Travel

mhispanic74

Feb 3, 2007
I was looking and everyone was saying diffrent stuff about the tourist cards and the depature tax. PLEASE i would like to find out what the right amount is we will be leaving july 13 for a little over 2 weeks with my husband and 3 daughters.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Take a chill pill please. None of us who respond regularly are paid to do this! This kind of attitude will get you nowhere.

The departure tax is $20 US per person. Tourist cards - in many cases are already supplied with your package. Find out from the person you bought your packages through.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Since you posted your first request for info in the Weather Forum; I'm not surprised that you didn't receive any answers but really - two whole minutes from the opening of this thread until a follow-up post...

Planner has correctly stated the case for tourists from Canada but since she can't tell that you are in fact from the US, I'll elaborate for tourists from Canada, the US and the UK (just choose the one which applies; USA, right?):

The following are the norms for Tourists (not residents) and are accurate to the best of my knowledge).

Canada
- All Tour operators include the Tourist Card ($10US per person) in the price of the package so it doesn't have to be paid separately.
- Until recently all Tour Operators DID NOT include the Departure Tax ($20US per person) in their packages so it had to be paid on departure in $US cash. Recently SkyService has announced that they will begin including the Departure Tax in their airline tickets effective July 1/07 and Air Canada Vacations has announced that they will begin including the Departure Tax in their airline tickets effective November 1/07.

USA
- All US passengers are required to pay for the Tourist Card $10US cash per person on arrival.
- No US passengers are required to pay the Departure Tax separately as it is already prepaid in the Taxes section of their airline ticket.

UK
- All UK passengers are required to pay for the Tourist Card $10US cash per person on arrival unless they pre-purchase it from the DR Embassy in London.
- All UK passengers are required to pay for the Departure Tax of $20US cash per person on departure.
- I have heard it mentioned that in the coming winter season there may be some changes to this BUT I have yet to hear anything officially.

In short ALL TOURISTS pay for the Tourist Card and the Departure Tax BUT depending on your origin and carrier, the logistics of how it is paid may differ.

There is one more issue which should be mentioned. You state "we will be leaving july 13 for a little over 2 weeks with my husband and 3 daughters". The Tourist Card mentioned above entitles you to stay in the DR for up to 14 days. Since you are planning to exceed this you should be prepared to pay a penalty or fine for exceeding the 14 day limit. The correct amount of this penalty is $300RD pesos per person for the time frame of 15 days - 3 months. DO NOT PAY MORE and do not offer pay at all unless asked to at the Migracion booth.

Gregg

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
Just a few points to add to Fireguys post.
Tourist Cards are now valid for 30 days.
Despite the exchange rate, Tourist Cards obtained from DR Embassy in London now cost ?10