Csi: Pop

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i declared i was never a victim of crime is DR but came a dsay when i have to take my words back.

i was walking back home from work (minovio was working second job, he normally drives me) - same street i walked many times, off luis ginebra, right opposite brugal storage, with metal arte shop on the corner. i have heard steps behind me i held my bag closer - i always do it and it's always an innocent passerby. not this time, however. a hand grabbed my bag and tried to pull it away, i turned, holding onto my 690 pesos white bag from santiago and saw some rat looking chopo - thin thing, not much stronger than me. but holding a gun....

now, it's funny how clearly one thinks in moments like that - i am now an expert on arms but i have seen many american movies ;) - and few real guns. the one in question was old revolver and to my surprise guy did not shoot, he just banged me on a head (yeah, another head trauma). but have have lots of hair, very thick in a bun in the back of my head and this moron did no damage.

i kept on struggling, screaming (i can SCREAM!) and pushing him onto the street. then i have noticed his friend on a motoconcho, looking by his shoulder, motor running. good HE wasn't after me as he was much bigger then my attacker.

to make long story short - chopo was pulling my bag and hitting me with the gun and i kept pulling bag back and chopo into the street. sure enough another concho passing us stopped to watch the show and then black jeepeta. chopo run away - just in time, as the jeepeta owner pulled the gun out and shot after him. owner of a black jeep with a young morena in the back - thank you.

anyways, chopo run away, few more cars stopped asking if i need help or need to go to the police - no point, even thou police is on another corner. i called minovio and some young dominicans in a car waited with me - thank you as well.

my bag with its contest was saved - i had 41 pesos :cheeky:, my motorola razr and of course cedula that took three trips to SD! :cheeky:. also card from my UK bank and bank book from DR.

having been repeatedly hit with a gun i have now bump size on an orange on my hand plus few cuts, nothing serious even thou one cut is pretty deep. and bastardo broke my nail - it takes time to grow this back, you know!

just wanted to share the story. i don't know if i was stupid or brave to fight...
papi (minovio's dad, that is) promised me pepper spray (he could spare me one of his guns, really). i am in one piece, albeit shaken and cracked.

this is not to say: this damn country sucks. this is to say: gotta be more careful...:squareeye

B

batich

:dead: :dead:

Congrats on still being alive!

Life is good!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
hey thanks for sharing and your attitude is amazing.
I'm glad ya are well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i know, our cousin's wife's sister was shot dead in santiago last year....

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Thank God you are OK. Thank God he didn't shoot you. Maybe he didn't have any bullets in the gun! :)

B

batich

I am so truly happy that it ended so well for you!
You can call this day your second birthday. You are smart girl and you` ll take your lesson I know.

I perfectly understand single men with high testosterone levels who go to this beautiful island in search of women and freedom, and who are well aware of all inevitable dangers and hardships of living and surviving here .

But seeing a woman coming to DR is always a mistery for me.

Each time when I see a gringa walking a street in Sosua my mind stops serving me well.

Warsaw is such a beautiful and safe place now! It is not the same as it was in 1993.

C

Chip00

Wow! You are one tough cookie. I glad things turned out relatively well for you.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sometime it's better to be lucky than good...

I am truly glad it worked out for you BUT you must know that this was not the smartest thing you have ever done. When I worked retail (many, many, many years ago) I always joked that if someone ever pulled a gun on me I would ask if they wanted the cash register gift wrapped and carried out to their car. Fighting unarmed with an armed assailant is just not smart, especially over the pittance you described in your purse.

Once again I am really glad you are only bruised a bit but please rethink your priorities in life, you may never again be so lucky. Oh yes, and go buy a few lottery tickets.

Gregg
(Feeling a little fatherly tonight...)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Sometime it's better to be lucky than good...

I am truly glad it worked out for you BUT you must know that this was not the smartest thing you have ever done. When I worked retail (many, many, many years ago) I always joked that if someone ever pulled a gun on me I would ask if they wanted the cash register gift wrapped and carried out to their car. Fighting unarmed with an armed assailant is just not smart, especially over the pittance you described in your purse.

Once again I am really glad you are only bruised a bit but please rethink your priorities in life, you may never again be so lucky. Oh yes, and go buy a few lottery tickets.

Gregg
(Feeling a little fatherly tonight...)
This is by far the best advise. You got lucky. Next time give up the purse. The purse and everything in it can be replaced. Life can not be replaced.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Natural reactions took over eh Gal?? You really know a lot better than to risk it all for what you had in the bag etc, but you wanted to protect what you had!! As others have said here, Thank Goodness you remained safe (& alive).

