Dominican teens attitude in the DR

C

Chip00

In my more than two years that I have been living here in the DR I have noticed a distinct difference between the attitudes between teens that grow up here in the DR with teens from the US, including Domincan teens that grew up there as well.

Dominican teens in the DR seem to show more respect to elders in public. They also don't seem to have an air of "arrogance" or permeate a sense that they think the world only revolves around them as is becoming all to increasingly common back home.

This is certainly a postive characteristic and was wondering if others who have lived here in the DR have noticed the same thing.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Teenagers behavior is one of the things that attracted me to the DR. They generally respect their elders (known or unknown), the family is an important thing and not a stroke of bad luck who embarrass them in front of their friends, and they usually respect and listen to their parents.

I have (politely) corrected teens having just a bit too much fun or conversation for the situation (like talking in the theatre during the movie) , and even as strangers in their teens, they understood and then did the right thing without any backtalk or questions. They knew they were clearly out of line.

Dominican teens also seem more sensitive to differences in people`s fortunes, and seem helpful to those less fortunate (more than those who are "callous" such as myself)

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
The teens in this conutry vary from their economical background. They're not so fascinated by crime and being "gangsta" like the ones in NY but over here los jovenes son mas privones...especially the rich ones.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Why do you think they are not disrespectful? Do you think it's because the parents still have control of them--- ie they know that if they dare talk back they will get slapped or is it something else?

Unlike here--- where I have heard children tell their parents to go F-themselves and the parents do nothing.

I find the children/young adults to be very respectful. They go out of their way to say hello to elders. They aren't out of control when they are leaving school.

They are a pleasure to be around.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Children are more respectful in DR which I like alot because respect for elders is a personal value of mines. Kids in NY are horrible. And this is coming from someone who is originally from Washington Heights.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Why do you think they are not disrespectful? Do you think it's because the parents still have control of them--- ie they know that if they dare talk back they will get slapped or is it something else?

Unlike here--- where I have heard children tell their parents to go F-themselves and the parents do nothing.

I find the children/young adults to be very respectful. They go out of their way to say hello to elders. They aren't out of control when they are leaving school.

2LeftFeet....EXACTLY!!!

Unfortunately, this country is gonna go down from the inside out...(USA)

As long as kids know there are 'laws' to 'protect' them...and they can defy their parents, teachers and elders' authorities and call the police when they don't get their stupid way on everything...there will be killings, suicides and what not...

Parents try to be 'friends' to their kids...there is no such thing...YOU ARE THE PARENT...ACT LIKE ONE!!!

It's disgusting to see...My kids tell me all the time "Thanks, Mom...for not letting us grow up like that!"...and they are practicing exactly what I taught them on their own children...

It's a disgrace...

My husband, even at this age, had to account to his Mom and his Grandma where we were going and what time we were coming back...

Respect for your parents and your elders should be a motto instilled in children from birth..

But does anyone ever put that into action???:ermm:

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Easy, because Dominican parents are less likely to accept any cr*p from any harriero mantenido. And even the extended family and friends have permission in the DR to put order and not let a child get away w/ any malcriadesa....I remember one of the most memorable punishments we used to get at home, came from the muchacha trabajadora de la casa. She would make us kneel infront of the couch, with a gulp of water (we weren't supposed to swallow it) and we had to stay like that until our parents came home from work. A aunt of mine, would bathe her children w/ vinegar or would rub javon the cuava in the childrens' mouth. In the time when my grandmother was a youngster, if one of her siblings or her would do something, her father would just have to look at them straight in the eye ....and that would have been enough for them to stay quiet.

The Americans, instead believe that the children are a piece of porcelain doll and that it would be a crime to even give some nalgadas to them. And then they wonder why at age 14 they find the kids doing drugs or hitting them.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
You may say I'm a dreamer...

Dominican teens also seem more sensitive to differences in people`s fortunes, and seem helpful to those less fortunate.
I'm curious. Are those sensitive Dominican teens the same ones who are ripping off all those poor little shoeshine kids?

...those who are "callous" such as myself.
GC, it's never too late to change. Remember Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol"?

Deep down somewhere, I just know you have a kindly, magnanimous, giving side. Please, please, don't be afraid to let it show. No one will think the less of you and it will do wonders for your soul.

"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...? :bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I understand that there are certain Dominicans living in US who, when they feel their kids are getting out of hand, send them to relatives in the DR for a little corrective training :). Over time, I have heard that just the offer of a DR bootcamp.......er......holiday can be sufficient to modify unwanted behaviours.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Let's just say----

That disciplinary action by the Parent at the time the infraction against the "Rules of the House" takes place will go a long ways toward assuring compliance with those rules in thefuture.
To do nothing in the face of rule violation is a mortal sin for parents to commit.
Yet, many parents allow the "small" infractions to go unpunished and thus pave the way for more serious violations in the future.
The role of the parent is to teach and guide their children to perform those actions acceptable by general society and to instill in them the habit patterns that will follow them throughout life. If the parents fail to do that the child becomes an animal dedicated solely to their own desires.

I believe it was Bishop Kean who said,
"Give me a child for the first 5 years of it's life and I will make it what it will be for the remainder of it's life".

Children want what they want anddemand what they want. That is the"survival instinct" created within each and everyone of us. However, that instinct must be guided for thebenefit of society as a whole lest we all end up as the animals in the forest and on the plains.

The key is to instill in the child the self-discipline necessary to always do the "right thing" in all circumstances and to always respect the attitudes and beliefs of others while contiuing to follow the "right path" in life.

Texas Bill

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have two dominican teenage kids - 17 and 16 - boys. They have lived with me for 5 years, since I have been with their father. He brought them up on his own since his 'wife' left when the youngest was 3 months old. They are respectful to me and even more so to him. They do anything we ask - they help me cook, wash up every night, lay the table, very respectful. up to 3 years ago I had to leave the house when their father wnated to hit them with a belt as I couldn't bear to see it, but they were his kids and he had to impose Dominican discipline. he told me it was the only thing they understood, as you cannot reason with Dominican children. They have many plus points and are usually a delight.......but....they are also kleptomaniacs - everything goes fromthe fridge, clothes, bathroom stuff, radiosetc. They take my pasola at night when we are asleep, stole my husbands big bike - ninja and crashed it at 200kms a hour - wrote it off and spent 5 days in hospital etc. But as my husband says ' it is their age'!!! On the whole, much better than British lads of that age.

Matilda

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Can You Say "Jail"

In the U.S. if the parents take agressive correction action towards their teen for being disrespectful or being a brat or just about any other reason, the parents are subject to the Jail time ..... DCYF (Department of Children, Youth and Families) is not always on the side of parents. When I was a child, my parents would beat the crap out of me for being disrespectul. Heck, I am 40 years old and my parents (both elderly) live with me in my home and I would never consider being disrespectful to them or in front of them (to include using bad language). It just that simple - I remember the A$$ woopings and I don't want to get no more......

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
This may back fire!!

I understand that there are certain Dominicans living in US who, when they feel their kids are getting out of hand, send them to relatives in the DR for a little corrective training :). Over time, I have heard that just the offer of a DR bootcamp.......er......holiday can be sufficient to modify unwanted behaviours.

Sometimes, I have seen this happen and the kids that get "deported" for DR boot camp end up being worst in the DR. Depending on the barrio that they get sent to, they might just find the same type of people that he/she associated with back the US and continue doing attrocities. However, I have definetely have seen this strategy work on some kids as I was growing up.