Someone stole my propane tank...

C

Chip00

It appears someone climbed over my 8 foot high wall around my house and carted off the propane tank.

I won't be so stupid the second time around as I am bolting the sob to the ground and there ain't now way to move it without creating a lot of racket.

Also, as there is nothing on top of the wall I'm going to pay someone to install metal "spikes" about 8" o.c. all around the top for RD13k.

We are alao locking up everything of real value in the house and I'm leaving the back yard lights on and talked to my neighbors who live across a small open field in the back to keep an eye out for people "anadando de noche".

We have 5/8" twisted wrought iron bars in every window and doors and the doors close with key locks that will supposedly lock shut if someone tries to enter by force. Also, the iron bars are secured in at least 6 places apeice with 1/2" bars that are embedded into the concrete.

Other than getting another dog that actually hates strangers instead of loves them like our worthless toy poodle and getting a shotgun, what else should I do (moving away from the DR is not an option). I am somewhat worried that someone wil try to enter the house even though that hasn't happened where I live and there are certainly house close by a lot nicer and with much more nicer apparent "trimmings".

Thanks

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
'what are my options"

Seems like you have committed a crime and your sentence is 10 years behind bars. How can you live like this? "Leaving the DR is not an option"
but living like a prisoner is?

john

Boca Bob

Jun 1, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalmike295
Broken glass around the perimiter will help, Do they sell land mines here?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Razor Wire

I was looking for advice bergmeister!!!!!! :)

Put this on your wall:

200pxnatodrahtcx0.jpg

m'frog

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
It's sad to say that thieves are everywhere in the DR. A few years ago I bought my mother-in-law a brand new washing machine which was kept in a laundry structure that we have on our property. One day the machine mysteriously "walked away" in spite of the locked port?n and high cinder block walls all around the property and several dogs in the yard who did not bark. We later found out that the culprit was her drug addicted son who is now watched like a hawk whenever he comes by.
It might be a good idea to install a wireless camera system around the property, which is what I will soon do.

B

batich

It appears someone climbed over my 8 foot high wall around my house and carted off the propane tank.

I won't be so stupid the second time around as I am bolting the sob to the ground and there ain't now way to move it without creating a lot of racket.

Also, as there is nothing on top of the wall I'm going to pay someone to install metal "spikes" about 8" o.c. all around the top for RD13k.

We are alao locking up everything of real value in the house and I'm leaving the back yard lights on and talked to my neighbors who live across a small open field in the back to keep an eye out for people "anadando de noche".

We have 5/8" twisted wrought iron bars in every window and doors and the doors close with key locks that will supposedly lock shut if someone tries to enter by force. Also, the iron bars are secured in at least 6 places apeice with 1/2" bars that are embedded into the concrete.

Other than getting another dog that actually hates strangers instead of loves them like our worthless toy poodle and getting a shotgun, what else should I do (moving away from the DR is not an option). I am somewhat worried that someone wil try to enter the house even though that hasn't happened where I live and there are certainly house close by a lot nicer and with much more nicer apparent "trimmings".

Thanks

I use motion detectors and they already helped me twice.

But even with all our guard dogs, bars, broken glass on the top of the wall and a gun in the drawer here we are much more free than so called "men" in some "paradises of freedom and democracy".

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Mr. Batard--you REALLY have a problem! Why don't you re-read several comments made about your personality earliar this week and get a life and stop the US bashing whether it be implied or direct.

Have a rotten day.

JOHN

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Why do you assume it was over the "wall"?

It could easily have been over the front metal fence Chip. Probablly eaiser then going over the wall. Better foot holds to climb over the metal spikes in the metal fence to avoid them. Before I raised my walls in place of the metal fence, I climbed over the fence a few times because I did not want to walk all the way around to the gate.

When I told my wife about this today, the first words out of her mouth was, "he didn't have it chained down?"

Sorry to say, but in this country, everything inside the property line of importance, needs to be secured, such as placed behind an enclosed secure area. The perimeter wall is NOT an enclosed secured area.

I will try to stop by and see you today Chip, hope you will be home.

Don

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
stop the US bashing whether it be implied or direct.

-Why is it that Americans get so sensitive with this "US bashing" ???

I haven't read anything, so far, in that thread, that is offensive to Americans... Ok, Batich was a bit "tongue in cheek", but Johne's first post invited it, as he was "DR bashing" !

-Who cares ?

No country is perfect ! Not even the US of A... Sorry !

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As of Chip's issue, I would say razor wire on top of the wall is a good idea. Also build some kind of padlock for your new gas tank would make sense...

Bars on windows are a must, even with that "gato hidrolico" thing... Bars will discourage cheap thieves...

