Soundproofing panels for my window

C

Chip00

I was wondering if soundproofing panels are to be found in the DR. I have a window I would like to cover up because of all the racket cause by some new construction that I think will probably going on for at least a couple of years.

It doesn't have to be pretty or match anything but be effective - it is for my office.

Thanks

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I keep my propane tank against my window and it blocks most of the sounds of my noisy neighbors.

tambo'

C

Chip00

I thought about that actually but then remembered my office is on the secoond floor... on second thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone! :glasses:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
How are you going to hear the ladrones with the soundproof window?

BTW:

Your method of securing the new propane tank,
leaves open the ability of the ladrone to steal the pressure regulator valve.

Hope you bought a spare!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lots of info online about window plugs etc. You will not find the "real" ones here, I have looked, extensively. Your best bet will be wood and use it as a window plug. Dense wood, usually has better sound absorption characteristics.
Foam or carpet backed also helps.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sound insulating products in this country are ridiculously expensive, as they are bulky and costly to import.
I have had great success with cardboard egg crates.
If decor is a concern, you can insulate with the crates and cover with whatever you want for appearances.
If you can't get your hands on any, I have some here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :)

This is the reason why you get kicked off of the board, responses of absolutely no value. Shad, I suggest you engage brain before posting again, otherwise you might find in the future your posting privileges will be revoked permanently.

Carry on...

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
If you want to block the window entirely, white insulation foam is sold in sheets at ochoa in santiago. You can also have custom double pane sounds insulating glass put in. There are some germans operating a wooden window company operating in sosua and they can do it. sorry, I dont have their contact info.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can also have custom double pane sounds insulating glass put in.

Double pane doesn't always mean better sound attenuation. All depends on the glass and the type of enclosures used. Ideally laminated glass on one side should be used on the inside panes, good luck in finding those here. If you do, they will be VERY expensive.

We had a problem in the office with sound, we back up onto a school.
To get around this we put up thick wood paneling and drywall for the two small outside windows. The large sliding window we left, built a wall 6" inside and fitted a double pane sliding window. The 6" air gap between the windows really helps cut down on the noise.

I know that doesn't solve the OP's original problem, but it gives you an idea of what you need to do, to cut out noise :(

Jan 5, 2006
Go to an upholstery supply shop and get some foam (the one used for sofa padding) cut to size. You can then put a piece of plywood over that, and cover it all with a nice curtain. That should do the trick! :)

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
To do the job right, you need double pane glass with an argon gas fill inbetween. The two sheets of glass must be of different thickiness too. It will be costly, but these guys know what they are doing.

another solution is to sandwich about an inch and a half of sand between two layers of plywood. it will weigh about 200+ lb but it will stop sound dead.

an easier but less messy solution is 2 layers of drywall on both sides of a stud wall. The space in between studs should be filled with insulation of anytype, even shredded newspaper.

Added:Laminated glass is VERY expensive here. I believe a company called lamisil in santo domingo is the place to get it

Last edited: