ADN`s Plan Santo Domingo Verde and analysis

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Having read through Roberto Salcedo and his ADN`s plan, here is what I get from it:

1. They plan to create a "georeferenced computerized database of all trees in Santo Domingo." Hmmm, that doesn`t seem likely to me, seeing as NOT ONE government in this country has been able to create a computerized (oh yes, and georeferenced, meaing that they really know where in the heck everyone lives) database of the HUMAN BEINGS WHO LIVE HERE.

They still have to go pull out a big book, and copy /retype the information if you want a copy of your birth certificate, or your marriage certificate here in the DR. And Roberto`s planning on doing this for the trees? What a swell guy !

2. They will need to "renovate" 80% of Santo Domingo's trees to achieve their goals. Hmm, does that mean Roberto plans on killing 80% of the city's trees, and replacing them with trees of his choice, as long as they are on his Top 10 list of preferred species?

3. They plan to avoid monoculture. Yet, they are planning on planting one species along entire major avenues, such as the same variety of palm trees now resident along Ave Lincoln. Caobas along Ave Tiradentes, etc etc. Sounds like monoculture to me, in the local area. The plan doesn`t say "interspersed trees from three or four genuses", it says only one (two at he most for the majority of their plan) along the major avenues.

Kind of like where I grew up, and every square mile out in the country was lined on both sides by elm trees. You know what happened in the 60's and 70's with elm trees. After the trees were gone, they next got rid of the fences too. What a boring place it has become.

4. "Studies have shown that there should be 9 square meters per human occupant. Santo Domingo currently meets that requirement." OK Roberto, with all of these parks, then why are you closing down and stealing the Malecon every Sunday so that 30 or 40 kids can play on asphalt, when you have so many darn parks?? Can you explain that too, with a nice Plan, and studies showing the benefit to these same children from playing on asphalt and breathing sewage-laced fresh sea-air?

5. I agree that it is a GOOD PLAN to plant lots of palm trees in the areas with lots of government huacals. That makes it more difficult for the people to conduct lynchings, not having branches to throw ropes over, and it is also much easier for political candidates to staple their campaign posters up on palm trunks than it is on shade tree's trunks. Good call.

6. Ave Independencia has "evolved in purpose", so you will need to redesign it? OK, I guess we better get ready to see you turn Avenida Independencia into a hot, sunny street lined with palm trees and Guayacanes that will provide shade sometime in the next century.

Do you think that you could plant just one big shade tree, just outside your offices? I have a feeling that it could become a popular gathering point for the citizens of Santo Domingo.

Best wishes and caviar dreams, Roberto.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
You again? another thread on the same rant? The anti Salcedo movement is doing well I see. Do you actually live here? I guess not, since he is by far the best Mayor this city has seen.

And if you actually lived here you would see all the trees that have already been planted over the last few years as well as all the areas he has cleaned-up and all the crap and garbage political posters and street signs now lacking, as well as store signs protruding half-way across the avenues now absent, but of course if you don't live here you can't possibly notice.

Get a life.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, I believe GringoCarlos does reside in SD.

I will have to agree with Narcosis in that Salcedo has been by far the best mayor SD (well, actually, technically, only DF, not all of SD) has had in decades, if ever. I have not lived in SD since 1999 (have just visited since), but the change is noticeable. There's still much he can and should do, but already he has probably done more positive for SD than his 2-3 predecessors put together.

I may be skeptical of the tree plan, but give him credit for his other good works.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Yep, me again. Sorry, but I was busy reading the ADN`s Plan as was suggested to me, and the rest of you had to go get into a ****ing contest so that the Moderator had to lock up the topic. Entonces, yo estoy aqui, esta bien contigo???

Yep, I live here in Sto Dgo. For the past 7 years. And no, I am no tourist, and YES, I pay taxes here in the DR. How many others here also live here AND pay taxes, other than ITBIS and tourist card fees??

I am not anti-Roberto Salcedo. Yep, Roberto has done some good. BUT, this plan should get flushed down the crapper, and Roberto should tell his guys to stop tearing out healthy, live trees, and put the new ones where there are empty spots right now. (no other occupant) Lots of space for new occupants, just leave the old ones (yes, like me too) in peace so that they can continue to provide shade ( and yes, I do personally provide some shade, jaja) and clean up a bit of the polluted air.

Last edited:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
I just can't understand where all these attacks on this plan are coming from if not politically motivated, the fact there is actually a plan now is enough for celebrating.

I passed by the new arbolada park in Naco in front of corazones unidos, and my jaw dropped, what a change, literally turning a dump into a very nice park, this same thing has been done in Gualey and other poorer parts of SD, not to mention Parque Mirador which is a gem. He has planted countless trees there. Or the area going down Alma Mater ave near the UASD, plenty of leafy trees planted over a year ago and the area is a major improvement.