Not leaving anything outside at night also helps...

But there's only so much you can do... Those thieves are sometimes very inventive !

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
As of Chip's issue, I would say razor wire on top of the wall is a good idea. Also build some kind of padlock for your new gas tank would make sense...

Bars on windows are a must, even with that "gato hidrolico" thing... Bars will discourage cheap thieves...

Not leaving anything outside at night also helps...

But there's only so much you can do... Those thieves are sometimes very inventive !

Other than in isolated cases, ie. the washing machine or a propane tank, they cops know who the thieves are. In Sosua there are several breakins every day. Most are not reported. The cops know who they are and "They don't give a sh*t anyway". Cash - Jewlery - Cell Phones - Lap Tops are their favorites. And yes they are very inventive. I'm sure there are 10/15 times more thefts in the DR "per capita" than in most other countries. And, it's not just the "Gringos" the Dominicans get hit also.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
9,700 volts

We were robbed one afternoon, bright sunny day, stole about RD$135,000 of goods, had an alarm installed. They came back the following week, the alarm did scare them away, thank goodness................but I knew it was only a fluk.

We install palometas on the perimeter wall and on the cyclone fence and strung up 14 alambre de pua and conected a 9,700 volt fence energizer.

Been tranquilo ever since, only way they will get in this time is to pulll the front gate down with a vehicle, and I would not put it past them, but until let the chispas fly.......

Oh the neat thing is, largatas, every time one comes in contact between the hot wire, chispas and pows until he is cooked and dried out, nice efect at night, and most people being so ignorant of electricity well, cool...............

Have somebody buy a unit from tractor supply in the states, use the most powerful unit say 100 mile energizer or about 9,700 volts, yes the ag units are pulsed, so the do not actually kill anybody,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ahh

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
-Why is it that Americans get so sensitive with this "US bashing" ???

-Who cares ?
I do.
As far as your other questions I will not be able to answer them as it will be off topic as your post was. Sorry.
john

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I am of the mind, that if someone really wants to rob you.. they will find a way.

So I try to be active in watching what is going on around my property. Security camera with monitor in my office and a few motion detectors. Dogs that bark (a lot). NO ONE, especially the police and the people that work for my neighbors, come past the gate and I do not open it unless I know the person. I make it a point to go out and look at anyone hanging around in the eye and take photos, annoying some that don't return. I have the glass shards on most of the wall and plants with nasty stickers in certain areas. Everything outside is put away or locked down. I keep several security lights on at night and the front gate is opened/closed with the hand held button, not having to get out of the car at night or having to approch the gate to open, leaving a distance from a person that I do not know. Live in caretaker (that can sleep thru anything) Door bolts that require a key to lock/unlock, not only on the entry doors but some of the inside ones too. Bedrooms and office on the second floor, a locked iron gate on the stairs at night. (We do have an emergency escape plan if needed.) I do not have bars on my windows, I don't like to have that live in prison feeling, but have thick safety type glass (and double glass at some windows/doors) that is difficult to break and takes a lot of time and more noise to get thru.

I can not stop the determined thief, I do let them know that I am watching, slow them down, make them make noise and provide more time for me to hit the alarms, house and car.....and get my gun. (That I have let everyone know I have.) And yes, our main house construction materials have been stolen while we lived in an apt. in front of the property. .. was three of the neighbors live in people that learned our habits and how to get over the wall.

Good luck, Ringo

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I had 3 tanks stolen from my yard one afternoon with lots of people around. I?m sure it was the guys from the gas company that usually comes to fill them up and know exactly where they are. Since then I bought a dog and secured the tanks with chains and locks..never had the problem again.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Cameras and electrified wires?

Assuming you had really good cameras and got good mug shots of the thieves red handed..... what would the police do if given the photos? (Assuming it was not a picture of a fellow cop)

If your electrified fence/wire/trap malfunctioned and the thief died? what are the legal ramifications? (again assuming it was not a cop that died)

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Not a trap

Assuming you had really good cameras and got good mug shots of the thieves red handed..... what would the police do if given the photos? (Assuming it was not a picture of a fellow cop)

If your electrified fence/wire/trap malfunctioned and the thief died? what are the legal ramifications? (again assuming it was not a cop that died)

ITS NOT A TRAP, it is pulsed high voltage, designed to shock and deter passage not to kill, you ever get a spark plug coil shock will you toch it again on PURPOSE, No of course not.

I do suppose if one managed to get tangled up that it would stop the heart but what were they doing crossing over an eight foot high block wall topped with barbed wire??????????????????

I do not know what the ramifications if it could happen but, my wife and my two boys saftey are worth the risk!