Hoping there will NEVER be a 'next time', remember we live just round the corner & the second 'phone call after minovio, should be to us!! 1 minute 28 seconds to get to you (bearing in mind it would be from a standing start!!). ~ Grahame.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i declared i was never a victim of crime is DR but came a dsay when i have to take my words back.

i was walking back home from work (minovio was working second job, he normally drives me) - same street i walked many times, off luis ginebra, right opposite brugal storage, with metal arte shop on the corner. i have heard steps behind me i held my bag closer - i always do it and it's always an innocent passerby. not this time, however. a hand grabbed my bag and tried to pull it away, i turned, holding onto my 690 pesos white bag from santiago and saw some rat looking chopo - thin thing, not much stronger than me. but holding a gun....

now, it's funny how clearly one thinks in moments like that - i am now an expert on arms but i have seen many american movies ;) - and few real guns. the one in question was old revolver and to my surprise guy did not shoot, he just banged me on a head (yeah, another head trauma). but have have lots of hair, very thick in a bun in the back of my head and this moron did no damage.

i kept on struggling, screaming (i can SCREAM!) and pushing him onto the street. then i have noticed his friend on a motoconcho, looking by his shoulder, motor running. good HE wasn't after me as he was much bigger then my attacker.

to make long story short - chopo was pulling my bag and hitting me with the gun and i kept pulling bag back and chopo into the street. sure enough another concho passing us stopped to watch the show and then black jeepeta. chopo run away - just in time, as the jeepeta owner pulled the gun out and shot after him. owner of a black jeep with a young morena in the back - thank you.

anyways, chopo run away, few more cars stopped asking if i need help or need to go to the police - no point, even thou police is on another corner. i called minovio and some young dominicans in a car waited with me - thank you as well.

my bag with its contest was saved - i had 41 pesos :cheeky:, my motorola razr and of course cedula that took three trips to SD! :cheeky:. also card from my UK bank and bank book from DR.

having been repeatedly hit with a gun i have now bump size on an orange on my hand plus few cuts, nothing serious even thou one cut is pretty deep. and bastardo broke my nail - it takes time to grow this back, you know!

just wanted to share the story. i don't know if i was stupid or brave to fight...
papi (minovio's dad, that is) promised me pepper spray (he could spare me one of his guns, really). i am in one piece, albeit shaken and cracked.

this is not to say: this damn country sucks. this is to say: gotta be more careful...:squareeye

I don't beleive a word. BUT if true you are one dumb cookie. I should add LUCKY.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is seriously getting worse. That street, for those who don't know it, is not exactly a deserted back street, it has quite a lot of traffic. And I presume this would have been in daylight, after work? And I've seen you walk, dorotka, when you walked away from my house - she strides purposefully, doesn't exactly look like a victim, body language is the complete opposite.

I don't think I'd have fought back either, but who knows until it happens? I guess this was your automatic response (as in 'bastard will not get the better of me')?

I know you don't want sympathy but if there is any practical help I can offer, please phone me. And think about getting wheels. Like Chip said - one tough cookie. By the law of averages you should be ok for the next 5 years. Beginning to look like it might not be ok to walk in PP in daylight - not good news. Glad you're ok. Sorry about the nail.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dv8 - ya daft bint! Good to hear you got the better of them, but... geez!

With any luck they'll think twice before messing with a gringa (or anyone else) again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks to everyone...

eddy, believe it, all was true!

i know i was "stupidier" than stupid. one thinks so clearly in moments like that and so instinctively.... i did not want to let go off my bag, i did not want to be humiliated, i did not want the guy to "get away with it".

good thing he was a thin, small, stupid chopo, should he be any stronger i would not be able to fight, should he be any smarter he would have shot - if not me then at least AT me or maybe even in the air it would bring SOME sense into me....

guy must have been surprised to meet with resistance, not to mention a string of curses first in polish, then english and finally spanish (stress induced language block).

i know it sounds almost unreal... but i am fine. family meeting decided of getting me pepper spray immediately and car+gun in a long run.

i am confident and even thou i do not flash jewelery and i chose to wear my 50 dollars casio over 1.500 dollars watch i have i will not let myself be intimidated. i live in DR now, i will not be a fearful gringa always stuck in a car, always looking behind my shoulder.

lambada, bushbaby, thanks. i thought about you but i looked a mess, bleeding and dirty - not a pleasant thing to have in your car... but next time... what am i saying, there will be no next time!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dorota, I am surprised you don't carry pepper spray or mace or a zapper, locked and loaded, good to go, when you go on the streets.

I'm surprised all wimminzes anywhere, in any country, don't.

The entire planet is coming unhinged, and one needs to protect himself, because nobody else will.

You shouldn't have fought. But since you chose to do so, I'm glad you made the little prick's life difficult. Perhaps next time he'll think twice before trying that.

Something like this might be worth considering:

750,000 volt stun baton, $33

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am very glad you are ok honey!

BUT WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!!!! Some days you don't use the brains god gave you....

What on earth is in your bag that is worth risking your life over? What if that gun actually worked? What if the guy on the motoconcho had a gun as well?

Life is too short to risk it over a purse, a bank book, a cedula and a few pesos!

Next time - take Fireguy's advice - offer to gift wrap it and get the hell away!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Wow, dv8, you are amazing - you actually tried fighting with them! Congratulations on getting out of the accident without serious damage, being alive and more or less well. Good luck and all the best wishes to you in the future!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At Almost 300 Pounds,and 6 feet 6 inches tall,I would have let him have the purse!

The only time to "resist",is to protect your own life,or that of a "Loved One"!
Not worth dying,or even getting "hit" over property!
If you have a gun,it is good to "Shoot The Bastard" as he flees!:eek:gre::cheeky:
No matter what some posters here want you to believe,the DR is becoming a more dangerous place to live/visit!
The "Drug Culture" has arrived with a vengance!
It is only worse for the Dominicans! They can't leave!
Cris Colon

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Glad you are ok.

It sounds like a skinny crackhead looking for his next fix - who is going to step in and do something about this drug problem? (rhetorical question).