Let's talk about Wine!

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Can anyone recommend a favorite wine from the Dominican Republic?if there is such a thing? If so, what are the properties you enjoy? I am just starting to learn about wines and would like to ?explore this part of the beautiful island?.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Can anyone recommend a favorite wine from the Dominican Republic?if there is such a thing? If so, what are the properties you enjoy? I am just starting to learn about wines and would like to ?explore this part of the beautiful island?.

In not usually fastidious about spelling ...;-) but you left out the h, it's spelled whine, not wine.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
i have never heard of Dominican wine. It might exists but I doubt the climatic conditions of DR will ever permit quality wine.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
alas...

While I was waiting for a response, I googled to see if I could find an answer...Same thing...not much. Oh well, it was worth asking. If anyone has some ideas, please let me know. lk

Jan 5, 2006
There are wines produced in DR, however, I cannot attest as to their quality.

There is a co-op undertaking in Neyba (southwest region) with help from Italian wine experts that is trying to produce grapes for winemaking in quantities that are viable for commercial use. I have seen video footage that shows the grape fields and the winemaking facility, and in that footage, one of the Italian experts stated that the soil and weather conditions in Neyba were very similar to those of Tuscany (central Italy), and were favorable for producing quality grapes for winemaking.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why bother with Dominican wine, when Chilean wines are so good & cheap?
The DR makes great rum, arguably world class, but wine is at the bottom of the list of Dominican specialities.
(Boy this version of spell check sucks. It tells me I misspelled "specialities". It doesn't want me to write "neighbour". Pretty soon it won't accept the word "night" unless it's spelled "nite".
I've learned to accept that some lazy fools are changing the spelling of certain English words, but when they start telling you the original correct spelling is wrong.....) :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is illegal, immoral, and down right wrong to use the words good, wine and Dominican Republic in the same sentence.:ermm:

Bob K (former wine snob)

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Why bother with Dominican wine, when Chilean wines are so good & cheap?

I agree 200% and how much is a good cheap chilean wine bottle in supermarkets or colmados ?

Is it better to drink it a little cooled (15-18?C) or at local temperature (25?+++ ?) or just a taste question ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree 200% and how much is a good cheap chilean wine bottle in supermarkets or colmados ?

Is it better to drink it a little cooled (15-18?C) or at local temperature (25?+++ ?) or just a taste question ?
I believe the custom is to chill white and drink red at room temperature, but room temperature around here is a wee bit too warm.
Besides, who has the right to tell you how you should enjoy your beverages?
PS: Don't know prices off hand, but they are very reasonable, way cheaper than French.

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
A fantastic cheap red wine from Argentina is Colon - Cabernet Sauvignon, costs RD$200 at La Sirena. Colon also has a Malbec and a Syrah but the Cabernet is far better in my opinion.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
Thanks

I'm not much of a rum drinker, and haven't had alcohol in the DR yet. (YET!;)
I want to try mamajuana, but I like the "sipping/savoring" of wine. That's why I was hoping to find something fun from the DR. I think its probably a sentimental think. One of my favorite beaches here in the states has a wine named after it (Silver Beach, St. Joe Michigan), so I always like to pick up a bottle when I am there. Thanks.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Yellow Tail - Merlot

Rocky, see if you can find 'Yellow Tail' from Australia in the DR. I enjoy it here in NY. I prefer the Merlot. Try it with a nice steak..

Cheers,;)

Zeus.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Home-made wine

There's a place between Consuelo and Hato Mayor called Guayabo Dulce, where they make wine from rice, corn, magey and other stuff. Pretty good.