what will happen to Macao beach?

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Last year I was in Punta Cana and I saw that they were building a Westin Hotel that will have bungaloos on a pool kind of like bora bora. so I looked up information to see if it was done. well, let me get to the point

I saw that the project's name is Roko Ki. And when I saw the pictures I realized that they are building all that stuff on Macao Beach !!! I realize that they will build a marina right in front of the piece of land that sticks out... so you wont have that beautiful background for pictures but,

Are they going to use up all of Macao beach? no more macao unless you stay at Roko ki?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sumptin like that........

Basically what will happen is the same thing that happened to Bayahibe! It too was unspoiled, beautiful and natural when we first started going there almost 20 years ago. Today you have to stay at one of the resorts or use the fishermans' beach with its' oily sand and water........:(

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There will come a time when dominicans are going to have to pay to have access to a beach.

I'm aware of a well organized ad hoc grassroots organization in Higuey ready to fight tooth-and-nail for continued public access to Macao beach. I've talked to some of the members and they seem extremely militant about their cause, they seem prepared to shed blood if necessary to keep Macao beach open and accesible to the public.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Macao is the 'flagship' beach of the people of Higuey and most of the people of the Province in general, hence the price to paid by any company trying to make it a private beach would be too great. The political price to any poletician that may allow would be high too ..

Sep 19, 2005
the dominicans only have greedy dominicans to blame....some greedy dude sold out the public to get his cut and now all the heat should go there....

the same holds true for the national parks that developers want to build on... the ONLY way they can do that is if some greedy dominican makes it happen....at a cost to all the people of the country who want a piece of their history to pass down....

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
the dominicans only have greedy dominicans to blame....

So true, it is Dominicans themselves who voted in these greedy dudes into office. But nature works in wondrous ways, and every once in a while a "bad seed" is sowed and a proverbial "black sheep" is born, and when least expect it, the new dude, with one sweep of its claws, will mow down all the now old and fat greedy dudes. Why? because the new dude is an evener greedier dude, and is well aware that by giving back the beaches to the people, he will have even more power. And all those unfortunate rich foreigners who naively bought property within 60 meters from the high tide water line, will irredeemably lose their investments.

I can feel it, it's in the air, the revolution is coming!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Believe it!...the marina will happen.
A diver from Guayacanes was there marking stones and underwater hazards for removal!! This is not a joke....he is a personal friend.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I am curious, what revolution Mirador?

You mean you can't smell it? Take a deep breath, you still don't catch the whiff? The revolution is almost here, just as sure as the fact that you will never see a picture of President Leonel Fern?ndez swimming shirtless in the surf in Macao beach, or any beach for that matter...*

*people have dissapeared for saying less than that!!!...;-)

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
You mean you can't smell it? Take a deep breath, you still don't catch the whiff? The revolution is almost here, just as sure as the fact that you will never see a picture of President Leonel Fern?ndez swimming shirtless in the surf in Macao beach, or any beach for that matter...*

*people have dissapeared for saying less than that!!!...;-)

Humor negro? I don't understand what you are talking about. :ermm::eek:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Macao is the 'flagship' beach of the people of Higuey and most of the people of the Province in general, hence the price to paid by any company trying to make it a private beach would be too great. The political price to any poletician that may allow would be high too ..

There goes The Kid's neighborhood...

Eventually, the only beach left for us poor folks in Higuey will be the one across the river in Boca de Yuma: La Playita, also known as Playa Borinquen.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Also, Roco Ki has to thread carefully since a significan part of their fund comes from the European governments, via the European Union.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005

sc-13.jpg

sc-12.jpg

sc-09.jpg

sc-14.jpg

Last edited: