many beautiful homes, some new for $150,000 and less...That's Amazing!!! Is it too good to be true?

~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all so much for providing this amazing resource!! I will be plowing through dilligently...And I appreciate any help you can offer with regards to my questions.

Wishing you well,

roches

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I don't know if this helps but if you live in the Dr for 6 months and 1 day you don't have to pay any state taxes in the US. However if you live in Fla. there's no state tax anyway.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Hi roches

and welcome to the DR1. If you use the search function on this site plenty of your questions will be answered. Most of the "old timers" on here have plenty of advice to give and I am sure will be around shortly. I know from reading many posts on here that they will also tell you to use the search function. They will also ask many questions, ( some may sound harsh but that is just because they have done this ooo so many times, so do not take it personal). Good luck to you.

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Thank you both...I anxiously await the responses of the old timers...and hope they will be gentle with me. I struggle with my vision, and cognitive abilities...so logical searching and then reading is not always an easy task.

roches

Jun 5, 2007
So I checked out this link Cost of Living and this information here...

How much money will I need to support myself in the D.R.?
As everywhere, the answer varies according to the lifestyle you wish to lead. Housing may be the single largest expense. It is possible to find very modest housing for RD$3,000 per month, so one person should be able to live very austerely on RD$8,000 per month. RD$15,000 per month will allow you to live in reasonable comfort, while RD$25,000 per month will allow you to indulge in some luxuries?and perhaps save enough money for your plane ticket home for Christmas.

and was wondering if this is accurate and timely information???

gini

Dec 12, 2005
On the same page, you can also read :

A gallon of unleaded gasoline currently costs RD$30.00 but fuel prices fluctuate every week.....:paranoid:

Obsolete informations

But you can find very good ones in many recent threads

And for the RD$25,000.... maybe 100,000 now :ermm:

roches

Jun 5, 2007
On the same page, you can also read :

A gallon of unleaded gasoline currently costs RD$30.00 but fuel prices fluctuate every week.....:paranoid:

Obsolete informations

But you can find very good ones in many recent threads

And for the RD$25,000.... maybe 100,000 now :ermm:

So will I be okay with RD$48,000???

gini

Dec 12, 2005
So will I be okay with RD$48,000???

Alone, without car, you will for sure, but with 2 boys ??? Always the same problem... depends on the life style you request ! But I'm not yet an oldtimer, just an old reader and soon a newcomer ;) So I let the place to experts !

DesiArnez6

Aug 9, 2005
Hello All...I am new to this forum, and very thankful to have stumbled upon it in my researching for all things Dominican Republic.

I suffer from a chronic neurologic disorder, and at some point will need to retire on disability. My prayer is that I will be able to work at least 5 more years, at which time both of my sons will be in college. My condition is not terminal, and I have lengthy periods of stability. As I am only 34 years of age, my current annual pay at time of disability will be around $45,000...which is chump change is the US. I have a heart for missionary work focusing on children/youth, and recognize that there are countless opportunities in the DR for such service. My ex-husband is Haitian/Dominican, and my sons have taken an extreme interest in their heritage, which is pleasing to me.

All that said, I see the potential for me to be able to live comfortably and happily in the Dominican Republic.

Here come the questions:

1. Security - I've been looking in the area of Jarabacoa (due to missionary opportunities), is this a safe area. I am a single-woman, and will be living on my own. Where would I be safest, and still be able to serve in ministry?

2. Health - Can I bring my Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance with me, or will I have to find a different health care insurance? I would always come back to the states for major procedures, but for basic/maintenance care, can I keep my current insurance?

3. Transportation - Because of my condition, I don't drive. Will that be a problem in a city such as Jarabacoa, that appears to be less populated?

4. Finances - Am I being naive in thinking I can make it on $45,000 annually? Since my retirement is coming from US, am I still paying taxes on it? If so, I estimate take home pay of about $1500 - 2000 monthly...can I make it in the DR with that?

5. Housing - I've been getting really excited when I search these real estate sites...living on north america's east coast a 2 bedroom condo with no luxury runs about $470,000 and up in my neighborhood. I currently rent for $1500 monthly (including utilities). Should I look to rent first when I come there? What can I expect to pay? I haven't found a lot of rental properties in Jarabacoa, but I found so many beautiful homes, some new for $150,000 and less...That's Amazing!!! Is it too good to be true?

~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all so much for providing this amazing resource!! I will be plowing through dilligently...And I appreciate any help you can offer with regards to my questions.

