DR POOL's

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Since I have been going through many real estate sites and looking at villa's I am curious to know why many of the pool's in the DR seem to have a "lip" on them? Instead of being flush .many have a few inch to , one I seen, had a 2 foot "border" on them. Any ideas as to why this is? Is it to try to keep sand out? Thanks for your thoughts.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
It rains pretty heavy in the DR. This probably keeps alot of dirt, rocks and garbage out of the pool during heavy rainfall.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Pool Lip

I find these raised walls funny looking too. I think they do it to save some digging time. Every pool should be highest at the copings perimeter, to allow for gravity to flow the water away from the pools edge. My pool is normal without the raised wall and during a couple of big rainfalls, not only was the pool submerged, the entire backyard was underwater!
Brutal!
Steve:ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I find these pool lips very inconvenient, especially when holding an evening poolside party. There's always a clumsy drunk dude who stumbles against the lip, loosing his balance, and falls into the water, creating great mirth among the other guests.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
When I had my pool built I originally wanted it 'flush' to the floor as I preferred that 'look' However I was advised to have it built a bit higher to keep dirt etc being washed in during rain. I eventually decided to have it build up to 'seating level' so that I have a very wide cream lip all the way round that people can safely sit on and put drinks on. It saves me having to bother with extra seating if I have a few people around and it acts as good safety to stop my 2yr old (or other people's children or animals!) just stumbling or tripping into it. I had cream rock used to build it up and a wide cream textured lip around. We used dark blue pool paint inside to give the effect of a 'lagoon' and the pump house has been built onto the edge of the pool and a waterfall comes down over the roof. The whole effect is very pleasing and I'm really glad I had it done that way now.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My pool has the lip on the water side, thus nothing to trip on and yet serve the purpose of keeping dirt from flowing into the pool. The lip flows gently upward from the outside toward the inner edge of the pool, perhaps 3/4 of an inch or less. Very non-obstructive. Giving the appearance of a tubular edge to the pool wall.

Anyone tripping on that would have already fallen into the pool!

It also makes a nice handle for grabbing onto when in the pool.

Don SantiagoDR