I see new trees on Romulo Betancourt and the Winston Chrurchill and countless other areas. Even the areas most attacked like the Lincoln look nice and neat, the Lira park is loking nice as well, I could go on and on with positive thigs that are being done.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If they touch a tree on Independencia Salcedo should be shot. Same for Bolivar and the other tree lined streets. Stupidity unbounded = Roberto Salcedo!!

Just in from CNN: Immigration Bill fails 49-48 in Senate

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is the plan I believe ...

?reas intervenidas y las especies asignadas:
■ Avenida Luperon: Caoba
■ Avenida Winston Churchill: Caoba y Palma Real
■ Avenida Jim?nez Moya: Caoba y Palma Real
■ Avenida Abraham Lincoln: Avellano criollo
Palma Cana
■ Avenida Tiradentes: Caoba
■ Boulevard de los Estudiantes: Grigri (manejada),
?rbol de Salchicha, Roble Blanco, Avellano criollo
■ Avenida F. Rosario S?nchez: Grigri
■ Avenida Independencia: Guayac?n
■ Avenida Sarasota: Caimito Cimarr?n
■ Avenida R?mulo Betancourt: Avellano criollo,
Mara y Caoba
■ Avenida M?xico: Almacigo y Uva de Playa
■ Avenida Los Pr?ceres: Aceituno
■ Avenida John F. Kennedy: Palma Real
■ Avenida de la Salud: Grigri y Avellano criollo
■ Avenida Ortega y Gasset: Grigri
■ Avenida N??ez de C?ceres: Flamboy?n y Reina de
flores
■ Calle Fray Cipriano: Avellano criollo
■ Calle San Antonio (Capotillo): Array?n
y Avellano criollo
■ Cruce Avenidas 27 de Febrero y Winston Churchill:
Palma Real
■ Cruce Avenidas 27 de Febrero y Tiradentes:
Corozo
■ Cruce Avenidas 27 de Febrero y Ortega y Gasset:
Palma Alexandra
■ Cruce Avenidas 27 de Febrero y M?ximo G?mez:
Caoba
■ Cruce Avenidas John F. Kennedy y Ortega y Gasset:
Palma Real

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The ADN Plan mentions 18 tree varieties, but only 4 varieties comprise more than 1/2 of the plantings.
---------------------------------
Also in Spanish from the Plan Santo Domingo Verde:

Se debe respectar el original aspecto est?tico de los arboladas en conjuntos significativos como las Avenidas George Washington, Sim?n Bolivar y Independencia, cambiando - cuando necesario para evitar danos en la infraestructuras - las especies con otras del mismo valor ornamental pero compatibles con el espacio disponible. En la Avenida Independencia el Frijolito (que tiene un tipo de follaje y densidad de la copa similar al Laurel) puede sustirir los Laureles, e igualmente la Avenida Bolivar se completar? con Roble blanco y Roblillo, un roble Florecido de tama?o reducido, end?mico en la isla.

Translation:

We must respect the original esthetic aspect of the significant trees associated with (? translation OK, Hillbilly ?) the Avenues George Washington, Simon Bolivar and Independencia, changing - when necessary to avoid damages in the infrastructure- these species with others with the same ornamental value but compatible with the space available. In Ave Independencia the Frijolito (which has a foliage type and crown similar to the Laurel) can replace the Laurels, and equally in Ave Bolivar, complete with White Oak and Roblillo, a flourishing oak of reduced size, endemic to the island.
-------------------------------------

What happened to the Guayacan trees you are planning for Ave Independencia? Oh, you forgot already.

Who makes that decision about whether or not the "infrastructure" is damaged by the trees, or by the 75 years of rot since it was installed and then not maintained? Roberto, or a tree expert, or just the guy working in the street who has a chainsaw in-hand or in the truck? In 10 minutes, it doesn`t matter anymore, without a solid, well-established procedure laid out that is FOLLOWED.

What tree is of "equal ornamental value" to a 60 foot tall, fully mature tree that shades the street - 500 little stick trees that will be of equal size in 50 years, or maybe 25 palm trees that are 20 feet tall when they stick them in the ground and each one costs RD$7500? Sounds like a tough nut to crack. There is no formula provided.

How about just sticking some of the 18 varieties mentioned in the wonderful plan, wherever there is an open space, in random order, between the big old giants that currently exist? That way, when an old guy finally does get cut down, the new one may actually provide some shade at that point, and actually go through a growth spurt with all of the extra sunlight available when the old one finally goes away? And still sticks to your plan to avaoid monoculture.

Sorry, too logical and sentimental. I want to live in a city full of palm trees, and little stick trees that are 10 feet tall when I die. Just like a new suburb covering what used to be part of the Everglades. Cut them all down - well, at least the 80% you don`t like.

Last edited: