Shooting a thief in my house/yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip00

I know this has been talked about before but with the recent break in in my yard I want to clarify what rights I have as far as shooting the perpetrator. Let's assume for this case that I have my gun, residency and permit.

What I understand is that If they are in the process of breaking inside of my house I can shoot them without fear of legal problems but how does it work if I shoot and injure them while they are in my yard?

Also, what if I shoot them in my yard with rocksalt with my shotgun and only minorly injure them? Will there be legal ramifications

I'm looking for mostly serious replies - ie burying somebody is not an option - thanks.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I know this has been talked about before but with the recent break in in my yard I want to clarify what rights I have as far as shooting the perpetrator. Let's assume for this case that I have my gun, residency and permit.

What I understand is that If they are in the process of breaking inside of my house I can shoot them without fear of legal problems but how does it work if I shoot and injure them while they are in my yard?

Also, what if I shoot them in my yard with rocksalt with my shotgun and only minorly injure them? Will there be legal ramifications

I'm looking for mostly serious replies - ie burying somebody is not an option - thanks.

Chip00;

Don't know about "in the yaard" here, but in theUSA, if you shoot someone in your yard, be sure to drag them into your house before you call the cops. That way they are guilty of "breaking andentering" and you're "scot free" of charges. I think the same rule would apply here though not sure.

Texas Bill

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Chip,

I asked this info a few years back from a senior officer here. He told me make sure I shoot them ON MY property, if they are outside drag them in and this would cover me. The aftermath might be if the family decide to sue you, as happens here,,, or take revenge

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
From what my D.R. lawyer told me:

If someone has broken into your home or in the act of breaking in, you have the right to protect your home and self. BUT.. his next words..
CALL HIM FIRST. I have all his phone numbers and two associates numbers. Let them contact the police and wait for the lawyer and "his team" to arrive and "contain and control" the situation before I talk to anyone and try keep any unexpected police or others from entering, letting them know that your lawyer is on his way and giving them his name and number.

Problem.. If the intruder is not dead, you have to consider aid and/or medical treatment.

My lawyer also said the same goes for uninvited persons entering your walled/gated property. That is that the gate was not left open or opened for them.

Other legal expert advise would be welcomed by me also.

I have had many police and inspectors demanding that I open the gate and let them enter to inspect construction, permits and "for my safety. I give them my lawyers name and phone number... and keep the gate closed. Nothing they can do.... but leave. They seldom call my lawyer.

Ringo

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The real question here is " what would Jesus say if you took a life for a tank of gas" ?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
So instead of saying "silly me" for not locking up your gas cylinder, (and NOOO, I`ve never seen a gas cylinder that wasn`t locked up with a good chain and a big padlock , but then again, I've only seen DOMINICANS gas cylinders, and not gringo's) - you want to shoot the next person who comes into your yard uninvited. (as long as you don't get in trouble)

Have you ever heard of "insurance"? It's just STUFF, bud. You can replace it. You can insure it. The insurance companies in the DR are not LIKE the ones in the US, and they have NEVER fought me on a claim, or on paying a claim. The insurance companies get it here, that **** happens, and they pay.

Sep 19, 2005
The insurance companies get it here, that **** happens, and they pay.

and then YOU pay.......

hey folks its just a QUESTION he asked....like getting the facts before hand...to make sound decisions in the heat of the moment.

Carlos..if a guy is in the process of grabbing your wrsit to pull your watch off....do you just wait till he is done and call the insurance company???

getting a gun, and asking questions, does not a death make!

bob

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Acting Or Calling the Lawyer?

...CALL HIM FIRST. I have all his phone numbers and two associates numbers.
In many situations this would not be of help (at 4 a.m., immediate decisions required).
Unfortunately thieves are normally armed with guns nowadays (as are police... ;) ) and to defend yourself and the family one might have to take ugly decisions...
Not easy, that.

m'frog

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Good for you CHip, protection of your family comes first, these criminals may start off with your propane tank, but they can easily put home invasion on their resume, God forbid. Get Armed, just in case. Good luck.

