Brits in DR

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Possibly a silly question but does anyone know how many Brits now reside permanently in DR? Interested to meet other Brits if anyone would like to get in touch...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Possibly a silly question but does anyone know how many Brits now reside permanently in DR? Interested to meet other Brits if anyone would like to get in touch...
If the contacts made are too few for you whirleybird &/or you wish to check more fully into those who have made contact, might I suggest a trip to see Mendez - the British Consul here in Puerto Plata.

All Brits. are supposed to join the register (so that the British Consular system can help us in times of stress & insurrection etc.) & Mendez has a pretty good take on who the good ones are, who are the troublemakers (he has had to bail them out etc!!) & will tell you of a couple who may not be on your (or his) lists!

If you DO come in, ask him for my details & (after a 'phone call) we can maybe meet to say 'hi'. We may not get ON of course, but that will be one more 'OFF' your list!! ~ Grahame.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here in Juan Dolio there are 5 Brits living here full time. 2 are trying to leave when they sell their house. What register Bushbaby??? And will they still help if you are married to a Dominican???

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Here in Juan Dolio there are 5 Brits living here full time. 2 are trying to leave when they sell their house. What register Bushbaby??? And will they still help if you are married to a Dominican???

Well..........they should. You haven't given up your British nationality through marriage. I think it is different if you have Dominican citizenship, but marriage alone should not debar you from Consular assistance. If I was a Brit in the DR who was married to a Russian, that shouldn't debar me from British Consular assistance either, should it? So being married to a Dominican is no different.

Was there not a question asked in Parliament about this?

And we're all supposed to register with the nearest Brit. Consular office in DR. So we can be informed of evacuation proceedures in the event of Turks & Caicos declaring war. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To answer the OP's question: How many? Too many!!
And they always complain about the lack of Marmite and good curry.
One lousy Fish n Chips place makes headlines....

sheesh!!!

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
To answer the OP's question: How many? Too many!!
And they always complain about the lack of Marmite and good curry.
One lousy Fish n Chips place makes headlines....

sheesh!!!

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
HB
I don't find the need to bemoan the lack of fish & chips:bored:, marmite :squareeye etc (although a GOOD, spicy curry :bunny: would be welcome I admit), .......... what I moan about these days is the lack of additional good company on the golf course!:cheeky:!! ~ Grahame.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I don't like Marmite anyway and can make pretty good fish 'n' chips and curry here if I am so inclined.......... missed the part of the Heinz Baked Beans thread which also gave the statistics, sorry. and take your point also thank you Lambada. Had no idea we were meant to register with British Consul so that is helpful ty - will give you a call when we get around to calling on Mendez in POP Grahame but have to say cannot help you out with regard to a golfing partner!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
........... will give you a call when we get around to calling on Mendez in POP Grahame but have to say cannot help you out with regard to a golfing partner!!
Not to worry whirleybird, that was a very friendly leg pull at a certain "Gentleman" (Knight of Cibao) who used to play with us every week but now finds throwing people to the ground more fascinating!! :ermm::surprised. And he has the nerve to criticise us Brits for liking Fish & Chips??!!!

(Hope to see you soon OLD buddy!;):pirate:!). ~ Grahame

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not to worry whirleybird, that was a very friendly leg pull at a certain "Gentleman" (Knight of Cibao) who used to play with us every week but now finds throwing people to the ground more fascinating!! :ermm::surprised. And he has the nerve to criticise us Brits for liking Fish & Chips??!!!

(Hope to see you soon OLD buddy!;):pirate:!). ~ Grahame

Aha I see!!! yet again - just one request if you don't mind and with respect.... don't keep making insinuations about other people when replying to me. I find DR1ers helpful and likeable so why, every time I post a thread, do I have to endure comments which relate to someone else? I thought all that was "put to bed" by Camden Tom and Rocky's acceptance of the mistaken identity quite a while ago now. Will look you up in POP or hope to meet with you at the 1st July bbq at Las Canas. Regards, Shirley

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry for any misunderstanding whirleybird but I have been posting on this board since God was a by & most people have got to know my weird sense of humour. I doubt I shall be changing my jocular 'ASIDES' to good friends anytime soon - they would think I had gone soft on them or something!! :cheeky:

Re the problem of "Mistaken Identity'" for someone else that lives in your area - I can see where that problem arose & can not fault anyone for their initial suspicions. I did exactly the same thing!! I have had the fortune however, to know of someone you ave befriended over there & can vouch for YOUR authenticity - i.e. you are who you post as & NOT a sock-puppet/pseudonym of an earlier British Twit!! Hope all that have insinuated otherwise will now let that matter drop!! ~ Grahame

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey whirleybird, no way anyone could mistake you for Twit, Avocado, Se?or Fake Wine and Whiskey on the North Coast, or anyone of those twisted multi-voices that belong to one person. Laugh about it ... some similarities initially but all is good now.