Immigration Bill fails to pass in Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The U.S. Senate rejected the new immigration bill by a 49-48....it might be dead.

HB

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
It didn't fail. In fact, many of the Senator supporting the bill voted against cloture -- ending debate and the considiration of changes to the bill -- which is what the vote was.

What happens now is that the Senate takes a pause from debating the bill in order to tend to its other businesses, and than return to it either sometime later this month or in early July.

washingtonpost.com

Last edited:

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
It didn't fail. In fact, many of the Senator supporting the bill voted against cloture -- ending debate and the considiration of changes to the bill -- which is what the vote was.

What happens now is that the Senate takes a pause from debating the bill in order to tend to its other businesses, and than return to it either sometime later this month or in early July.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

You are correct, the immigration Bill will always be back.

Amnesty is necessary to keep the minimum wage as low as possible, the funny part was charging illegal aliens $5000 for residency, one would have to speculate where that money would come from !

I would certainly not accept any fees under thoses circumstances.

Bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What happened?

Only 23% of Americans supported the bill. They did not want it as written. The "populace" spoke, loud and clear. When Congress broke for the Memorial Day recess, their constituents clobbered them back home. I know I did. My Senators and Reps got mail and phone calls. And I understand that the phone lines to the every Senator's office this week were clogged with angry calls, from some of the interviews with staff I heard..

"Amnesty" was nothing more than legalizing 12,000,000 felons, rewarding them for breaking the law with a pat on the head and a government nipple.

If you actually READ the SPECIFIC tenants of the bill, you'd see it was totally unworkable. Paying a fine? Going back home before re-entry? Actually telling the authorities you were in country? C'mon...that is beyond belief. And the bill was FULL of thay type of baloney.

I would suggest that folks should read the 1986 Immigration Bill and tell me why that one was never enforced. Why a new bill? I want to know what was wrong with THAT one. Why not just a Congressional Resolution to fund the enforcement of the old one?

That Immigration Bill would be like the DR passing an Anti-Corruption Bill, requiring voluntary compliance, and praising it as a great step forward..

That bill was a pig in a poke, and did NOT represent the wishes of the American people who want secure borders FIRST. It was a pure exercise in special interest politics. The Republicans wanted continued cheap labor. The Democrats want a large, new voting constituency. But the American people want security and fairness for those who want to come to the US LEGALLY.

Personally, it really pi$$ed me off. Alida applied for US residency in 1999. She got approved in 2005. She went on the SDQ waiting list in May 2006. She has maybe less than a year left. It will have taken her 8 years to go through the process LEGALLY. To reward folks who sneak across the border by giving them Amnesty is a slap in the face of all those folks who have done the Right Thing, and have gone through the process LEGALLY.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with cobraboy. The leaders tried to rush a bad ball through the Senate, but were stopped. Maybe now they will take time to have an open debate on the matter.

C

Chip00

What happened?

Only 23% of Americans supported the bill. They did not want it as written. The "populace" spoke, loud and clear. When Congress broke for the Memorial Day recess, their constituents clobbered them back home. I know I did. My Senators and Reps got mail and phone calls. And I understand that the phone lines to the every Senator's office this week were clogged with angry calls, from some of the interviews with staff I heard..

"Amnesty" was nothing more than legalizing 12,000,000 felons, rewarding them for breaking the law with a pat on the head and a government nipple.

If you actually READ the SPECIFIC tenants of the bill, you'd see it was totally unworkable. Paying a fine? Going back home before re-entry? Actually telling the authorities you were in country? C'mon...that is beyond belief. And the bill was FULL of thay type of baloney.

I would suggest that folks should read the 1986 Immigration Bill and tell me why that one was never enforced. Why a new bill? I want to know what was wrong with THAT one. Why not just a Congressional Resolution to fund the enforcement of the old one?

That Immigration Bill would be like the DR passing an Anti-Corruption Bill, requiring voluntary compliance, and praising it as a great step forward..

That bill was a pig in a poke, and did NOT represent the wishes of the American people who want secure borders FIRST. It was a pure exercise in special interest politics. The Republicans wanted continued cheap labor. The Democrats want a large, new voting constituency. But the American people want security and fairness for those who want to come to the US LEGALLY.

Personally, it really pi$$ed me off. Alida applied for US residency in 1999. She got approved in 2005. She went on the SDQ waiting list in May 2006. She has maybe less than a year left. It will have taken her 8 years to go through the process LEGALLY. To reward folks who sneak across the border by giving them Amnesty is a slap in the face of all those folks who have done the Right Thing, and have gone through the process LEGALLY.

I personally think the only way to really "fix" it would be to have every business in the country required to report illegals or loose their budiness license alltogether. Likewise with apartment owners and such.

The only thing is from a human standpoint this will really tear up a lot of decent folk families - something as a Catholic I would have a hard time doing.

cobraboy, I'm interested in your opinion because I don't see many solutions.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
The US gov't very rarely prosecutes business owners for hiring illegal aliens as employees.

It really is a no win situation. We are NOT going to deport 12 million people back to their respective countries. It's too expensive and too difficult of a task.

I don't buy the arguement that businesses can't survive with out them. I know plenty of business that don't have illegal aliens working for them for less than minimum wage. They survive.

Americans will have to pay more for goods and our children will have to work at the jobs that "no one but the illegal aliens" will do--like years ago.

But since they are here to stay and they aren't leaving I guess we need to focus on not allowing anymore people in.

C

Chip00

The US gov't very rarely prosecutes business owners for hiring illegal aliens as employees.

Yes I realized that - I was proposing that this is what they would have to do to be able to deport the illegals. I don't agree with this method though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And , believe me, NOBODY wants to lose their "Bud (weiser) iness"..

thanks for the opinions. As the son of a legal immigrant, a legal resident here, and father of legal residents and citizens, it seems to me that the US has a great lack of b@lls in this case. If you go to the US, you play by the rules! You should become an American. Not an Dominican York, not a Chinese, Indian, Taiwanese-American..... and this mushyness is really p!ssing a lot of people off. Yes, Perhaps they are the red necks, the uneducated that are being pushed out of some jobs by eager immigrants (many illegals), but they are citizens...and I do believe that a lot of white collar people are also against this amnesty deal....

After I put up the first post I realized that it was not dead inthe water, but it will still take a while, unless the groundswell of Public Opinion crushes it...we'll see...

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, on this note we'll close this before the boss does it for me.
If someone wants to start a specific thread about Dominicans in the States affected by this, please do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.