South coast tour

DanaP

May 23, 2007
hi all!

I'm planning a week in Aug to tour the South coast to check out schools, neighborhoods, beaches etc...to determine where exactly me and my son will want to be this coming year (we are planning a move in the fall).

Can anyone recommend places to stay in the area (Punta cana, bayahibe, juan dolio...maybe boca chica) for a night or 2 each? how far are these towns apart? might i just stay in one locale and travel for day trips?

Thanks much!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Punta Cana - Bayahibe about 1 1/2- 2hours. Bayahibe to Juan Dolio about 1 1/2 hours. Punta Cana - Juan Dolio 2 1/2 -3 hrs. Loads of hotels in Punta Cana and no idea which would suit you best. Can't help with Bayahibe either - I've been to a couple of weddings there and all looked OK. Juan Dolio - best bet is Barcelo Capella - 4 star, All Inclusive, and in the end of town near the school.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I was in Bayahibe for a week in May and had a 1 bedroom apartment at the Villa Iguana. It was really spectacular. I haven't much to compare it to but would return there if I were again looking for time in Bayahibe. Another popular rest stop in the town is the Hotel Bayahibe. I haven't stayed there but understand that they have AC and the beds are comfy. While I was at the Villa Iguana a friend was at the Hotel Bayahibe. It sounds like my situation was more quaint but she had no complaints.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Villa or the town.

Kaki

DanaP

May 23, 2007
school info

i am having some trouble finding names and numbers for schools in punta cana & la romana/bayahibe (strangely all my google searches bring up tourist info....go figure....). i think i have the accomodations all set but if anyone has info on the schools, primary that is, in these areas I'd appreciate any info you have. thanks much!!

dana

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are no schools in Punta Cana. they are starting up an English language school and recruiting teachers and so forth. Shoot, there aren't many schools in that whole part of the country except Abraham Lincoln in La Romana. Course, I do not know a whole he!! of a lot about that area.....You wait and see what the good people of the South have to say...

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ask Matilda about Villas del Mar International school in Juan Dolio.
I know people who have children that go there and they seem satisfied.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
School in Bayahibe...

There is a school--elementary to high school--in the most perfectly beautiful location in Bayahibe of which I have pictures posted at http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2475659230064234328WMKlfU Of course children native to Bayahibe go to school there, but you may also see the blonde girl in a picture who is the daughter of a European family who is in Bayahibe running a business. There are a number of those! They have a lot of elbow room and are now graduating students from the high school which is a source of great joy to the community leaders. The school is located on an acheological site as well which is REALLY interesting. It's an area with a strong future.

Kaki

DanaP

May 23, 2007
heard of it?

I actually got some info on a school in Punta Cana. CEPCA en anglais PuntaCana Educational Center. Looks like it was set up for folks who had kids and worked for the Punta Cana Resort & Clubs, but I'm not sure. Maybe they aren't accredited/certified as a school yet or something it's hard to tell from the link i found. Welcome to PUNTACANA RESORT & CLUB go to the Educational Center link.

Does anyone have any info on this school/organization. It sounds like a pretty cool place, the mission statement especially has me intrigued. It talks about educating a whole person and teaching respect for nature. As close to a waldorf focused mission as I've found in my DR school searches thus far.

dana

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, it's supposed to be a good school. There's also the new Heritage school at Cap Cana.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Schools on the south coast

I live in Juan Dolio and work in San Pedro. I have three boys who each spent some time in public school in the US but who have mostly been homeschooled. Two still are homeschooled but one went to Villas del Mar school this year. It was "fine" but not great. I have heard of another school in San Pedro that is very highly thought of. It is called Los Pininos. I know several kids who go there adn their parents are happy with the program.

So, there are two options.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Los Pininos

Anyone have any additional info on this school in San Pedro? I presume it's english speaking, maybe an address or phone number?

I'll hopefully be in town next week and would love to visit this school in addition to the Villa del Mars School in JD.

Thanks!

d

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Gracias

Muchos Gracias everyone!

I'm sure I'll find Los Pininos amongst many other wonderful spots....if i can get there that is. Darn Dean....

hope everyone is safe & that I'll see you there soon!!

d