Coo-eee... Are there any other Aussies living here?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
G'Day

Wondering if there are any other Australian's living in this island paradise?

My boyfriend and I are in the process of relocating to Santo Domingo from Perth, Western Australia for a new mining project and would be interest to hook up with any fellow aussies.

Susan
:alien:

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Good luck!

Hi there, we came back from the Dominican Republic a few weeks ago. We had planned to stay for 6 months but left after 3 weeks after we were robbed at gunpoint in our apartment (we were staying in Cabarete). I just wanted to wish you luck, you are in for a real adventure.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
G'Day

Wondering if there are any other Australian's living in this island paradise?

My boyfriend and I are in the process of relocating to Santo Domingo from Perth, Western Australia for a new mining project and would be interest to hook up with any fellow aussies.

Susan
:alien:

Hi Susan,

I dont hail from Australia but from England, but coincidentally my step daughter has just relocated from England to Perth.

We came to live in DR a year ago and I must admit that I found some of the DR1ers a little hard to cope with at first (some of that was admittedly due to a mistaken identity problem which I won't go into here).

There is voilent crime everywhere in the world these days so don't let a bad experience of a fellow Aussie put you off. Just follow some basic guidelines which I am sure you will find on here from others who have relocated and you and your other half will be fine I am sure.

I just posted to wish you luck in your new adventure and hope you are as happy in DR as we are - good luck!!

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Hello Peoples

Thank you for your posts. Gosh, spaceman, what a terrible experience that must have been you. I don't blame you at all for packing up and moving home.

We won't be moving here until later in the year, but I will be making a couple of trips on business. My first visit is coming to an end. I have loved every minute of it.

I think you are very right, whirleybird. There is violence everywhere in this world. I spend many years travelling SE Asia and Europe and have to admit that I felt safer in most of these countries than I do in my own home town which is fraught with home burgularlies, rapes and assaults. People get off on raping 80+ year old women. Go figure.

We are taking every precaution that we can to ensure our personal safety. Choosing our apartment in a good area, up high and with security is a priority.

Thanks all for you posts.

Susan

spaceman

Jan 5, 2006
Hi whirleybird, we were in Costa Azul.

Susan, yes it was a terrible experience, my husband comes from Canada so we are able to spend the rest of our trip there rather than going straight back to Australia. (not looking forward to the llloooonnnggg flight back!)

I hadn't posted about the experience before, but when I heard a fellow Aussie was planning on going to the DR I felt the need to speak up. Of course we would never have gone if we knew how the trip would end, but we did get a lot of positives out of it.

I would suggest for one of your business trips, if it is possible to stay in an apartment rather than a hotel, in an area you are considering living, that would be a very good idea. There is a huge difference between being a tourist and living somewhere.

You sound like nice sensible people, and I wish you all the best! Hopefully you will have a fantastic adventure.

Alison (Adelaide, Australia)

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Thanks Alison.

It must have been very difficult for you the share such a traumatic experience.

I make the loooooong trip back to Perth tomorrow... not looking forward to spending 46 hours in transit!

I wish you and your husband all the best for the rest of your stay in Canada.

Susan