Wishing you well,

roches

I'm hoping you mean $45,000 dollars as your second post said "RD$45,000". RD$45,000 a year would be VERY difficult to live on, and i mean VERY!

If you mean you will have $45,000 DOLLARS (which sems implied in the First post) than I would say you'bb be just fine! If I'm not mistaken thats over $850 dollars a week, PLENTY FINE, And I am serious, With half of that I'd be at the movies every week.

To simplify things I will just post my experience in US Dollars

I live fine on 400 dollars a month, but i am also single and live in a working class neighborhood, and I always eat out which wastes money. My apartment 1 bedroom is about 25 dollars month, nut again not the best neighborhood, but CERTAINLY better than when I lived in the mifddle of a dangerous area but I only paid 11 dollars a month (you get what you pay for), That is Santiago.
La Vega is much cheaper, and You can find something easily comparable to an American Style 2 beedroom for 100 dollars monthly.

While transportation is available Island -wide, Jarabacoa is still rural, And I would especially recommend a pasola or motorcycle if you are comfortable or able to ride it. If not be sure to live close to a transportation area, near the center of Jarabacoa.

As far as insurance, you will likely pay ALOT for int'l coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield, I'm not exactly sure, BUT If you want insurance, you are likely to save a lot more money by paying for a local plan in one of the large reputable hospital/clinics.

Again, I am not sure about The City of La Vega, But Santiago basically has the most major facilities in the Cibao. Clinica Corominas, Materna y Infantil, or Union Medica are VERY reputable. A regular doctotor charges usuall about $15 per visit full price , HOWEVER, note that many such upscale doctors prefer that you pay cash rather than insurance. My doctor has a sign that she will only take a maximum of lik 3 insured patients per day, the rest must have cash. Which is NOT a problem as MOST people pay their doctors in cash.

I would also re think your opinion on traveling back to the United States for major medical issues. BY pying in Cash you are likely to get the best care available to you in the DR, since you are NOT bound by insurance restrictions.
(I was hospitalized once in one of the private hospitals, received all medication x-rays the BEST care I have ever had faster than ever with a FULL team of doctors. I was only charged Just over $100 total for two days stay, in my OWN room, hardwood door, fancy lights Air conditioning 24hour lights, Shower hot water, Cable TV, and AMAZING Service. As well, the Emergency Room wait??? Only 5 minutes (BIG DIFFERENCE from the US) (An emergency room visit total cost = approximately 8 dollars. I personally plan to have any major medical stuff done in the DR, NOT the US where my horrible HMO plan dictates the substandard care that I receive.

As far as I know Jarabacoa is known to be safe, HOWEVER, as in ALL countryside areas, I do NOT recommend venturing outside late at night especially after midnight, thieves often roam the countryside roads in the middle of the night looking to robb people. IF you are not Dominican looking, especially white skinned/Caucasian, I would choose a place that is reasonable close to a few neighbors, or even directly adjacent. Robbers usually wil target more seclude homes with no neighbors, ESPECIALL if the dwelers are know to be foreign or travellers. Daytime travel should be more than safe. Still be carefull with excessive jewelry.

OH, by the way since you won't be driving, I CAN't emphasize this enough, try to be as close to water as possible like river, etc when the summer comes, wow will it get hot (although not so bad in Jarabacoa) still, If you aren't used to heat without airconditioning, plan your surroundings around air conditioned stores, or ares to possibly swim if necessary, or atleast a colmado that sells ice or frozen water ;)

Hope this helps.

Desi ;)

DesiArnez6

Aug 9, 2005
Sorry, forgot to mention, likely you will not benefit from prescription coverage as Prescriptions are so cheap, (UNLESS you are in need of some sort of VERY rare medication) Still, the DR has open competition with medicine, so the pharmaceutical idustry MUST compete. Result..... Medicine that everyone can afford to pay cash. I have NEVER paid more than 6 dollars for a weeks worth of medicine. And ALSO note that prescriptions are NOT necesary. IF you KNOW what you need, you can simply gat it directly at the pharmacy. As well, if you explain the doctor's diagnosis to the pharmacist, they can explain to you ALL of the medicine available for such diagnosis in the event you aren't exactly comnfortable witht he originall prescribed meds, due to reaction/side effect/ or price

;)

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Wow Desi...you rock!!!

Thank you for the detailed information...You live on $400 a month??? I'm ready to come now...

