Sweet potatoes??

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
In England I used to cook a lot with sweet potatoes and I am not sure what they look like or are called here, I cannot see anything that looks like what I used to buy in England! I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MMmm (lip smackin' good!) ... Batatas - you get white ones and yellow ones and they are the best sliced thick and cooked outside on the grill/barbecue/barbie - with some fresh fish dripping with lim?n juice ...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You are probably accustomed to Yams (orange fleshed root veggie) which are known in North America as sweet potatoes.
However Chris is correct- true sweet potatoes are called batata in Spanish and have the texture and taste much like regular potatoes with a sweetness found only in true sweet potatoes. I love the red skin/white flesh variety!!
I thin slice mine, toss with a little olive oil and salt and bake in a high heat oven until crispy......Yum!

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
yum!!!

Thanks for the information, I have missed my roasted veggies with sweet potatoes!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
:) I roast veggies ALL the time!
Beets are one of my fav's. When roasting beets, peel and par boil for 10 minutes first using very little water then toss with olive oil and pop in the oven at the same time as the rest of the veggies! They'll come out fully cooked, wonderfully sweet and oh so yummy!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Only way I can get my guy to eat them! He finds them bland when boiled, doesn't like pickles and hate anything too sweet like Harvard beets but he LOVES them roasted!
I roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, asparagus.

Carrots, beets, potatoes go in first, then sweet potatoes, cauliflower,onions and squash and lastly broccoli and asparagus.
Of course I don't always roast all these varieties- just what I happen to have on hand.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OP is from England - so please note that what we Brits call sweet potatoes our Trans-Atlantic cousins call "yams". The sweet potatoes you get in the DR are pale on the inside and not quite as sweet. They are very nice baked or fried, though.
Sorry, just saw MommC's post no. 3 - please carry on.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Sweet potatoes is probably one of the most nutritional foods. There are several varieties in the DR, however, the large ones that turn red when baked are my favorite. As a child, my mother would give us children for breakfast boiled and chopped sweet potatoes which was eaten with milk and brown sugar poured over them, much the same way breakfast cereal is eaten nowadays...