Any Good Neurologists and Neurosurgeons in the DR??

roches

Jun 5, 2007
So, I'm truly beginning to think that I may come WITH my boys...and not wait 5 years...I've checked with blue cross blue shield, and my insurance would cover me out of the country. But I have had a difficult time trying to find Neurologists in the La Vega area. Does anyone know of any that they would recommend? I would need someone available to monitor my health...and even wonder if the quality of care (non-emergent and emergent) may be comparable to that offered in the US due to the difference of lifestyles...not so "me, me, me...money money money" driven.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If La Vega is a must, then you have to come to Santiago for your neurologist/neurosurgeon. The best are located in Santiago and Santo Domingo.
The most famous is Jos? Joaqu?n Puello, a London trained neurosurgeon, he is in Santo Domingo at Cl?nica Abreu...
If you need references for Santiago, let me know and I'll get you a few.

HB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Dr Adriano Rossi, Italian in Centro Medico Santiago saved my life with 2 tricky brain ops (for a fractured skull and a blood clot on the brain which affected my heart). HB can verify if I have the name correct of the clinic.

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Thank you both...that's a relief, I was starting to worry when I hadn't gotten any responses...how far is Santiago from Jarabacoa? It's relatively close, yes.

Do either of you have contact information to these clinics...and what are the possibilities of someone being able to speak English with me? If not, could I write?

I'm really starting to think, if these doctors are familiar with my illnesses than there will be no need for me to travel back and forth to the states except to visit family...and seriously, won't they want to visit ME :cheeky:

wtlaw

Dec 21, 2006
The Top Neurosurgeon in the island is in Sto Dgo, Dr. Santiago Valenzuela (Nacho). Trained in France with already 20 years of sub-specialized surgical practice. As a Neurologist his knowledge base is second to no other. Practices in all the big Medical Centers in la capital. I personally recommend him with no hesitation. However, as it happens with the best, He is a very busy fellow.

Jan 5, 2006
In La Vega, the best medical care available is at Clinica La Concepcion. However, as has been already mentioned. if you really need top notch care, you have to get over to Santiago (approx. 40 minutes by car) or Santo Domingo (approx. 1:45 by car).

roches

Jun 5, 2007
Here's a BIG question....please bear in mind that I am fairly naive with how the country functions...say I'm in my mountain house in Jarabacoa, and I get sick and need emergent care. Do they have 911? Will an ambulance come to get me...how long would it take...and would they take me to Santiago? Should I have some type of arrangements made in advance?

Or should I not live in the mountains?

roches

Jun 5, 2007
And can I just say...I appreciate you all for taking the time to answer my questions...this forum...more importantly, the people who make it what it is...is a wonderful source of information, and for me...a blessing.

Jan 5, 2006
You better make your own arrangements, no matter where in this country you live. Emergency response of any type (medical, police, fire) is not one of the strong points of this country. ;)