Earthquake 9:39am

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
About 2 minutes ago?did ya guys feel it ? Here it felt as if the building went from side to side. :ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
About 2 minutes ago?did ya guys feel it ? Here it felt as if the building went from side to side. :ermm:

Juanita, the feeling was probably caused by low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Have you had breakfast yet?

scid

Jul 21, 2004
Earthquake!

Yes, we definately felt it - the whole office shook and everything in it!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
From Juanitas description (soft swaying motion) and the duration suggested by the posted chart, the quake was definitely quite aways offshore from the DR mainland, and epicentered deep below the ocean bottom...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was on the road and listening to music "meneando la pera " so i guess I thought everyone was meneando la pera when i saw them move from side to side. i never felt it in my car.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
From Juanitas description (soft swaying motion) and the duration suggested by the posted chart, the quake was definitely quite aways offshore from the DR mainland, and epicentered deep below the ocean bottom...

Watch out all the expats and cueros on the north coast, here comes the tsunami.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
And what does this one means: GBPR_SHZ_PR (2007-06-08)

Juanita, your initial description of the uake suggests that it occurred far away. The quake that you (and others felt) was a massive quake (probably a 5 in the Richter scale) epicentered in the Yucat?n peninsula of M?xico. Of course, seismic stations very far away picked it up, including several in PR.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Correction, the Yucatan quake and the Dominican Republic quake occurred almost simultaneously. It's already on the IRIS Seismic Monitor...

.......DATE..................LAT....LON..MAG.. DEPTH ..........REGION
08-JUN-2007 13:30:43 19.04 -70.41 5.0 59.2 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC REGION

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's my second in few months. no big deal, whole office shook a bit and that's all....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Do earthquakes occur frequently in the DR?
Tremors occur frequently in the DR with the one felt today being about as strong as a tremor gets.

Earthquakes occur less frequently than tremors.

Keep in mind that the reason the Caribbean islands exists is due to two factors:

1. Active volcanoes which is how every island (including Hispaniola) got its start. The only islands with active volcanoes today are small islands in the Lesser Antilles (ie. St. Lucia, etc). Montserrat has the most infamous volcano when half of the island (including its capital) was destroyed when their volcano erupted spewing toxic ash for days (so much ash was released into the air that it actually affected the air quality of places as far away as San Juan, Puerto Rico and to a lesser extent the south eastern portion of the DR) and a giant clyroplasmic avanlanche which pretty much wiped everything in its path.

2. Each and every single island sits on major fault lines which is where the Caribbean tectonic plate meets the Atlantic plate. Hispaniola has the largest number of faults of any island and is among the most active parts of the Caribbean as far as earthquakes are concerned.

The two most worrisome fault lines is the one which crosses the Cibao from east to west and is gradually causing the Cibao Valley to rift apart and the second one (and presumably more power) is just off the north coast.

There are other fault lines south of the island and in other areas which, once they become active, you will feel them on Hispaniola.

The last major earthquake to hit the DR occured 3 or 4 years ago, with the most affected areas being Puerto Plata and the Cibao. If you do a search you might find the threads of expats writing about their ordeal with the earthquake and the aftershocks.

-NALs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I felt it and noted the time. At first I thought it might be Yoshi playing with Hulk. But they were not in the room.
Very minor.

HB