What are you listening to, DR1ers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Second time around, DR1ers: What's keeping you in a good mood lately?

The Kid has been listening to Amy Winehouse lately.

How 'bout you?

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
music

I am a recently converted Parrot Head, and as such I am committed to learning the lyrics to all of his songs. Some of my favorites off the top of my head are: Island, First Look, In the Shelter, The Wino and I Know (boy do we), Desperation Samba?
Today I have John Mayer in my CD player. Some of my favorites from him are: Slow Dancin? in a Burnin? Room, Another You, In Repair and Beliefs?
Those are the two artists jumping to my head right now.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I just found Seu Jorge. My favorite song is Cotidiano !!! oh and I also found this girl called addy's Mercedes... I got her song Afro de Mercedes on myspace page !!!

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
forgot to add

Ceci Bastida, she used to be with julieta venegas but now she is due to come out with her own album. she has a page on myspace that is where you can hear her music.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Tell me

So what are some of your favorites, and why?

I also forgot to include "fruitcakes" in my Buffett line up. That's what I'm listening to now.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Barefoot Children in the Rain

Scratch my back with a lightning bolt
Thunder rolls like a bass drum note
The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band
We all fell down from the Milky Way
Hangin' round here till Judgment Day
Heaven only knows who's in command

Barefoot children in the rain
Got no need to explain
We'd be swingin' on a ball and chain
It's always understood by those who play the game

Show me yours and I'll show you mine
Take me back to days full of monkeyshines
Bouncin' on a bubble full of trouble in the summer sun
Keep your raft from the riverboat
Fiction over fact always has my vote
And wrinkles only go where the smiles have been

Got no need to explain

Scratch my back with a lightning bolt
Thunder rolls like a bass drum note
The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band
The sky turns blue and the sun appears
But the question's still what are we doin' here
I don't think the answer's close at hand

Got no need to explain
In the rain...
In the rain...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I listen to spanish language tapes and modern music (reggaeton, etc.) so that I can speak better when I go back to the DR. It is really frustrating not to be able to communicate normally with people while there.

L

LarrySpencer

Here's an idea for anyone who would like to listen to US radio from their car. But a SIRIUS satellite radio in the states. You can activate it with a US credit card and a US address. The trick is that the billing info for the CC must match the billing address.

With this you can listen to all the music you want, not to mention all the NFL games, NASCAR, hockey, NBA, Howard Stern, Radio Disney, and the list goes on and on. I've got it here, and it works great. I may lose audio for an hour or two when the satellites aren't within range, but other than that, I've got US radio all the time. I've even got it in the house.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I have a truly eclectic taste in music, the whole gamut. I can't really define what I look for or what specifically turns me on musically. For example, I can find myself immersed in compositions recorded at the Fes Morocco Sacred Music Festival of the World, and the next moment I'm listening to obscure blues singers, later contemporary local music, including bachatas and merengues, and even later, old tradicional ditties for children, and so on. If I like it, I keep listening. If I don't, I turn it off, just like I do while watching TV or a DVD film. Maybe it was an overacted scene, self-indulgent photography, an inconsistent script, forced lines, sloppy casting, whatever, and I switch channels, or turn the DVD off. I don't have a similar language with which to talk about music, but I must approach it the same way...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've just done a cheesy space-themed music compilation for my son's space age birthday bash next week. Everything from Holst to Bowie to the Star Wars theme. Anyone know any songs about rockets, aliens, planets and stars in Spanish?

Otherwise... haven't been listening to much lately. The sidipley is on the blink and I haven't quite made the transition to music downloads, apart from the above.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
I only listen to the voices in my head and right now I'm hearing: "redrum, redrum, redrum"!! I wonder what it means??

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I only listen to the voices in my head and right now I'm hearing: "redrum, redrum, redrum"!! I wonder what it means??

It means murder, murder, murder!! Didn't you see the movie The Shining (1980) directed by Stanley Kubrick, based on a Stephen King's novel, and starred by Jack Nicholson?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Man! Mirador. You're one amazing fellow! Will love to meet you some day and discuss the meaning of life......You'd probably have the answer!
Good grief!

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
If I recall correctly, the answer to the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything is 42.

And it's wrong...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Any music coming from Jamaica...

Mostly classic reggae...

1983 was a good year for rub'a dub'...

Status
Not open for further replies.