Inverter/battery question

C

Chip00

I have a 5kw inverter with 8 batteries and the batteries are going dry like every 45 days. Is it time to change the batteries or should I have the guy adjust the inverter back a little so it doesn't overload the batteries when it charges them?

Also, even though I don't fill the water to the top of the batteries a lot a water/battery acid comes out the top for about a day after refilling them. They seem to boil off and on for the first few days or so too.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I have a 5kw inverter with 8 batteries and the batteries are going dry like every 45 days. Is it time to change the batteries or should I have the guy adjust the inverter back a little so it doesn't overload the batteries when it charges them?

Also, even though I don't fill the water to the top of the batteries a lot a water/battery acid comes out the top for about a day after refilling them. They seem to boil off and on for the first few days or so too.

Chip-Oh, a couple years ago, CCcc posted about cleaning batteries and giving them longer lives.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chip. You may be correct. Sounds like you are boiling your batts. If it is a Zantrex, you can go on line and download the manual for your model. (or good for general information that may be applicable) If it is a made in the D.R., no telling what you may have. (some I'm told are good, others...???)

check you charger mode and settings. (different types of batts and equalizing settings) and amp rate and/or batt amp hours adjustments. (If your unit has adjustable features) Also, is the battery room vented? Hi heat build up in the room is a small factor but should not effect you battery water to the degree you discribed.

If your batteries take a longer time to charge and not holding a charge, then most likely need to be replaced. Hope this helps. Good luck. Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chip.... WARNING! If you are finding that battery water is coming out thru the secured/closed cap vent(s) during the charging process.... You very well have a very real possiblility of exploding battery (ies).
good luck. Ringo

C

Chip00

Chip. You may be correct. Sounds like you are boiling your batts. If it is a Zantrex, you can go on line and download the manual for your model. (or good for general information that may be applicable) If it is a made in the D.R., no telling what you may have. (some I'm told are good, others...???)

check you charger mode and settings. (different types of batts and equalizing settings) and amp rate and/or batt amp hours adjustments. (If your unit has adjustable features) Also, is the battery room vented? Hi heat build up in the room is a small factor but should not effect you battery water to the degree you discribed.

If your batteries take a longer time to charge and not holding a charge, then most likely need to be replaced. Hope this helps. Good luck. Ringo

Thanks. The inverter is from here but I know it can be adjusted as they had done it before. I will give them a call. BTW, the battery tops have holes for the water/vapor to come out and they told me it was normal to do this after refilling.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chip. Cap vents are for venting off gasing, not water/acid. You may be overfilling OR the charge is to high. I recommend that you check the manuals by Xantrex for general information.

I had one inverter installed here in the D.R. by an "expert". I had to take it out and re-do the whole system and have the inverter partly re-built.

My second system I oversaw and insisted that it be installed "by the book".

Agian.. please be very carefull... an exploding battery is no fun.

Good luck. Ringo

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is higly unlikely that Chip's batteries need any EDTA.
The inverter is one of those local types that's overcharging the crap out of the batteries.
Under those conditions, you could barely ever get any sulphate build up.

Get the guys who manufactured it to turn the charger down or buy a Xantrex.

This is the lesson learned.
El barato sale caro.
When you consider how expensive batteries are, and how much an inverter of this nature destroys their longevity, it works out cheaper just to have bought a Xantrex in the first place.
I've all but given up on those who always want to argue that the locally made unit they bought is identical to a Xantrex, that it's made with the same components, and many variations of this theme.
They are all crap and land up costing you more.

No doubt, we are about to hear from someone, claiming that the one they have is great, has 15 years of trouble free usage on it, blah blah blah, but it ain't true, and they chew through batteries like crazy.

C

Chip00

It is higly unlikely that Chip's batteries need any EDTA.
The inverter is one of those local types that's overcharging the crap out of the batteries.
Under those conditions, you could barely ever get any sulphate build up.

Get the guys who manufactured it to turn the charger down or buy a Xantrex.

This is the lesson learned.
El barato sale caro.
When you consider how expensive batteries are, and how much an inverter of this nature destroys their longevity, it works out cheaper just to have bought a Xantrex in the first place.
I've all but given up on those who always want to argue that the locally made unit they bought is identical to a Xantrex, that it's made with the same components, and many variations of this theme.
They are all crap and land up costing you more.

No doubt, we are about to hear from someone, claiming that the one they have is great, has 15 years of trouble free usage on it, blah blah blah, but it ain't true, and they chew through batteries like crazy.

Good points Rocky, I'm sure I don't have the best out there. At the time though I was on a budget and it was all I could do. I had just put down US40k on the house and was pela'o.

The positive thing is the guy who sold me the inverter is a young electrical engineer and he builds them himself and was trained at Trace. Also, the battery problems started about 11 months after I bought the whole thing - before that I had never even checked the water.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good points Rocky, I'm sure I don't have the best out there. At the time though I was on a budget and it was all I could do. I had just put down US40k on the house and was pela'o.

The positive thing is the guy who sold me the inverter is a young electrical engineer and he builds them himself and was trained at Trace. Also, the battery problems started about 11 months after I bought the whole thing - before that I had never even checked the water.
I'm not trying to make you feel bad, Chip.
Heck, budget constraints forced me to buy some cheap shyte inverters a long time ago, too.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
You know the drill now.
Either the dude who built it can turn the charger down low enough that it doesn't boil the batteries, yet charges them quick enough to recover from the last power failure, or you're going to have to consider selling it and buying a Xantrex.
In the meantime, figure that your batteries haven't got much life left in them.
They can only take so much, then they die, and EDTA cannot save them.
That's for a different type of problem.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Capt. Rob. Do you mean the Prosine series inverter made by Xantrex (Trace) or something else? Again, and as Rocky pointed out, many people will post what they think is true. If you don't have the manual.... go on line and download. (25 sections of product lines for inverters) At least the Xantrex manuals may help and provided by actual... real experts backed by years of a good & reliable product.

Good luck. Ringo (No I don't sell or install. I just like em)