Organic Food & Leche

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
Hi All,

I have heard about an orgainc market and even having veggies delivered to you. How about milk, eggs, and cheese? Muchas gracias, EK

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Where are you....the country is huge you know.

If you are moving to Santo Domingo, there is an organic supermarket in Piatini, on Gustavo Mejia Ricart near Winstin Churchhill...

Also, I saw organic products at a supermarket in El Million. I do not know if this goes for all the stores though.

Hope that helps.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Mercado Ecol?gico in Mirador Sur sells eggs, and have sold milk, yogurt and cheese in the past, but not at the moment.

There is also a shop called Org?nica (Plaza Catalunya, Piantini) in Santo Domingo that sells quite a lot of imported products and they might do milk and cheese. They definitely have soy milk, soy cheese and soy yogurt.
A lot of dairy production in the DR is small scale and organic by default although without certification, so you might be able to find a place that sells milk, yogurt and cheese that is organic. I've seen a place, I think it is on Ave. Gustavo Mej?a Ricart in El Mill?n, that probably gets its supplies from a small-scale producer.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Typical list from Mercado Ecologico

I translated some of the terms that might not be familiar:

Lechuga Romana
Lechuga Repollada
Lechuga Crespa
Lechuga Crespa Roja
Huevos de codornices
Huevos criollos
Yaut?a (taro)
Batata (sweet potato)
Pepino
?ame blanco
Zuquinis
Miel
Repollo
Casabe (cassava bread)
Apio
Caf?
Coliflor
Avena org?nica
Br?coli
Remolacha
Vainitas (green beans)
Aj?es morr?n (capsicum peppers)
Zanahoria
Acelga (chard)
Papas
Or?gano verde
Tomates
Albahaca
Berenjenas
Mangos
Puerro
N?spero
Verduras (fresh coriander)
Aguacates
Perejil
Habichuelas rojas (kidney beans)
Auyama (gem squash)
Habichuelas negras (black beans)
Aj?es (green peppers)
Habichuelas verdes en vainas
Cebolla
Frutas secas: (Lechosa) (mango) (pi?a) (guineo) (mixta)(higo)
Zapotes
Guineos Verdes (green bananas)
Pl?tanos
Tayotas (chayote)

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
THANKS CHIRI and HOLITA Especially for the info. We have an 11 month old baby who has been raised on organic products to this point and she loves tofu, is a milkoholic and eggs too. really want to get organic milk and eggs for her when we arrive. This is pretty big now in the USA. Chiri thanks too for the translation!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As Holita said, the large supermarkets all have health food, organic fruit and vegetable sections and also sell things like soy milk and tofu. There are several Chinese supermarkets dotted around town.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are a couple on Ave Romulo Betancourt on the stretch between Churchill and Nunez de Caceres, one on Ave. 27 de Febrero esq. Privada, and several in 'Chinatown' - the area round Avenida Duarte and Calle Benito Gonzalez.