Ricardo
"If you are found here tonight, you will be found here in the morning."

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My post and I think Chips, are focused on the legal rights and possible consiqunsis based on law in the Dominican Republic.

Perhaps this should be in another section:
The moral, ethical and real situation reaction of a confrontational situation, I think, is within each individual and hopefully, becomes part of the "right" response within that perhaps, slit second before performing an action that can never be changed.

Ringo

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Good for you CHip, protection of your family comes first, these criminals may start off with your propane tank, but they can easily put home invasion on their resume, God forbid. Get Armed, just in case. Good luck.

Ricardo
"If you are found here tonight, you will be found here in the morning."

Whats the Spanish translation for "If you are found here tonight, you will be found here in the morning"

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
and then YOU pay.......

hey folks its just a QUESTION he asked....like getting the facts before hand...to make sound decisions in the heat of the moment.

Carlos..if a guy is in the process of grabbing your wrsit to pull your watch off....do you just wait till he is done and call the insurance company???

getting a gun, and asking questions, does not a death make!

bob

------------------------------
Sorry Bob, I don`t wear a watch , or any other jewelery. It's just decoration, and would make some small mind think that I am a target. I choose to not lead someone else into temptation, which is why I also have a big chain on my propane tanks, AND WHY I HAVE INSURANCE. Go ahead and take it all. I'll have a check in a week.

This type of insurance here is pretty cheap - I think I pay about US$400 a year for my coverage, and I sleep like a baby.

Maybe Chip is better off getting a big homeowners or renters insurance policy for responsibilidad civil, and then he can start blasting away. As long as his "victim's" family gets paid off, he won't go to jail, right?

C

Chip00

The real question here is " what would Jesus say if you took a life for a tank of gas" ?

You guys are so funny.

I didn't mean to imply that I would purposely shoot someone for trying to cart off something, rather more or less what would happen if I shot someone in my yard "in the heat of the moment" thinking that they were trying to enter the house.

To clarify, therefore - I don't intend on shooting anybody who I don't think is a threat to me or my family.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Depends TB

Chip00;

Don't know about "in the yaard" here, but in theUSA, if you shoot someone in your yard, be sure to drag them into your house before you call the cops. That way they are guilty of "breaking andentering" and you're "scot free" of charges. I think the same rule would apply here though not sure.

Texas Bill

In Indiana they do not have to be drug into the house. Had a DA state this a few years ago when just that happend. Guy shot a trespasser and drug him into the house. Cops figured out what happened, and thats when the DA said the guy went to too much trouble, trespassing was enough.

But as a general rule probably a good idea. not all states have equal laws.

I always liked the sign

THIS HOUSE GUARDED BY SMITH AND WESSON THREE DAYS A WEEK, GUESS WHICH DAYS.

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
Chip00;

Texas Bill

we're in the DR....i dont give a rats a$$ about the usa!!!!!!!!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
do they have Dominican CSI ? if you drag them in the house you will surely leave a blood trail and drag marks in the yard. additionally, the angle of entry is a consideration (don't shoot them in the back). if you have a large caliber gun you might get a "thru and thru" which will leave the bullet located somewhere outside your yard.
i'm not trying to be funny but cover ALL your tracks....

Sep 19, 2005
do they have Dominican CSI ? if you drag them in the house you will surely leave a blood trail and drag marks in the yard. additionally, the angle of entry is a consideration (don't shoot them in the back). if you have a large caliber gun you might get a "thru and thru" which will leave the bullet located somewhere outside your yard.
i'm not trying to be funny but cover ALL your tracks....

ha ha ha....they cant even get breathalyzers right......the dr!!! a vengefull mans paradise:ninja:

bob

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006

Serious replys, huh?

Well, first things first, good buddy.

Minorly?

Now for the serious reply:

Shooting someone is unthinkable. Let them get the gas tank and whatever. Run for your life. I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.