postal services in the DR

gloryboy

May 28, 2007
Hi all

Can someone tell me how the postal service works in the DR, i will be moving there from the bay islands in a couple of months time and here all mail is done via a mailing address in miami and then forwarded here by plane once a week. is it the same in the DR, do i still need a mailing address in the states or can someone from e.g russia send me a package straight to my house in the DR

cheers in advance

Feb 7, 2007
They for sure can send you a package. But I wouln't count on it arriving.
If they send it by UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc. yes in that case it will get delivered directly to your house. But if you are thinking of using the postman, forget about it. Your mailing address in Miami would do best for you.
Lots of people use EPS service.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have PO box in miami, from there EPS takes it to DR. postal service does not exist buy at least there is UPS, DHL and fedex. things can be done but cost a lot.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
EPS Is Having "Legal Problems" In Miami!

The airfreight company they have used for years,is "unhappy" with "EPS". They are "Sueing" eachother. The airfreight company is holding the EPS addressed mail. EPS sent all members an email today with a new address for all mail. If you are waiting for some mail from EPS,it may be "DELAYED"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Business Mail is another alternative. So is CPS.
Depends on just where you will locate. I saw something on this board the other day, like "xmail"??????? up in Puerto Plata. I am sure someone can give you a pointer..

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have a PO box her in Juan Dolio in the south and it works fine. I get all my mail. From the US usually a week and from UK around 6 weeks to 3 months. (Takes a long time to swim). Otherwise if I need something fast I use DHL.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We use EPS in Sosua via the Miami address. Letter type mail arrives with about a 2 day delay. We have UPS and FedX deliver to the Sosua office also, since they know where the office is and maintain a fairly good time schedule. Large bulk stuff takes a few more days due to customs inspection and wanting thier money before releasing. Depending on the bulk item, we give EPS a copy of the purchase price and let them work with customs to get duty paid and item released quickly.

The EPS Miami carrier change/problem started over a week ago. We have not noticed any delivery change/problem.... yet.

Ringo

big wayne

May 22, 2007
Hi can you explain how the post boxes system works? Im i right in thinking that what youre saying is that all the mail you get sent goes to a post office box then EPS pick it up and it arrives at an office in Sosua some weeks later (inthe case of post from the UK?) Fed ex door to door takes how long for a letter of no value. A bank statement for example?

Wayne

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hey big wayne. EPS and other mail services are around the whole Country. Now... look up and read the post above yours.

Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
EPS Sosua has saved us a lot of time and money.

We get two or three Fed'xs per week that need to be read, sign and get it back to the States ASAP. The Fedx guy arrives about the same time everyday and will wait for my wife to "do her thing" and take the return then and there. The staff at the office will have the package on the side so she does not wait in a line, with new envelope ready to go. If Fedx is running late, the EPS office will call us if we let them know that we have something coming.

We also had a bulk item, computer/electronic equip of about 135 lbs. (very expensive and 3 month back order) come to Miami bulk carrier via a well known U.S. carrier. From what EPS in Miami said... Looked like they dropped it from a second floor.... twice. (Box was labeled: fragale, do not drop, this side up, heavy) EPS Miani refused the delivery, filled out the forms and took photos and had the item sent back. We collected the insurance and ordered another. When it got here, again pre-paper work done for customs, the item was in Sosua that day. Due to the 135 lbs, EPS quickly found some guys to load it into my car.

Some things can work here, with a little kindness, understanding and some beer money. Well, at least some of the time and within reason.

Ringo