The RD$48,000 was monthly, and was what my conversion thing translated approx. $1500 us dollars to be. I don't know what my taxes will be like, or what the exact figure my disability check will be...but I'm certain I would not make less than $1500 US dollars monthly...so I wanted to budget on the safe side.

I contacted Blue Cross Blue Shield...I'm a gov't employee, so my rates (even those after I retire) are extremely reasonable and deducted from my income automatically (which is factored into the $1500)...anyway they said that my coverage is international and I would be covered...but in most cases I would have to pay the physician at the time of service, and file the insurance claim myself for reimbursement. Because the nature of my "major" procedures includes repairing a medical device that is implanted in my brain, and another type of brain surgery for a secondary disorder caused my the initial one, the idea of having these things done outside of the US is scary to me...But if I find that the health care provided surpasses that which I'm receiving at Johns Hopkins, I will be there sooner rather than later. :cheeky:

Are there neighborhoods/communities in Jarabacoa close to the beautiful river and waterfalls that I see in the pictures?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Roches, no medical care in the world can match what Johns Hopkins has to offer. I wouldn't dare suggest that the DR has anything close to that caliber in medical expertise. You need to be able to travel quickly back to US if the need arises and fortunately, many international airports in DR are within an hour or two of any place there.
$1500 a month can afford you a comfortable living if it were just you. But what about your sons? Don't they need to enrol in school? That can be expensive and likely you won't find great schools in Jarabacoa.
The better schools can be found in bigger cities such as Santiago and Santo Domingo.
Still, if you budget yourself smartly, you and sons can certainly live well and still have some cash surplus for fun stuff.
There are many intangibles about our nation that, taken into consideration, beats living in the states even at twice the income.
Do all your homework. Be safe, be happy!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
You can do just fine if your disability or retirement income is equal to US$45,000 a year. You may still pay federal taxes on this money (unless it is in the form of disability insurance that you paid for with post-tax income -yes this is non-taxable income to you)

You can give up your state residency and avoid having to pay state taxes by giving up your residence there (not maintaining a rented presence there such as a house or other rented space - sell whatever you aren't bringing here). This really depends on the state you live in, as state laws really vary - best to check with a tax attorney who really knows their stuff - I would recommend Jane Bruno - her website: Oceanwaves Expat Tax Services (no, this is NOT spam, she is really knowledgable on US taxes for ex-pats)

I have friends here with Blue Cross and they tell me they receive the same service and payments here for their medical care.

Jarabacoa seems safe and quiet, but like anywhere in the DR it can have its hazards. Just keep your eyes open and watch out for two guys going past on motos.

Good luck.

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Roches, no medical care in the world can match what Johns Hopkins has to offer. I wouldn't dare suggest that the DR has anything close to that caliber in medical expertise. You need to be able to travel quickly back to US if the need arises and fortunately, many international airports in DR are within an hour or two of any place there.
$1500 a month can afford you a comfortable living if it were just you. But what about your sons? Don't they need to enrol in school? That can be expensive and likely you won't find great schools in Jarabacoa.
The better schools can be found in bigger cities such as Santiago and Santo Domingo.
Still, if you budget yourself smartly, you and sons can certainly live well and still have some cash surplus for fun stuff.
There are many intangibles about our nation that, taken into consideration, beats living in the states even at twice the income.
Do all your homework. Be safe, be happy!

Don, thanks so much for the info!! My sons will both be in college in 5 years, which is when I am planning to come...I'm a planner so I'm trying to get everything in order now. I want to be fluent in the language when I arrive, and have my health fairly stable. My ex-husband would never go for my taking them out of the states...though if he would, and I did...because I would not be working, I would homeschool them. My eldest son will most likely join me after college...as he is eager to learn of his heritage.

It is the "intangibles" to which I am most looking forward. After having my fast-paced life halted by illness, I have grown weary of the dog-eat-dog society in which I live...I want to take in the splendor of God's creations...I want to help those who need it most...I want to watch sunrise and sunset after sunrise and sunset; drink hot, strong, black coffee...and write my every thought, dream, fear and ambition...it seems that the DR is the ideal place for such things.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I May Have Missed It,But, How Much Time Have You Spent In The DR?

