Dominican Standards Used

RBartschat

Jun 4, 2007
Regarding Weight and Volume, what standard is prevalent in the Dominican Republic?

Our Product labels currently quote world standard, metric measurements.
I am afraid we will have to convert all to the more primitive US System (sorry this is not for discussion :) , the british imperial system is so beyond sanity)

Anyhow.... should I rather quote ounces and pounds or is it ok to quote millilitres and Kg on Packages of product to be sold in the Dominican Republic?

Since the real size of these outdated british imperial non-world-standard measurements can vary from system to system do I wish to explicitly ask what the exact dominican conversion rate is for.
Millilitres (ml) to fluid ounces (fl. oz)
Kilogram (Kg) to Pounds (lb) t

I repeat: I ask for there are several definitions of what for example a pound is.

RBartschat

Jun 4, 2007
Reading our product labels I also found references to
- degree celsius
- gram

So I wish to expand my question to those to measurements.
What temperature measurement standard is used in the dominican republic? C or F?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The DR normally uses the metric system (yes, all of it) for labelling purposes. Normally only with products originating in the US (the US is one of the DR`s biggest sources of imported goods) does one see both systems of measurement used.

Exceptions I have noticed:
1. in Customs, when it is usually better to express the weights of goods in both lbs and kg, and volumes in square feet, for example on Packing Lists and Bills of Lading)

2. Gasoline is sold in US Gallons, and not in liters.

3. Unique local measurements, such as "tareas" for land areas, "quintals " for goods such as rice or coffee in bags. (oh, and "un chin" or "poco" for some things too).

4. Goods sold in bulk, such as fruits or vegetables, sugar, etc are usually sold by the pound, because that is the form of measurement used on the weighing balances most available for purchase by street vendors.

Your best source of information if you are planning on selling goods in the DR which will use or need labels is to contact the Governmental authority in charge of such activities: The Secretary of Industry and Commerce - here is their website and contact information: Home page and ask them what their specific requirements are.

As for different conversions between the metric system and the system used in the US, it is only a rounding thing.

1 liter (liquid measurement)= 0.264172 gallons.
1 liter (liquid measurement) = 33.81402 ounces
1 ounce (weight) = 28.349523125 grams
1 pound (weight) = 453.59237 grams or 0.45359237 kg
1 gram = 0.03527396 ounces
1 kg (weight) = 2.204623 pounds

As far as your argument about which system of measurement is better or worse, fooey. Guess what? If you want to do business in the DR, then get used to the reality that the DR has their OWN measurement system, very unique, and that you must abide by THEIR dictated practices, and not your personal preferences.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
For the example above under Customs usage, I should have stated "cubic" feet, and not square feet. Sorry.

1 foot = 0.3048 meters
1 meter = 3.280840 feet or 39.37 inches
12 inches = 1 foot

RBartschat

Jun 4, 2007
That is quite usefull information, thank you. :)
I am in contact with dominican citizen but I was getting conflicting information.

And I am fully aware of the possible different reality that might exist in DR.
I have lived long in Central Americas countries and Mexiko and know about exotic units of measurements like:
-gotas
-cucharas
-quartos
-manos (5 pieces of anything, specially when in the market)
-codos
-tazas
-arrobas
-costales
etc.

In Mexico in contrast all is metric, even though they have Gringolandia next door.

About the virtues of comparing metric with the british imperial systems... I rather not go deeper that way although I make no secret of dispising the deep illogical factors of the imperial system :)
But what business concerns, Our product need to be adapted to local customs, and if british imperial measurements are called for so they will be there. Business is Business :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can't miss if you use metric.
Few of those Mexican measurements is used in the DR.
Cucharadas = tablespoon
Cucharadita = teaspoon
cuarto = a handspan
taza = 8 ounce cup; four cups = quart; 4 quarts = U.S. gallon.
Arrobas differ from country to country.

In the DR we have "varas" an exotic measuring stick that varies. Basically, the tallest person (if you are buying land or measuring work such as ditches or weeding) in the area. He, in turn, finds a small tree. He reaches up to the tip of his middle finger and marks it. Then he measures with his elbow at that mark up to the tip of his middle finger and marks that. Then he measures from there one hand span. usually it is around 12-14 feet....20 of them is a work unit.

HB