pool paint

N

naturelover

can anyone tell me how much i should be paying for pool paint and how easy is it to apply - i heard it was difficult-----in the sousa cabarete area:bunny:

cork

Aug 23, 2003
can anyone tell me how much i should be paying for pool paint and how easy is it to apply - i heard it was difficult-----in the sousa cabarete area:bunny:

Painting a pool is easy however the prepwork is a royal pain. The answer to your question is dependant on what kind of paint. Epoxy paint is waterproof and very slick. That means algae wont stick to it. It costs between RD$800-$1100 per gallon. It is the two part mix type of paint that cures rather than drying.

Go talk with Bob Boyd at American Water Works in Sos?a. He will start you in the correct direction. 809-571 21 06

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

We are in the process of painting the pool at El Neptuno. The paint is costing us about RD$1,200/gallon and was purchased from Nuevo Color in Puerto Plata.

The prep work is the hard part--hot, dirty and tiring.

N

naturelover

thank you

errrrrr what does this prep work involve.....sandpaper as i have a flakey bottom lol my vacuum seems to rip the paint off the bottom

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Not So!

Painting a pool is easy however the prepwork is a royal pain. The answer to your question is dependant on what kind of paint. Epoxy paint is waterproof and very slick. That means algae wont stick to it. It costs between RD$800-$1100 per gallon. It is the two part mix type of paint that cures rather than drying.

Go talk with Bob Boyd at American Water Works in Sos?a. He will start you in the correct direction. 809-571 21 06

This is untrue. Algae is a living spore that will stick to any pool surface wether it's epoxy paint, rubber paint, ceamic tile or marbelite, unless you have 2 ppm of free available chlorine in the water, then it won't grow.
When buying epoxy paint, get the good stuff that comes in 2 parts with a catalyst. Here in Toronto, the quality paint is almost $100.00 a gallon but you won't have to paint again for 6 years. Prep work is essential!
Firstly, drain the pool (duh), give it a muriatic acid bath at 50% strength, drain that, then give it a TSP (tri sodium phosphate bath), rinse, drain, let dry, start painting from the deep end to shallow (duh). You need 72 hours of no rain for it to cure! Painting outdoor pools is tricky. In a perfect world, you should do it on an overcast day with no chance of rain for 3 days. Straight sun can make the epoxy blister.
Good luck!
Steve (Crystal Clear Pool Services)

N

naturelover

another pool question

is it ok to drain the pool for a period or will it make the paint flake off more..ie how long should it be left empty......I think this is my last pool question....:ermm:

cork

Aug 23, 2003
epoxy

This is untrue. Algae is a living spore that will stick to any pool surface wether it's epoxy paint, rubber paint, ceamic tile or marbelite, unless you have 2 ppm of free available chlorine in the water, then it won't grow.
When buying epoxy paint, get the good stuff that comes in 2 parts with a catalyst. Here in Toronto, the quality paint is almost $100.00 a gallon but you won't have to paint again for 6 years. Prep work is essential!
Firstly, drain the pool (duh), give it a muriatic acid bath at 50% strength, drain that, then give it a TSP (tri sodium phosphate bath), rinse, drain, let dry, start painting from the deep end to shallow (duh). You need 72 hours of no rain for it to cure! Painting outdoor pools is tricky. In a perfect world, you should do it on an overcast day with no chance of rain for 3 days. Straight sun can make the epoxy blister.
Good luck!
Steve (Crystal Clear Pool Services)

Epoxy is very hard and has less porosity. What algae forms on it is easily brushed off or vacuumed as opposed to the regular paint used here by "experts". That paint is not smooth and gives algae it's holding power. (read more acid baths etc.) Also should be noted that TSP is either hard to find or non existant in DR.

The OP could use Thoroseal or similar product too. It is here but again sometimes hard to find.