I wish you all the BEST, But I think you are looking at the DR through "Rose Colored Glasses"!!
The kind of medical care you say you need is not available here!
I worked for 11 years at the best hospital on the island. I still go to the USA for health care!
Do you know that there are long periods of time here,(days, NOT hours) when there is no water,or electricity?
I just think you have NO IDEA what it is like to actually live here.
Cris Colon

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I hate to sound negative, but I think you would be wise to listen to Criss. The DR is a fantastic place to live, but life can be difficult at times. It's just like...NYC, for example. Lots of people go to visit, but I know plenty of people who say they could never actually live there. The DR has the blackouts, crime, etc. etc. You're probably familiar with all that, just from reading the boards ;) While there are great doctors, since your condition is so delicate, you might feel more comfortable receiving care in a place that's more familiar.
You mentioned your ex-husband was Dominican/Haitian--did you ever live down here? If so, disregard everything I'm saying! If not, I'd definitely recommend coming down here for an extended time, to see if it's really everything you're hoping for.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Dog or Rat?

... in 5 years, which is when I am planning to come...I'm a planner so I'm trying to get everything in order now.
That's good.
Looking back at the last five years in this country, however,
I'd say don't plan too much on the present situation...

...I have grown weary of the dog-eat-dog society in which live...
Well, here it's 'rat eats rat', little change.

...I want to watch sunrise and sunset after sunrise and sunset; drink hot, strong, black coffee...and write my every thought, dream, fear and ambition...it seems that the DR is the ideal place for such things.
May the gods help you with your dream...

m'frog

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Criss...I have been paying close attention to the boards, and I'm extremely close with my mother-in-law who was born and raised in the DR...I'm not looking through vacation brochures...I'm grounded.

My initial thought is that any and all emergent care would be handled in the states...but I got to thinking, as I wait another 3 weeks in discomfort, before I can be seen by my Johns Hopkins "team"...how much would I really be sacrificing. I've been sick for four years, and aside from the surgery that stabalized my condition, they've done little else...there's nothing else to do. I have two more surgeries in the coming year...I want to have them, recover, retire...and move to a place where I don't have to wonder if I can make it. I don't want to have to worry if I can't ever work again. If I have to fly home for future surgeries, that's cool...I'm up for that...but the years in between...I can't afford to purchase the homes here, and I make $63,000 annually...all I can afford to do is survive...and worry.

I want to watch a garden grow in my back yard...eat fresh fruits and vegetables...that didn't cost an arm and a leg. If the lights go out, won't I be okay if I have a generator? If I have bottled water stored in the house will I be okay? How much should I have stored.

I don't want to be naive, which is why I am asking the questions...but I don't have blinders on, and I am being honest with myself..as well as my family in determining if this is for us...I believe that it is.

roches

Jun 5, 2007
m'frog,

Is it really rat-eat-rat...I've not gotten that "feel" from the many Dominicans that I know...and that's certainly not how they view their home. I know that it takes all types to make the world go 'round, but I believe that the DR offers a slower pace...an atmosphere where people don't size you up, "are you educated", "are you a professional", "what's your socio-economic status" the minute you walk into the room, if ever. I don't want to live life in the fast lane any longer, and if that means that the lights go out from time to time...and I have to bathe in the river because the waters not running so be it...I'm that girl ;)

What are the intangible joys that you get out of being a resident of the DR?? Sunsets and sunrises will do it for me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Roaches, I Hate To Beat a "Dead Horse", But HAVE You Ever Been Here???

And if you think that Dominicans don't "Size You Up",you are really mistaken! Here "Class",Social Position, Education,and MOST OF ALL, "Skin Color" dictate where you fall on the social ladder! You get 10 Points" just for being "WHITE"!
To me,it sounds like you are running "FROM" something,and not "TO" something! And you really have no idea of what the "TO" is!
It's fun to go camping in the wilderness! Knowing all the while that it is just a temporary visit. But go for a lifetime sleeping in a pool of sweat because you have no electricity, and see how you like it! That "Generator" you talk about, costs a lot of money to buy,then fill it with fuel,and pay to maintain it! Then it will be stolen when you have to go to "Hopkins" for treatment. Along with every stick of furniture in your house!
The place you are dreaming about does not exist! The DR is a really hard place to survive,even if you have no physical limitations. Why do you think that thousands of Dominicans risk their lives,and lives savings, trying to reach Puerto Rico in a leaky boat. Maybe they know something you don't?????????
You better come walk a few miles in out shoes before you even dream about moving here!
I tell the peaple who come here many times a year,some who stay months at a time,even own a house or condo here,"You don't have ANY IDEA what life is like in the DR until you are living here 24/7" And we have the money to make things a little easier!
Cris Colon